I have read a number of articles and books about planking the hull and that's probably what is causing me to be confused.

When planking the hull, is the first plank installed with the top of the plank aligned with the top of the Main deck? OR is the first plank

installed the Wale. And just what does the top of the wale align with...top of main deck or where?

And don't ask Google or Bing. Neither of them can give a simple answer to a simple question.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Hi,

Unfortunately the answer is not straight forward, as I assume you have realised. 

I will take it you are talking about the second layer of planking as it does not really matter with the first layer and you could just follow the kit instructions.

However, I tend to lay the first plank for even this first layer at the position of the wale. The reason I do this really answers your second question regarding the Wale's position. Basically the wale position needs to be taken from the plans and its position will be different depending on the ship in question. I find this easier to mark on the keel section and then transfer out to the edge of the bulkheads to give an accurate position.

Once you have this marked you have a datum for all your other planking and gun ports etc.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Okay. So as I now understand it better...check the plans for the location of the Wale and after installing the Wale then start the measuring, tick marks etc for the planking. That seems to make more sense. This is a new method of planking for me. With all other ships, I just planked from the deck down to the keel and didn't worry about trimming the planks etc. Thanks for bringing my rudder back to amid ship!

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift