USS Constitution by Unegawahya - Model Shipways - scale 1:76

Here is a picture of the cathead being installed on the actual ship. Hopefully this will answer any lingering questions on how it is suppose to be done. In my case, the cathead was glued flush to the waterway and not into it.  I felt cutting the already installed waterway would be too messy and could possible damage it. The resulting visual effect was the same.

Jon

Restore 2007.jpg

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

23 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Here is a picture of the cathead being installed on the actual ship. Hopefully this will answer any lingering questions on how it is suppose to be done. In my case, the cathead was glued flush to the waterway and not into it.  I felt cutting the already installed waterway would be too messy and could possible damage it. The resulting visual effect was the same.

Thanks Jon.  I was at the shop (excuse me, shipyard) yesterday installing the outer plank sheer.  Since I had already planked the upper gun ports and needed to perform minor surgery to fit the catheads, I think I'm good.  They can be installed later.  I did reshape the catheads a bit so the inner ends end closer to the waterway, so they look closer to the way they do now on the original. 

Your decision to add the hardware, fittings and rigging seems like the right way to go.  So, my next task will be exactly that, starting with setting up my little mill so I can carve out the  troughs between the holes for the "simulated sheaves".  

Thanks again,

1 hour ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Sorry Unegawahya, 

I don't know how the dialog between me and JS Gerson ended up in your build log.  This site can at times be confusing (at least for me).  

That’s perfectly ok!

I also did all the details on my cat heads before installing them. my only problem was that I waited way to long to put my cat heads in which caused me to have to modify my bulwarks and patch parts on the inside.

I also included some of my references pictures for you too!

IMG_1338.png

IMG_1339.png

IMG_1361.png

IMG_1341.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

where did you get the lion head carving?  I searched online and drew a blank.  I don't see one in the kit either. 

Thanks for providing those pictures.  I have a much better idea of what to do with the cathead now, which is basically - wait until I need to deal with the rigging, because I can get mine in and out of the opening in the bulwarks fairly easily. For now, I will drill the holes and mill the channels between them, then move on to the lower gunport framing. 

thanks again

Peter

As you have discovered, the Model Shipway kit does NOT provide a cathead carving. Either you carve your own like I think Unegawahya did, or "cheat" like I did using something similar that will work at this scale. This is what I used from, AliExpress. Unless your nose is 6" away, the viewer can't tell the difference.

2 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

where did you get the lion head carving?  I searched online and drew a blank.  I don't see one in the kit either. 

Thanks for providing those pictures.  I have a much better idea of what to do with the cathead now, which is basically - wait until I need to deal with the rigging, because I can get mine in and out of the opening in the bulwarks fairly easily. For now, I will drill the holes and mill the channels between them, then move on to the lower gunport framing. 

thanks again

Peter

You our very welcome!

I did carve my cat heads. It was very interesting to carve something that small! I believe page 5 or 6 of our plans has a not very detailed picture of the cat heads but I didn’t find it helpful at all!

Perhaps Unegawahya might consider opening up a small fabrication plant? Supply ship's wheels, lion head carvings, and all manner of miniature components that those of us with failing eyesight and shaky hands could use.  Heck, I'd pay for long boats too Jon! 

Jon, I did find that Ali Express site after posting earlier.  I wasn't keen on using my credit card at the site, but if you had a satisfactory transaction there, I'll give that a try, after I get back from a road trip that's going to sideline me for about a week.  

Unegawahya, I simply marvel at the quality of your carving.  Given that I just spent two hours dialing in my Proxon Micro Mill to cut the slots in a practice cathead, I'm probably just stubborn enough to attempt carving the lion's head too. I would reference one of the actual photos though, because you're right about the drawings in the plan being useless.  On the milling adventure for those slots?  Pretty good results, but I wish I had a smaller than 1mm mill - struck out on a search for  such however. I did get very even cuts, but they appear to be too close together.  To Jon's point, from a distance no one's going to notice it.

Thank you both for your feedback.

3 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Perhaps Unegawahya might consider opening up a small fabrication plant? Supply ship's wheels, lion head carvings, and all manner of miniature components that those of us with failing eyesight and shaky hands could use.  Heck, I'd pay for long boats too Jon! 

Jon, I did find that Ali Express site after posting earlier.  I wasn't keen on using my credit card at the site, but if you had a satisfactory transaction there, I'll give that a try, after I get back from a road trip that's going to sideline me for about a week.  

Unegawahya, I simply marvel at the quality of your carving.  Given that I just spent two hours dialing in my Proxon Micro Mill to cut the slots in a practice cathead, I'm probably just stubborn enough to attempt carving the lion's head too. I would reference one of the actual photos though, because you're right about the drawings in the plan being useless.  On the milling adventure for those slots?  Pretty good results, but I wish I had a smaller than 1mm mill - struck out on a search for  such however. I did get very even cuts, but they appear to be too close together.  To Jon's point, from a distance no one's going to notice it.

Thank you both for your feedback.

I’ve been getting shaky since I got out of the Navy and started driving a 50 ton wrecker for the last 13 years!
I have to brace my hands together and lean on my desk to keep it a bay!

• 3 weeks later...

