Glory of the Seas medium clipper 1869 - FINISHED - by rwiederrich - 1/96

3 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

My assumption that the main deck Waterway was also 16" and not the 12".  Your work up makes far more sense and that would also agree with my own assessment of your measurement of 6' 2 & 1/2".  My early measurements make sense here too.  By using orienteering measurements and styles it is easily calculated.

I agree with your value.

Rob

Rob, whew. That's a relief. It will probably satisfy Mike too since he was referring to MacLean's reference of Glory's bulwarks being "about" 6'. I think 6' 2 & 1/2" meets that criterion nicely. 

On 5/24/2021 at 3:47 PM, rwiederrich said:

My assumption that the main deck Waterway was also 16" and not the 12".  Your work up makes far more sense and that would also agree with my own assessment of your measurement of 6' 2 & 1/2".  My early measurements make sense here too.  By using orienteering measurements and styles it is easily calculated.

I agree with your value.

Rob

Rob, furthering our evaluations, a 60" internal mainrail bulkhead would actually be 4' 8 & 1/2", topped by 18" monkeyrail results in 6' 2 & 1/2" with an external bulkhead dimension of 4' topped by the 18" external monkeyrail.

1 hour ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, furthering our evaluations, a 60" internal mainrail bulkhead would actually be 4' 8 & 1/2", topped by 18" monkeyrail results in 6' 2 & 1/2" with an external bulkhead dimension of 4' topped by the 18" external monkeyrail.

Yeah,  I can’t wait to start building her. 

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

2 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob,

The day our package arrives, I will send yours out by 2 day usps tracked mail.

Oh boy.  I’m blessed.   Thanks so very much.

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

9 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Oh boy.  I’m blessed.   Thanks so very much.

Rob, you're welcome, of course. I'm hoping they arrive before June 10th. That's the day I go back into Yale New Haven Hospital to have my bladder removed and rebuilt. I will leave instructions to my wife to take care of the mail if I can't. I too look forward to your remarkable progress on McKay's lovely last Clipper "Glory of the Seas."

On 5/27/2021 at 8:57 AM, ClipperFan said:

Rob, you're welcome, of course. I'm hoping they arrive before June 10th. That's the day I go back into Yale New Haven Hospital to have my bladder removed and rebuilt. I will leave instructions to my wife to take care of the mail if I can't. I too look forward to your remarkable progress on McKay's lovely last Clipper "Glory of the Seas."

Rob, I sent you and Vlad an email. Our bulkheads arrived in the mail yesterday; too late to be resent. Your kit went out in today's mail and you you should get it Tuesday, June 1st.

7 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, I sent you and Vlad an email. Our bulkheads arrived in the mail yesterday; too late to be resent. Your kit went out in today's mail and you you should get it Tuesday, June 1st.

Rich wow . arrived? great ! that was quick for todays standard ! . Im glad it came. ! cant wait to reach Rob and see him building. V.

5 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Rich wow . arrived? great ! that was quick for todays standard ! . Im glad it came. ! cant wait to reach Rob and see him building. V.

Vlad,

If 2 day mail can be believed, Rob should get his package by next Tuesday. I too am very excited to see his warp speed progress once he gets started. 

Vlad,

If 2 day mail can be believed, Rob should get his package by next Tuesday. I too am very excited to see his warp speed progress once he gets started. 

Vlad, As I told Rob, June 1st is a good omen as it happens to be Peg and my 36th Wedding Anniversary too!

16 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Wait .......    Vlad did you receive your signed book yet?   I can’t believe it takes longer then the bulkheads.    So excited

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

6 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Wait .......    Vlad did you receive your signed book yet?   I can’t believe it takes longer then the bulkheads.    So excited

:) Hasnt yet but stay calm Rob :)), . it depends on many factors as frequencies of flights and we are country like quarter of texas :D it might have arrived  just there is overload at custom entry due pandemic ets ...i sent it within trqcking number so it surely sped it up ....

9 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

:) Hasnt yet but stay calm Rob :)), . it depends on many factors as frequencies of flights and we are country like quarter of texas :D it might have arrived  just there is overload at custom entry due pandemic ets ...i sent it within trqcking number so it surely sped it up ....

