HM Schooner Ballahoo by Jonny 007 - Caldercraft - scale 1:64 - Second ship build

Hello, and welcome to my second model ship build.

As I wait on the arrival of some additional parts to finish my Jolly Boat, I though I would get a head start on my next project.

As normal, There will be a bit of a preamble before the actual build log, so feel free to skip ahead to the next post.

I thought long and hard about my next boat build and decided on HM Schooner for a number of reasons. Some of which are:

a) It seemed like a good next build as it isn’t too complicated.

b) Double plank on bulkhead construction (Jolly Boat is single PoB)

c) As a smaller kit I should be able to finish it in a reasonable time frame (kit instructions say 1 month of evening work)

d) Has a deck to plank and deck features to build including Cannonades

e) Has slightly more complicated rigging but not too much of a step up

f) Some other good build logs for inspiration 

g) Cheap (came in the same as my Jolly Boat)

h) I like Caldercraft kits and have two more to build after this

Having other quality build logs to follow really helped a lot with my first build. There are several for the Ballahoo that I have been looking at. I will using these as a reference and source of inspiration. 

I also learnt a valuable lesson building my Jolly Boat. I like smaller boats. I like the quicker build times and I like having room for them. I can built them in my office inside. Bigger boats may mean a move to one of our garages (which is another story...)

I also like the look of a bit of paint. Paint hid a lot of my mistakes in my first build!

Don’t get me wrong, I still hope to build Caldercraft’s Diana kit some day and maybe even the victory. But I am fully aware that my skills are a long way away from those dreams. Or the 8000 hours it can take to build one!!!

So, here we are. Build number two...

I won’t spend a lot of time talking about what’s in the box. Mainly because I’m not really that sure what I am supposed to report on.

The timber strips all look good, not a lot of ‘fur’

The CNC pieces look okay too.

Now for some pictures.

BCEDB012-0019-4928-AF0F-4543445A3312.thumb.jpeg.dbb0d2ee27329abe1832d5041b8bdc79.jpeg

Stuff in the box

1A758867-A9BF-4B87-AADF-4D632F45D5B5.thumb.jpeg.fca8122b5e19ff1567bf403e557b7a3f.jpeg

There are several sets of plans and a small instruction booklet to explain the different build sections.

There are 3 pages to explain the build.

The plans are excellent and provide a lot of detail.

Glad I have a vague idea what I’m doing...

First up is to get familiar with all the plans and locate all the various pieces. Seems simple enough.

The next thing I did was vacuum all the sawdust out of the frame and bulkhead sheet. I saw this on another build log and it seem a great way to reduce the amount of sawdust I was going to get.

I then went and labelled the bulk heads as per the instructions.

1CA7C342-64BF-4FDB-84D5-97E12AA7CC58.jpeg.3f7337930397447878b931506e2210c9.jpeg

Now it’s time to remove them all and test fit.

The first two frames are a little loose. This will require some Lego when glueing.

The rest are snug which is great.

I now need to mark the boarding line and carve the rabbet. It’s has also been mention that feathering the bulkheads prior to glueing can ease the process so I will try that.

I will also be adding mast supports with some scrap wood.

2BAB2186-1D5D-4043-8EEA-EF1460DE8653.jpeg.b0eabd21759f5ea927583e0610bd5c73.jpeg

Today I marked the bottom of each frame to give me some idea of where the rabbet was likely to be.

I followed @egkb‘s log and have decide to only complete the rabbet at the completion of the first planking.

But I did reduce the amount of material at the stern.

3693BEBF-4579-44AE-8209-6E635A837663.thumb.jpeg.dd4d879184af124c3dfb5452c1ae8956.jpeg

I then partial faired frames 1-3 and 8-9 using my improvised sanding station in the laundry. My little red Mazda did not like getting covered in dust. I will need to attend to her tomorrow...

