Admiralty or Humbrol equal to Model Shipways

I would need little help.

As the shipping from US is quite expensive for small order then can you suggest me Admiralty or Humbrol paints similar to Model Shipways.

here is list of paints that i would need equal ones to:

Bulwarks Dark Green – MS 4801
Bulwarks/Gun Carriage Red – MS 4802 True Blue – MS 4964
Hull Yellow Ochre – MS 4829
Black – MS 4830
White – MS 4831
English Oak (stain) – MS 4975
Pale Yellow Trim – MS 4804
Primer - MS4839
DeepBrown–MS4818

Yes its Essex paint scheme.

I am not familiar with Admiralty paints and I'm not aware of any color conversion charts for Model Shipways paints, which I expect are manufactured by one of the other paint companies and simply packaged under the Model Shipways name. There is one color conversion chart for the now-discontinued (but really great... sigh...) Floquil paints and it provides Humbrol equivalents. It may give you a good start. The colors should be close enough. Keep in mind that nothing comes out the same color on a computer screen.

https://www.microscale.com/Floquil Color Chart.pdf

On 7/27/2020 at 4:21 AM, Wahka_est said:

I would need little help.

As the shipping from US is quite expensive for small order then can you suggest me Admiralty or Humbrol paints similar to Model Shipways.

here is list of paints that i would need equal ones to:

Bulwarks Dark Green – MS 4801
Bulwarks/Gun Carriage Red – MS 4802 True Blue – MS 4964
Hull Yellow Ochre – MS 4829
Black – MS 4830
White – MS 4831
English Oak (stain) – MS 4975
Pale Yellow Trim – MS 4804
Primer - MS4839
DeepBrown–MS4818

Yes its Essex paint scheme.

Agree with you buddy that shipping cost is quiet high in US when you use more branded service provider who build its brand name like - FedEx , UPS etc. But there is still scope To ship in US at reasonable pricing. I am a seller and when i need to do shipping then i generally find good pricing over Citizenshipper Shipping and also USPS is cheaper but they are slow.  I also heared some more cheap shipping companies like parcelmonkey, goshippo Etc. but don't know much.

And i thing you can easily get cheap pricing for your work.

Best of luck buddy.

Cheers

Wahka,

Perhaps it would serve your need and pocketbook to drop back to first cases. 

Your ship is from the era of mineral paints.  The color range was limited and in a broke, always looking for the least expensive everything, country,  only those minerals that were common and low cost would have been used.

MS would have selected a best guess range of colors.   There is little probability that there is an official USN color pallet from the time.

I would think that doing research on paint colors and history would give you a realistic pallet to choose from.

The quality of European mfg model paint is likely to be, at the least, the equal to the supplier used my MM.  So, you are likely to get better for much less using EU made paint.  Just make realistic, and informed choices.  You will after all, only be replicating what MM will have to have done.

If I remember correctly from my science classes,  the vibrant, bright, rainbow colors are a creation of late 19th century German organic chemistry.  The chemical and drug industries developed from there.  It has given us a brighter, less expensive, wider range of products, more toxic, more cancer filled World.

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

HMS Ajax 1767 - 74-gun 3rd rate - 1:192 POF exploration - works but too intense -no margin for error

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - POF Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - POF Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner - POF framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner - POF timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835 packet hull USN ship - POF timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - POF framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I’ve posted this numerous times but it’s the best information that I know of so I’ll repeat it.  Eric Ronnberg is an expert on Nineteenth Century New England fishing and whaling vessels.  In Volume 36, Page 202 of the Nautical Research Journal he published an article titled:

Paint and Colors for American Merchant Vessels 1800-1920- Their Study and Interpretation for Model Making

This article is reproduced in Volume II of the NRG’s Shop Notes and a copy of the article should be available electronically  from the NRG office (PM Kurt VanDham via this forum). The article discusses availability and relative cost of different paint pigments, and use of certain colors.  It also includes a chart of color samples.  

I would suggest that that you get a copy of the article, select colors that make sense, and then see if you can find them on the European Market.  Note that is likely that paints for your ship were mixed on site and colors from different batches could not be expected to match.  There is, therefore, no need for you to be too concerned about trying to match colors exactly.

Roger