Rob, your 2 day US mail also has a tracking # with insurance which I emailed to you. There should be no worries about it arriving on time. Vlad, I know you also plan to do your own Glory. I look forward to viewing your progress too.

4 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, your 2 day US mail also has a tracking # with insurance which I emailed to you. There should be no worries about it arriving on time. Vlad, I know you also plan to do your own Glory. I look forward to viewing your progress too.

Rich, it looks i will really start in september. Time is scarce commodity these days and time is money as well. I will have no time till than. But I will enjoyably watch Robs progress. Speaking off I had little time to play with her. Rob. please run some strip thru planksheer in abaft to adjust smooth line of the planksheer. 2 or three bulkheads need to be raised i think. look at photo pls.. looks like 3 bulkheads need to be adjusted slightly . dont glue those before adjusting. rest should play handsomely.

and slight offtopic, i did little 7 inch tmberframing, and with the fine smell of beautiful pine and oak, one can close eyes and be easily transformed right to the boston shipyard of bygone era, chiseling out those timbers. been quite a whole different experience than miniature modelmaking. more closer to actual ship building though....by the way i got book building of american clipper ship..so I can educate myself more. cant put it down...:)

all good

V.  

20210505_155212.thumb.jpg.1eca08853008e7d9c3fcefadd40a16e8.jpg20210505_172932.thumb.jpg.e85dfb291df2fac1a9806efa684522c7.jpg20210505_160911.thumb.jpg.c00c728b3831502d144757d4cd9ce433.jpg

th line of the planksheer. 2 or three bulkheads need to be raised i think. look at photo pls.. looks like 3 bulkheads need to be adjusted slightly . dont glue those before adjusting. rest should play handsomely.

and slight offtopic, i did little 7 inch tmberframing, and with the fine smell of beautiful p

20210505_172033.jpg

20210512_105831.jpg

th line of the planksheer. 2 or three bulkheads need to be raised i think. look at photo pls.. looks like 3 bulkheads need to be adjusted slightly . dont glue those before adjusting. rest should play handsomely.

and slight offtopic, i did little 7 inch tmberframing, and with the fine smell of beautiful p

20210512_142159.jpg

20210517_161131.jpg

20210530_173546.jpg

20210530_174016.jpg

20210530_174101.jpg

20210530_173537.jpg

20210530_174142.jpg

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

9 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Rich, it looks i will really start in september. Time is scarce commodity these days and time is money as well. I will have no time till than. But I will enjoyably watch Robs progress. Speaking off I had little time to play with her. Rob. please run some strip thru planksheer in abaft to adjust smooth line of the planksheer. 2 or three bulkheads need to be raised i think. look at photo pls.. looks like 3 bulkheads need to be adjusted slightly . dont glue those before adjusting. rest should play handsomely.

and slight offtopic, i did little 7 inch tmberframing, and with the fine smell of beautiful pine and oak, one can close eyes and be easily transformed right to the boston shipyard of bygone era, chiseling out those timbers. been quite a whole different experience than miniature modelmaking. more closer to actual ship building though....by the way i got book building of american clipper ship..so I can educate myself more. cant put it down...:)

all good

V.  

20210505_155212.thumb.jpg.1eca08853008e7d9c3fcefadd40a16e8.jpg20210505_172932.thumb.jpg.e85dfb291df2fac1a9806efa684522c7.jpg20210505_160911.thumb.jpg.c00c728b3831502d144757d4cd9ce433.jpg

20210505_172033.jpg

20210512_105831.jpg

20210512_142159.jpg

20210517_161131.jpg

20210530_173546.jpg

20210530_174016.jpg

20210530_174101.jpg

20210530_173537.jpg

20210530_174142.jpg

Fine wood working indeed.  Nice open building.      I plan on checking everything closely when I assemble and build the hull.  I’ll keep everyone informed when I begin

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

On 5/30/2021 at 3:23 PM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

all good

V.  

20210505_172033.jpg

20210512_105831.jpg

20210512_142159.jpg

20210517_161131.jpg

20210530_173546.jpg

20210530_174016.jpg

20210530_174101.jpg

20210530_173537.jpg

20210530_174142.jpg

Vladimir, thanks for the "heads up" on slightly low bulkheads 15, 16 & 17. It looks like there's a pen mark at the base of 14 too but it's almost even with the base of the keel. 