F5204B8B-7996-4C54-A7A2-2D3549775701.thumb.jpeg.b24704c0da3b86e3fd86bf8ec0f9549d.jpeg

Lookin'  Snazzy There Jonny ..  I had a lot of great help here on MSW when I was beginning my Ballier .. If I can be of any help please give me a shout (mind you, at 6 or 7 years into a 'few week build' I may well have forgotten everything I learned on setting up the hull :) )  

The biggest thing I did learn was the Bearding Line .. If you think on how thick the False Keel will be when there are 2 layers of planking on it (each side)  compared to the Rudder Post (which will lie up against it) the 'run' into it should be pretty much flush with no step .. if you follow .. I think it was Nigel who said to take (taper) the false keel down to only a few mm where it will meet up with the Rudder Post.. Lately I have seen a builder on MSW stop the first planking well short of the Rudder Post which allowed them to bring the 2nd planking up to it with minimal sanding .. a very interesting approach!   The supplied planks are only 1mm thick, yet it amazed me how much sanding they could take, at no point was I in danger of sanding through .. and I did a LOT of sanding :) 

Now that I have confused you properly, I'll just pull up the proverbial seat and Follow This Ballier along :) 

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hmm Needs More Clamps .. :)   

Wow .. That's some serious Clamping going on there ... Is there a boat underneath all that :) 

Lifetime Subscription to 'Pegs Pins & Clamps' magazine on the way to you ... 

Eamonn

Pegs Pins & Clamps.jpg

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 4 weeks later...

So, I’m back working working on this. First up, glue in the transom piece. I built this seperate to help align the parts easer and then went for the clamps.

B7429838-8793-44C6-8BB4-EFEE5381C817.jpeg.d19dfa44d2991cb3fdb31eaa1549c875.jpeg

Also, the ships cat stopped by to find out why the bottom of her cookie bowl was visible.

C0F91B74-E591-48AF-AAA0-EBA95E393347.jpeg.f4ef0b24ae0c4ce57f6c63d4d448a484.jpeg

I have also identified a couple of issues which I would like some advice on. But that’s tomorrow’s job.

Great to see you moving again Jonny ..  Shoot away with the questions, if I can help in any way I surely will and if I cant, then there is bound to be a more knowledgeable person here on MSW :) 

BTW The Bounty's Jolly boat in the background looks a treat ! Oh and cute cat too :) 

All The Best

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn! BTW your build log is so helpful. I keep checking it for ideas.

Recent progress:

Balsa filler blocks fore and aft.

A touch of black paint under where the gratings will be.

Faring of the bulkheads.

Shaping the gunport part.

*mild earth quake will typing this. Just a wee 5.2...*

Hopefully tomorrow I can start the planning of the first planking. But I have learnt from past failures that faring the hull is vital and I have seen it said before. Fare and fare again!

And now for a vague picture featuring my messy work station and heaps of clamps.

AD1FB94B-C2EE-4082-B8AE-8C9DF7BB3D42.jpeg.d75f72ef31da5b80bd0dc22da5e3eac6.jpeg

Hey There Jonny ..  Serious Clamping Style Going On Here :) :)  Love It!

You are spot on with the faring .. once you get that right the planks just sit better.. ( If you think of the part of the Bulkhead that has to be faired versus the part of the same bulkhead that has to be 'un'-faired, in the forward bulkheads the back part of each bulkhead is un-touched and the fairing is in the front parts only and vice versa for the aft set of bulkheads.. if that makes sense .. constantly checking the run with a strip of planking wood)

'Mild 5.2'  :)  Jeez we nearly have a heart attack if a big truck goes past the door :) :)  

All The Best Mate

Eamonn

Started planking. I thought I had spent enough time faring the hull but I think I might have gone wrong somewhere.

I really wanted to get all of the planks to sit flat on the bulkheads. This had been a major issue in earlier previous attempts. But for the life of me I couldn’t get the first the first plank to follow the bottom of the gun port template.

No matter what I tried it would clinker near the bow quite badly.

The first layer of planking will be hidden by the second planking and I do intend to paint her.

But I still wanted the first planking to be as good as I could get it. I also hoped that I could use it as practise for the second planking.

I measured out plank widths down bulkhead number 5 and ran the 5th plank fore and aft and it sat well gains the faring of the hull. 

