cannon saddle - moved to proper forum by moderator

Saddle?  Are you asking about the carriage? Or the mount for a swivel gun?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, he may be talking about the trunnion caps?

Chuck, some extra detail or explanation would greatly assist others to help you - a picture or the part, or picture of the drawing of the part would clarify for us?

If you are talking about the caps, I use an old pair of pliers that have no grip in the jaws (flat).  I filed a shallow groove of the corresponding diameter as a piece of hardened brass/steel rod the same diameter as the trunnions, and silver soldered that into the groove.  You also need to file a groove over that into which the rod + strip will sit once the jaws are closed - sort of like forging.

I put the strip of brass of the required width and thickness into the jaws so that it sits square over the rod, squeeze down and it forms the 'saddle'.  I then  drill holes on either side for the simulated bolt heads (I use small brass pins), then cut the formed length off the strip, and trim to size on either side - Hey Presto. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)