Bluenose by figuerres - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  last week I had the main gaff rigged and looked at the main boom and saw that I had missed a couple of holes for the boom sheaves ... but in stead of using my dremel drill press I tried to do them by hand; BAD IDEA result was that I made crooked holes and had to re-make the main boom.

tonight I should be finishing the new boom and then I can move on to getting it rigged and finish the rigging.

side note: drilling holes in dowels. I am starting to think it might be usefull to make some kind of jig to hold a dowel for drill press work. the problem I have had is that I need to set a "TOP" side for the dowel and dill holes at for example 0 90 180 270   degrees, a small error can be very visible when two eyes are not at a 90 deg. angle from each other or a number of holes that should all be on 0 deg. are off a degree or two.

something like a set of blocks with a round or v shape that can be attached to the dowel before you start drilling and stay on at a set location till you are done.

that make it easy to clamp and un-clamp the jig to the drill press

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

Arghhh... you hit on one of my greatest fears - getting something completed and installed, then realizing there is just 'one more thing' that needed to be done.  I admire your tenacity in making a replacement instead of accepting the error.  I probably would have tried to cut the slot out and install real sheaves - nah, I would have hoped no one would notice and gone with the part as is :).

Your idea for the drilling jig is a good one and sounds like a good way to ensure alignment between multiple holes or multiple sessions with the same dowel.  I'll tuck that one into the back of my head for future use.  It'd bee good for drilling holes, attaching jaws and making bands.  I've pretty much done everything by hand and by eye to this point.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

re making the boom, I tried for a while to "patch" the first boom and saw that it was just a mess with the crooked hole I made and then trying to patch in a bit of wood to make the dowel solid again plus trying to then drill it and the time I was spending just fixing the first error.... in the end I figured it was faster and cleaner to go back.  and I have some spare wood that included a dowel of the right size.

JIG not sure if I got this in the other post but I am thinking of this:

take two long blocks of basswood and cut a "V" in each of them.

they need to be thick enough to also drill holes below the V  to take a bolt that runs under

if you had a 24" long pair of blocks that would be enough for a long dowel.

shorter ones would be good also.

if the bolts are adjusted to hold the dowel firmly in place then you should be able to set this in any larger clamp and have it such that you could drill straight down the top for a centered hole.

if the width of the blocks was not too much then you could also rotate the jig 90 deg and drill a true 90 offset w/o messing it up.

Building Hull :

• 1 year later...

Hello Folks,  I am back .... been quite a while, chnaging jobs, buying a house and moving, i think in a few weeks i will finally be back on track with my ship making !!!

Building Hull :

Welcome back!  I'm glad to see another Model Shipways Bluenose log come back to life!  I've been going through some withdrawal since Jerry finished his.

I noticed you're also building the Fair American, and you have the 18th Century Longboat in the wings.  I promise I didn't intentionally copy you, but I'm about halfway done with my Bluenose, I've got the Fair American kit on the shelf, and I received the 18th Century Longboat kit for Christmas.  So, I'll be pretty glued to your build logs for while!

Welcome back!  I'm glad to see another Model Shipways Bluenose log come back to life!  I've been going through some withdrawal since Jerry finished his.

I noticed you're also building the Fair American, and you have the 18th Century Longboat in the wings.  I promise I didn't intentionally copy you, but I'm about halfway done with my Bluenose, I've got the Fair American kit on the shelf, and I received the 18th Century Longboat kit for Christmas.  So, I'll be pretty glued to your build logs for while!

not a problem!

Building Hull :