As for your "little" project. Wow! Not being a woodworker myself. I haven't carved a thing since making neckerchief slides in Boy Scouts as a teen. I love all the careful interlocking pieces. I believe it's referred to as "mortise and tenon." There also appear to be round wooden pegs in use too. I'm also impressed with the care to be sure these lovely wooden studs are all elevated to prevent moisture laden wood rot. All in all a very impressive shelter. Just one question. What will it eventually be for?

7 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

This will have speacial place in my book library, as book has in my heart-  now even more.

Thanks a milion Rob. :)

20210601_113932.jpg

Yeah....it arrived...I'm so glad for you.  I'm also glad that it too will find a special place in your heart and library.  Michael is a generous man and I have been blessed by his generosity myself........   He started it all.

I received the bulkheads on Monday...but because of the holiday and lots of company...I haven't opened it up yet.......However, that will change tonight when I get home from work.   

Thanks again so very much.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

In his most recent email, Mike included this neat diagram by genuine, now retired shipwright Ron Haug from "Down Under." I love his jocular commentary about how further revelations of Glory's sleeker Bow has been giving him migraines!

To make it easier to view, I've enlarged that section of the paper.

20210601_080840.jpg

20210601_080955.jpg

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

Yeah....it arrived...I'm so glad for you.  I'm also glad that it too will find a special place in your heart and library.  Michael is a generous man and I have been blessed by his generosity myself........   He started it all.

I received the bulkheads on Monday...but because of the holiday and pots of company...I haven't opened it up yet.......However, that will change tonight when I get home from work.   

Thanks again so very much.

Rob

im so curious Rob. :) you will notice there is slight overhand in centerline from center of the boat towards bow t obe sanded off as bulkheads goes littel deeper but that is nothing. i already did on mine. this appeared as reault of older drawing with even more elevated sheerline and i was a bit lazy to rework it all again. apart of this, Im nurturing hopes :) Vlad 

In his most recent email, Mike included this neat diagram by genuine, now retired shipwright Ron Haug from "Down Under." I love his jocular commentary about how further revelations of Glory's sleeker Bow has been giving him migraines!

To make it easier to view, I've enlarged that section of the paper.

20210601_080840.jpg

20210601_080955.jpg

wow this is helpful Rich. thanks so so much indeed. ! youre folks  on the spot and hand with whats needed the most :) you certainly dont want estimated "rubbish" to walk out of your hands. 

Vladimir, thanks for the "heads up" on slightly low bulkheads 15, 16 & 17. It looks like there's a pen mark at the base of 14 too but it's almost even with the base of the keel. 

As for your "little" project. Wow! Not being a woodworker myself. I haven't carved a thing since making neckerchief slides in Boy Scouts as a teen. I love all the careful interlocking pieces. I believe it's referred to as "mortise and tenon." There also appear to be round wooden pegs in use too. I'm also impressed with the care to be sure these lovely wooden studs are all elevated to prevent moisture laden wood rot. All in all a very impressive shelter. Just one question. What will it eventually be for?

Thanks for nice words Rich.Well its garden shed or gazebo or whatever they call it. winter is quite cold here so we like to gather and spend all summer outside, around table...working in garden etc....just to provptect from strong sun and rain....

speaking of it, im very much into timberframing, traditional way of mortise tenon and pegs...probably very known and common in usa, and my grand grand dad was a carpenter himself built oak roof structure in own hands etc. unfortunately in europe wood went to asthray and classical beauty of timberframing and wooden houses as well... it is bricks only culture and if wood with screws and nails. people forgot these wooden fastenings without nails...

i did it all myself from drying pine logs etc... this shed has 6 meters in longitude so with few more and land  i could easily build an insulated house of timber frames..im into this stuff a l lot. barn doors etc.... 

3 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

im so curious Rob. :) you will notice there is slight overhand in centerline from center of the boat towards bow t obe sanded off as bulkheads goes littel deeper but that is nothing. i already did on mine. this appeared as reault of older drawing with even more elevated sheerline and i was a bit lazy to rework it all again. apart of this, Im nurturing hopes :) Vlad 

I'm trying to figure out what offset for the bow bulkheads you are referencing?  I understand the slight error for the aft 3 bulkheads.....needing the planksheer to correct the sheer...but what exactly is the bow error in the bulkheads?  Is it the thickness of the bulkhead or the width of the frame size for the bulkhead?

