Nirvana

I stumbled over this manufacturer located in the US, in Tennesse to be exact.

The name is Iron Shipwrights and they seem to make very nice resin kits, most of them are coming with PE parts (no need to buy other sets).

Just wondering if anyone has experience with their products?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Yes I have built a few of theirs with more to go.  They were vendors at the 2003 NRG Conference and they sold a lot of kits there. 

The Edmund Fitzgerald in 1/700 was not their best but a lot have been built.  There was a problem with warpage of the hull but they replaced it w/o question.

I have their USS Panay PG45 - one of the best resin kits I have ever seen - I sure hope I get it built someday.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thank you Kurt,

I found some interesting kits on their website...… but I guess I better finish what I have in my "shipyard" waiting for attention, before dropping the anchor (instead of pulling the trigger) for one of their kits.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I just recently ordered one of their small torpedo boats and their PC-461 subchaser. I haven't built either yet, but they came quickly and the quality of the moldings seems good with lots of detail molded on, though there is a little flash. I've never done resin before, and these looked like good places to start. At about $25 for each kit, though they are small, they seem like a good deal, since they do come with the photoetch you need. Let me know if you'd like pictures of the unbuilt kits.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

I have the predecessor to one of their kits, the USS Houston. Like a number of their other kits it was originally manufactured by Blue Water Navy and taken over when BWN went out of business. Mine is the BWN vintage. I have not built it but have purchased additional items much as one would for any plastic model. What is included in the kit seems to fit nicely when test fitting. I think it will make as good of a model as the Trumpeter USS Indianapolis, and with the PE and 3D stuff I bought even better. All of course depending on the skill of the builder, (me).  

In some cases their selection is the only game in town if like me, you are really interested in certain ships outside of the constant reissue remake stuff.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 6 months later...

I have purchased several of their kits. Interesting subjects but poor to not existent quality control. The resin detail parts are mostly useless and there are

much filling to do on the hull. They replace defective parts. The PE is very good. Long hulls are usually "banana boats" because of their shape.

If you are interested in good quality resin kits Kombrig are available in 1/700 and 1/350, sadly the new rep in the US does not seems interested in maintaining their stock. If you can get one of the YS ships they are exquisite but sadly not in production anymore.