I re-read your build log because you have long surpassed me and now I’m following you. It was then I realized that you did not use the cannons or cannonades that came with the kit, but purchased them. You also purchased the ships stove which I tried to recreate from scratch. Where did you get them from?

Once I get to the spar deck, I plan on modifying or replacing the kit’s cannonades so that it reflects the actual cannonades used in 1812. The present ones are incorrect replicas except for the two that use a screw to adjust elevation. I’ll have to scratch build all the carriages as well. You did a beautiful job.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 1:53 PM, JSGerson said:

I re-read your build log because you have long surpassed me and now I’m following you. It was then I realized that you did not use the cannons or cannonades that came with the kit, but purchased them. You also purchased the ships stove which I tried to recreate from scratch. Where did you get them from?

Once I get to the spar deck, I plan on modifying or replacing the kit’s cannonades so that it reflects the actual cannonades used in 1812. The present ones are incorrect replicas except for the two that use a screw to adjust elevation. I’ll have to scratch build all the carriages as well. You did a beautiful job.

Jon

Thank you! 
mall of the 3D printed parts come from Model Monkey. The guns were just about perfect size, but the carriages were just a bit too long and way to narrow according to the plans from the US Navy.

I ended modifying the carriage parts from the kit to look like the Navy plans. 

Thanks for the 3-D printing site. I looked at their carronades and would have liked them better if the carriages were separate, but other than that, they looked fine.

Jon

10 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Thanks for the 3-D printing site. I looked at their carronades and would have liked them better if the carriages were separate, but other than that, they looked fine.

Jon

I cut mine off the carriages and made a jig to drill my trunnions. The two screw elevated carronades I left the base attached.

When I get there, I'll probably modify the 3D parts as well. Now, if I could only find scale figurines to add to the eventual finished model to give the ship a sense of scale. I would like some period sailors about .75" tall (at a reasonable cost), but have had no success so far. 

Jon

On 11/4/2023 at 7:29 AM, JSGerson said:

When I get there, I'll probably modify the 3D parts as well. Now, if I could only find scale figurines to add to the eventual finished model to give the ship a sense of scale. I would like some period sailors about .75" tall (at a reasonable cost), but have had no success so far. 

Jon

I tried to find some as well, with no luck either. I had the 1/90 Revel USS Constitution and the little people were a great add on. 
We may have to find someone that’ll do custom printing to get the correct size and look. 

Sounds like a plan Unegawahya, but since I would like 10-12 figurines, they got to be cheap. A custom printed figurine that costs $5 or so apiece would be about $50 or $60 for the group plus shipping which really more than I want to spend. My Rattlesnake (1:64 scale) has 6 figurines and that provided the visual scale for the 2-ft model but those figurines are too big this model (scale 1:76.8). The MS Conny is going to be 4-ft, so twice as many would be nice.

Jon

• 1 month later...

Hey Jon

I know its been a while since this post. Have you considered HO scale figures. HO is 1:87 which is pretty close and these figures are readily available and pretty cheap. you can buy all sorts on Amazon and get anywhere from 25-100 for $10-12. You may have to do a little re-painting to make them look appropriate. Here's an example:

Amazon.com: NWFashion 25 PCS 1:87 Scales Painted Worker Figures for Miniature Dollhouse Railway Train : Toys & Games

g8rfan - Actually, I have looked at HO figures, but I've never transformed a human figure's clothing/look into something that reasonably looked like someone else. I don't have that artistic talent; but it's not out of the realm of possibilities yet. I've got a long way to go before I'll could use them, so I still have time to consider other possible solutions. Thanks though, for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 10:23 AM, g8rfan said:

Hey Jon

I know its been a while since this post. Have you considered HO scale figures. HO is 1:87 which is pretty close and these figures are readily available and pretty cheap. you can buy all sorts on Amazon and get anywhere from 25-100 for $10-12. You may have to do a little re-painting to make them look appropriate. Here's an example:

Amazon.com: NWFashion 25 PCS 1:87 Scales Painted Worker Figures for Miniature Dollhouse Railway Train : Toys & Games

@g8rfan Thanks for posting this link.  I too have been searching for figurines to add to my build and have not had much luck.  Even tried 3D printing, and that failed.  I did purchase one packet and positioned them around one cannon to see if they would work.  And they are perfect - yes, I will have to repaint them since orange coveralls and hardhats were not in vogue in 1812, but their positions and shape are perfect.20240106_195833.thumb.jpg.0b65ab31e3d0b564202f5cf53a5c04e4.jpg

20240106_195847-1.thumb.jpg.a6eafdcd3fd6af26b782d7c51b99a986.jpg

Regards, Brian

Completed: Chesapeake Bay Flattie (first kit build)

USS ENGAGE (first scratch build)

Under Construction: USS CONSTITUTION (BlueJacket Ship Crafters Kit - modified)

On 11/2/2023 at 7:56 PM, Unegawahya said:

the 3D printed parts come from Model Monkey. The guns were just about perfect size, but the carriages were just a bit too long and way to narrow according to the plans from the US Navy.

Seems to be the story of my life.  I get a lead on a website that could make my life easier, then the site ends up "temporarily closed".

Oh well.  At my pace of construction, I'll have several months before I need to consider alternatives.

Long time no see.  Are you still working on Conny?