I'll probably notice it when i get home and open it up and begin to dry fit it all...but still?

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

19 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

I'm trying to figure out what offset for the bow bulkheads you are referencing?  I understand the slight error for the aft 3 bulkheads.....needing the planksheer to correct the sheer...but what exactly is the bow error in the bulkheads?  Is it the thickness of the bulkhead or the width of the frame size for the bulkhead?

I'll probably notice it when i get home and open it up and begin to dry fit it all...but still?

Rob

Rob I see i scared you but there is no need to...its pretty simple when you assemble bulkheafs and push down to the limit so they touch, from the half boat towards bow rise there will be centerline slightly exceeding out  from the deck floor... about 1 or 2 milimeters. i just sanded it off. bulkheads should sit fine. pelase note that it doesnt changes any measure or value for bulkheads etc. it just simple old centerline upper curve ididnt rework - all new measures went to sheerline so corelation between  touching point  of bulkheads and centerline holes.... just follow bulkheads deck curvature on top thats it. i hope it makes perfect sense when you assemble kit. i can take a pic as well. 

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

here you can see highlighted in green. centerline is sanded ( whitish) as it protruded above deck curvature just a little for about first 7 bulkheads. it was old raised sheerline i did correct  on holes for bulkheads - but not in centerline heights itself.  ...as bulkheads corrected it. V. 

E7CC354C-645C-4C81-A1BF-C9AE3DB142C5.png

I see...thanks for the explanation.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Rob & Vladimir,

Here's another special treat from Gina Bardi, Reference Librarian, San Francisco Maritime Museum courtesy of Michael Mjelde who was kind enough to forward my contact information to her. 

(1) my personal favorite is the entire framed oil painting by Samuel Walters

(2) a smaller watercolor by Alcott

(3) a well known painting by Warren Shepherd.

20210602_063223.jpg

s24058a-jpg636111064878885726 (1).jpg

S3990.jpeg

Edited by ClipperFan
Correcting last name to Samuel WALTERS

Rob & Vladimir,

Here's another special treat from Gina Bardi, Reference Librarian, San Francisco Maritime Museum courtesy of Michael Mjelde who was kind enough to forward my contact information to her. 

(1) my personal favorite is the entire framed oil painting by Samuel Warren

20210602_063223.jpg

S3990.jpeg

Thanks for the posts.  My favorite is Samuel Warren too.  I have a pretty good high quality image of it myself.   His color combinations  are slightly different from the image of her at San Francisco.  He didn't paint her red mast banding...nor did he paint in her mast recesses white.  He didn't paint her rail stanchions white.     Other then that she looks like I plan on modeling her.

Here is my copy of this painting if you wish it for resolution detail....to aid in your own model.

Rob 

45655337_2098923280152782_3961285024711442432_o.jpg

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

4 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob & Vladimir,

(1) my personal favorite is the entire framed oil painting by Samuel Warren

20210602_063223.jpg

S3990.jpeg

Thanks Rich. 

very improtant piantings i guess. i like Montagues Dawsons glory. though all three rerpesent different painting style my fave is probably 1st as well. is it original ? framed? im not good at piantings recognition but with its almost 2 dimensional overdetailed painting and colour depiction is reminding me of prerenesance italian tempera painters ...although done far far after...but beautiful all of them. stylishly very different. now im going to google - :) Samuel Warren. 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

Thanks for the posts.  My favorite is Samuel Warren too.  I have a pretty good high quality image of it myself.   His color combinations  are slightly different from the image of her at San Francisco.  He didn't paint her red mast banding...nor did he paint in her mast recesses white.  He didn't paint her rail stanchions white.     Other then that she looks like I plan on modeling her.

Here is my copy of this painting if you wish it for resolution detail....to aid in your own model.

Rob 

45655337_2098923280152782_3961285024711442432_o.jpg

Rob im going to check Mr. google if there is any site selling commertial copies od this particular paint poster. id be interested  :)