Constitution cross section:1/93 figures,and netting?

After letting it sit on the shelf for MANY years, I've taken up my Mamoli constitution cross section kit again, as a learning model for future kits. II hope to start a build log soon but I have two random questions...

Does anyone carry 1/93 scale crew figures dressed appropriately? It might be fun to have some little guys on deck and up in the rigging to add a bit of life to the model. Maybe some rats for the hold? 😉

What is that netting on top of the rails used for on the original ship? I'll post future questions when I get my log up and running. Thanks.

I don't think you'll find 1/93.  Probably 1/96 should be close.    Can you show a picture of the netting you're asking about?  I'm thinking it's the stowage for the hammocks but not certain this is what you mean.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No, on English and American ships they would have been stored in the netting.   It gets them out of the way below deck and also provides some protection for the crew in battle.   The French didn't use hammocks.   I'm not sure about the Spanish.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

No, on English and American ships they would have been stored in the netting.   It gets them out of the way below deck and also provides some protection for the crew in battle.   The French didn't use hammocks.   I'm not sure about the Spanish.

Thanks, that makes sense. In addition to the netting itself, I wonder if it might be worth it to try to simulate the rolled up hammocks inside the netting.

Mark, I hate to contradict you, but the French and the Spanish did use hammocks. Not sure though since when:

https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/models/bellepoule/090124-72.jpg

LA BELLE POULE (1834) in the Musée de la Marine, Paris

https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/madrid/121235-72.jpg

Armoured frigate VICTORIA (1867) in the Museo Naval, Madrid

The easiest figures to find and with the largest range are the German Preiser model railway figures in 1:90 scale. Of course their dresses have to be adapted, but their sculpting and animation is excellent. There are many tutorials on the Internet on how to convert styrene figures.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks for correcting me.  I wasn't aware that the Belle Poule of 1834 had them.   I've come across no signs of them in French frigates prior to that time using ANCRE as a major source.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

L'Egyptienne of 1799 also had them, according to the new monograph by M. Delacroix.

Tony