Danmark by BuilderBen - Billing Boats - 1:72

After a long pause (almost 30 years) the first picture of the Danmark building process. I have finished the planking of the main deck. There is a difference in colour, because the new wood has been in the box and the wood that had been glued to the deck has been exposed to light. I hope that after sanding the deck with fine sandpaper (400) this wil disappear. Furthermore the deck has to be varnished in  wood colour. That leads me to some questions. 
- what colour should I use for the deck ( I.e. oak or Mahoney etc.), and shoul I use varnish from the DIY store, or is there special modelling varnish?

- on the boards I have glued some planks that are thicker than the deck planks. I am planning to sans them an varnish them, however on pictures of the ship I saw that this is metal. I am not sure if this is done later (as the ship was launched in 1932). Or would this be a builders decision? Any advice on this is welcome!

As final remark, this. Is my first wooden Billing Boats kit. Time will tell whether I should have started with a simpler kit 😀.

Best regards,

Ben

3E18AA62-9F8B-4CA7-9AC3-F73CD108E552.jpeg

3E8F866D-F574-49B0-A51D-3321B7B017AE.jpeg

I use light oak as the way I understand it, the deck is/was always light of colour. I use matt/satin varnish, water based from the DIY store. After that I use steel wool to make the deck smooth. You can put additional pressure in areas where people walk to get a weathering effect. Something I don't do because I feel that you would need to weather the whole boat to make it natural.

Peter

Bounty - Billing Boats

Le Mirage - Corel

Sultan Arab Dhow - Artesania Latina

Royal Caroline - Panart (in progress)

Yacht Admiralty Amsterdam - Scratch build (design completed, sourcing materials)

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some more pictures of the varnished deck. I am not completely satisfied with the colour of the middle deck, as the oak colour isn’t that that solid. Having said that, varnishing it again might result in a dark oak colour. Maybe I leave it like this, decks are always a bit worn down 😀. I further started with the hull, first parts are mounted and I am rather satisfied, but comments and advices to improve are always welcome.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by BuilderBen

Weathered decks on working ships tend to look pretty bland and worn. Star of India in San Diego just got a new deck in 2017, and the contrast between the old deck and the new deck is interesting.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update in the building process. The planking of the hull is going rather well (for a first time). i am also working on the cabins. I must say that the plastic doors don’t look very mahogany. I have finished these with Vallejo paint but they still look a bit ‘plastic’. Any tips on how to make them more realistic are welcome (maybe make wooden doors?). Finally, I have found some yellow paint, just have to see how it will look on the brass part. As always, tips and comments are welcome .9629D6EA-8C5E-4129-A564-71DBDEA24B39.thumb.jpeg.3900be5bb6c9da231b558d5a758a3937.jpeg

B0A28EFF-07CB-4B04-945F-7DB86F706E5C.jpeg

88278D1C-AEAB-4DF5-880E-FC54B6EF3A6E.jpeg

5CE903ED-0D8A-4424-824B-54D05A528AD0.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...