As you can see from my planking so far I have already had to add drop planks or stealers. The idea is not the reduce any plank to under half its width.

Its a bit gappy but this is down to me relying on maths and not individually fitting and faring each plank. I will change that moving forward. Gaps can be filled.

Ill go back and re look and the planking guides I have.

I will also think about Chuck’s (?) method for the second layer if I still have issues.

It might not look like it but the planks are sitting pretty true against the bulkheads.

CA8ED240-CB6B-467D-A8B8-9D368268B753.thumb.jpeg.bd384989314243bef4326ff24c00887d.jpeg

Before I get to far ahead of myself, I remember everyone putting in ‘mast supports’ so figured I would do the same.

D821CDC8-85DD-457C-A9A1-A6BB407BA53B.thumb.jpeg.9cf5efff31ba11e8c7968c8344f8b835.jpeg

I also wanted to make some things that go bang. So assembled the cannonades. I know from other build logs that they are massively out of scale. But will be fine for this build.

I also thought I had done and okay job of removing the flash from the castings, but this photo clearly shows that I have some work to do.

I also need to drill out the barrels as these are poorly cast. But I will need to make a jig to do this.

But for now, here are some things that go bang.

5A2EADF3-7185-45BD-B48D-4EA1DD502D56.thumb.jpeg.b94f5b7e0bda539d9ac4df6eb95844ea.jpeg

Hi Jonny .. I just took a quick looksie at my own log re the first few strips of planking and they seem to fit ok .. Could you take a photo from 'front on' before you go too much further, to check if the Bulwark Pattern is causing any issues.. there isn't anything that cant be 'de-constructed' :)  And it could make life easier in the long run.

If memory serves I had to push them firmly into place (re the Clinkering effect I mean) and there is more 'sanding room' than 1mm would suggest ..

Nice work on the Guns BTW 

All The Best

Eamonn

• 4 weeks later...

I have been slowly working away on this still. I have a new found love for the pin pusher!

It has also become apparent that I did not fare the bulk heads correctly as I am having some issues with bulk head two. Nothing a little filler won’t fix...

97401E91-8B01-4788-B686-8AF07DCF808E.jpeg.732ba3ab82636a0c60ab6bb1bd862cb6.jpeg

Sanding and filler are our friends for the first planking. You can hide almost anything with plenty of sanding and filler. 

As Eamonn said 1mm planking can take a good run down. And the carronades look good 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I am of the Creed (everything is permitted)

I just thought it would do for my ID on here. Eagerly awaiting the next installment of A.C

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 2 months later...

So I had a wee break from boat building because the snow here has been awesome. But with the season nearing an end I did some more boat stuff.

Firstly, I made some deck fixtures which turned out well. Still need to drill the barrels of the cannonades out but meh.

20200921_143709.thumb.jpg.19b2ec7d5e35057959fdc1eadb536972.jpg

I have also mostly finished the first planking. It ain't pretty but it's nothing some filler and the second layer wont hide.

20200921_143627.thumb.jpg.ef2a6fbd006fc4859dbefa05e3026bcf.jpg

And the area of most concern is the stern. I have bent planks to places they didn't want to go which has given me a bit of clinkering (if that is a word) so this will need some attention.

20200921_143640.thumb.jpg.8e19ef623bd549c43e0ccf07d08125e1.jpg

So that's it for now. But an update is still an update!

Great to see you back Jonny ... Keep those Updates coming :)   Oh and don't mind that 'clinkering' it should sand out nicely and give a decent surface for the 'proper' planking layer..

All The Best

Eamonn

Bit more work on this today and had to do a quick mock up of what she might look like.

20200926_144648.thumb.jpg.0f5b4727fe9fee8ded1d2403446f9d63.jpg It's weird but my camera makes it look like the masts aren't parallel but they most surely are.

But it is looking more like a boat. I have also given the hull a first rough sand to se how much filler I might need but it has actually come up quite good.

Pictures of that to come...

20200926_163341.thumb.jpg.8b0eedec67cb3a11f0ee9329538bcce6.jpg