Heckblocks

I suspect heckblocks is a misspelling and isn't it Tanganyika not Tanganjika? Who is the kit manufacture? 

I'm pretty sure 'stern blocks' is a literal translation. Can't quite see how that fits the illustration from the instructions, but at least it is a starting point. 

Just had a thought: in the earlier steps, did the instructions tell you to carve/shape pieces to support the transom? Possibly these are the 'stern blocks' and you are being told to plank over them?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

On 6/9/2020 at 11:30 PM, bruce d said:

I'm pretty sure 'stern blocks' is a literal translation. Can't quite see how that fits the illustration from the instructions, but at least it is a starting point. 

Just had a thought: in the earlier steps, did the instructions tell you to carve/shape pieces to support the transom? Possibly these are the 'stern blocks' and you are being told to plank over them?

Hi Bruce.

Yes. I have already made those but as you see they are on the otherside of the transome. I dont mind telling you that the instructions for this kit are not very good.

Davy.

Transome supports.jpg

Transome supports location.jpg

According to my copy of Schiffahrts-Worterbuch 'heck' is stern and the closest entry to your puzzle is 'heck balken' = 'horn timber'.

BTW, 'block' = 'block'

?

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Then I remembered another resource -

German-English Dictionary of Technical, Scientific and General Terms - A.Webel, first published 1930, and bingo: 

Heckbalken = transom

Block = pulley block

So it seems to be a near-miss in the translations but it doesn't look like a critical instruction.

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

22 hours ago, bruce d said:

Then I remembered another resource -

German-English Dictionary of Technical, Scientific and General Terms - A.Webel, first published 1930, and bingo: 

Heckbalken = transom

Block = pulley block

So it seems to be a near-miss in the translations but it doesn't look like a critical instruction.

Thankyou Bruce.

So what your saying is the Heckblocks is a Transom Pully block. So basically i'm supposed to plank the Transome pulley block. I just love puzzles lol. I also Google translated the word heckblocks

and in German it means Stern blocks.

Anyway i think i have the solution to this puzzle after looking at Zappto's build log. If you notice on the 1st picture my transom gun ports go all the way to the bottom of the transom.

But if you look at Zappto's transome finished they do not which makes me think there must be a block under the short planking at the bottom of the gun ports. I wonder could these be the heckblocks

heckblocks.jpg

Heckblocks 2.jpg

German-English translation is also "tail blocks." Not much help.

But your drawing Figure 10 shows gun port cill or rebate and a 1 x 3 mm strip could be used for these. The rebate is what the port lid/door closed against, and ports often had this framing on all sides for better water seals. It is similar to the molding in a door frame that the door shuts against.

The guns were run out against the lower cill before firing. Sometimes there was an additional block or bumper that the gun carriage contacted to set the firing position (battery).

Translations are always going to have glitches. In the '70s a very expensive piece of electronics arrived from afar wrapped in plastic. The plastic had printed warnings in different languages and the English said:

Do not store children in this bag.

It's all p[art of the fun.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Bruce,

Sounds like very good advice to me.

Davy,

Think of it this way - overcoming difficulties builds character. At least that's what they tell the Marines.