Constitution 1:96 Revell

jmegnin@ymail.com

Hi out there My name is Jim and I have a question on the placement/attachment of the 'b' block to the mast tops in the running rigging( w/o sails ).  Any info would be great and if more info is required you can 

contact me at XXXXX.XXX    (Email addy removed by moderator to prevent you being spammed.

Jim, 

I am assuming that the b-block nomenclature is referring to the type and size of the block as per your rigging plan.  Could you say what part of the rig or what line you are referring to?  There are many, many blocks in the tops for the Constitution.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

than's how Revell designates the different blocks

1555428694_leftupper-page1.thumb.jpg.8ac994318769709afbb9f104ea9b995e.jpg

968025696_leftlower-page1.thumb.jpg.870bdce945eb986105ee3e12d7dffcad.jpg

do you have the running rigging sheet?  the halyards run through the masts and lead down to a pulley assembly.  supper is ready and I gotta go.......look this over and see if it helps.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I know this is for the United States....they have the same instruction sheets :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good day popeye2sea jmegnin here got your message and drawing yes it is the same set of instructions 

In detail B it shows B block with instructions to tie to mast top I see that is toward the stern of the ship, but 

it does not show the location of the block from port to starboard and there is no pre-drilled holes for the

attachment of the block. Can you help. Also, I have had the honor of visiting both the Constitution and her

sister ship the Constellation located in Baltimore. Great ship and history.

OK, so first let me say that I think the rigging plan for these topgallant and the royal halyards is incorrect.  There are tackles in this position on the actual ship however they are for the lower yard truss tackles.

I actually do not remember how the halyards run on the ship.  I will take a look and report back.

That being said, if you are going to stay with the plan I would temporarily position a line that runs from the sheave hole on the mast to the belaying pin on the pin rail where it will belay.  Mark the position where it crosses the top.  That is where I would put the "B" block so that the tackle ends up in line with the lead of the halyard.  You may have to drill a hole in the top so that you can fasten the block.  You will end up with the topgallant halyard coming down to one side of the mast and the royal halyard coming down on the other.  You should lead the fore halyards opposite to the main halyards.  In other words if the fore topgallant leads to starboard then the main topgallant will lead to port. 

BTW, the "B" block is a single block with a becket.  The becket is that second loop on the block.  It takes the standing part of the tackle fall.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

14 hours ago, jmegnin@ymail.com said:

Also, I have had the honor of visiting both the Constitution and her

sister ship the Constellation located in Baltimore. Great ship and history.

I hate to say this, but they're not "sister ships"... The Constitution was launched in 1797.   The Constellation in Baltimore was launched in 1854.   There was the frigate Constellation but it was broken up around 1852 or so.  Four timbers from the first were used in constructing the sloop of war Constellation.  Note that the Constellation in Baltimore was being passed off as the frigate for many years before some research was done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ah.. I was on it way back then also (around '75 or so) which is why I decided to build her.   They had everyone convinced it was the frigate.   I didn't find out that it wasn't until I started building the AL kit.   I very quickly started modifying her to be the 1854 version.  May not be a frigate but she's still a beautiful ship.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 3/3/2020 at 12:13 AM, popeye2sea said:

OK, so first let me say that I think the rigging plan for these topgallant and the royal halyards is incorrect.  There are tackles in this position on the actual ship however they are for the lower yard truss tackles.

I actually do not remember how the halyards run on the ship.  I will take a look and report back.

That being said, if you are going to stay with the plan I would temporarily position a line that runs from the sheave hole on the mast to the belaying pin on the pin rail where it will belay.  Mark the position where it crosses the top.  That is where I would put the "B" block so that the tackle ends up in line with the lead of the halyard.  You may have to drill a hole in the top so that you can fasten the block.  You will end up with the topgallant halyard coming down to one side of the mast and the royal halyard coming down on the other.  You should lead the fore halyards opposite to the main halyards.  In other words if the fore topgallant leads to starboard then the main topgallant will lead to port. 

BTW, the "B" block is a single block with a becket.  The becket is that second loop on the block.  It takes the standing part of the tackle fall.

Regards,

To popeye2sea jmegnin here got your message and I’m staying the course I have already followed your instructions and have drilled those holes in the mast top.

So with that being said I will continue to march with it and I will let you know how it turned out with this part of the instructions. Many thanks for the information and instructions.

jmegnin,

If after you quote, go to the editing area at the bottom of the page.  Then scroll down in that window and you type your response so it appears as one post and not two.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: