Harvey 1847 by DGerth - Artesania Latina - 1:50 - Baltimore Clipper

Hello all!

I've recently joined the NRG, and here's my first build log as I promised in my introduction. This is a kit I purchased back in 1993 at a hobby shop that was going out of business. I thought it would be a fun winter project. box.thumb.jpg.eef0eb96551f1a92687498528775b1c9.jpg

Well, all good plans, etc., but I started traveling extensively for work, and the kit took up residence in the garage. Eventually, I forgot about it. Fast forward to mid 2019, when we moved to Oregon. While unpacking the garage boxes, guess what I found. I pulled it out, looked it over, and decided to finally build it.

I looked up some YouTube videos, and with my newfound encyclopedic ship modeling knowledge set to work. I managed to get the bulkheads on the former straight and perpendicular, then started fairing. I used a hull plank strip to check as I went. Sorry, no pictures of this, as I didn't discover this forum until a little later on. That's also when I discovered that I didn't really know much about building wooden model ships :^). 

I got the first layer of planking completed by soaking the planks overnight, then temporarily clamping one on each side to the bulkheads until they were dried. I then glued them in place with carpenter's glue. I tapered the planks at the stem as needed to fit, and added a couple of wedges at the stern to fill in gaps. I then used filler to smooth out the hull, and gave it an initial sanding.

hull.jpg.56557044000530e68670b6cfe98c927c.jpgbow.jpg.b7120b9d7be04deb7467bc247a302a1b.jpgbow_II.thumb.jpg.a3ac0e4e71763d8107709caeb0c8dcbc.jpgstern.jpg.2f909f2676d98ef693adcdae5bf7529e.jpg

I started working on the deck, and followed the kit plans for planking. I used a sharpie to blacken the edges of the planks. Learned two things:

1. The planking pattern suggested in the plans was incorrect, and

2. Don't use a sharpie to blacken the plank edges. I will use a #2 pencil next time.

I used brass nails to simulate the deck nails. I clipped off the heads and burnished them to get them even with the deck planking.I then drilled for the masts. If I had found this forum earlier, I would have cut slots for the masts in the bulkhead former instead of drilling the holes later. I messed up the foremast hole, and had to ream it out a little. I will shim the mast as needed when I install it. I bent the waterway strips as I did the hull planks.deck.jpg.4a124bb18ce95f58f9846092568fb05b.jpg209292483_foredeck.jpg.09b489233ad74154de693d2623f60645.jpg783981866_aftdeck.jpg.4af1d15a9e84d61351902d3eb54748a1.jpg 

Well, after looking at a few build logs, I decided that my deck planking would not pass muster. I bit the bullet, broke out the IPA, and started stripping it off. I also decided to plug the foremast hole and re-drill correctly using the technique I saw in Tgahm's SYREN build log. Will post when I have something to show. I did find the NRG deck planking pdf, which really helped, but I need to determine which pattern is correct for a Baltimore Clipper of this era. I also need to determine the correct deck plank nailing.

As an aside, I purchased the NRG half hull planking kit. I also watched Chuck's edge bending videos. Between the two, I should be able to put together the second hull planking layer. I'll take a hiatus from the Harvey to complete the half hull kit before I start the final hull planking on the Harvey. I will finish the deck planking and bulwark installation on the Harvey prior to that.

Hello my friend. I see that you are a person of perfection but don't be discouraged rather be persistent. I also see that the Harvey, with some minor scantling changes may be converted to the HMS Mosquidobit, formerly the Lynx an American privateer of the war of 1812 captured by the British. The Mosquidobit was sent to England and her lines were taken off and a draught was made in May of 1816. Her dimensions were lenght on the deck was 94 ft 7 inches. Length of the keel for tonnage was 73 ft 1.24 inches. Extreme breadth was 24 ft and moulded breath was 23 ft 8 inches. The depth in the hold was 10 ft 3 inches. Burthen in tonnage was 223. I understand that this is a lot of information but I just wanted to show that a conversion to an actual ship is possible here. Just a thought my friend. Very good luck to you.

-Bob-

Hello all:

Stripped the decking today, was easier than I thought it would be. I started out by prying off the waterways

1706337643_Removingwaterway.jpg.588351f53332a5237c4c3ad488aaaa22.jpg

The tool you see came in a set of tweezers I bought. One end is like a cat's paw, the other a nice chisel:

tool.jpg.2e418a526d3061cfdb9b2dfdd564d124.jpg

It was the perfect size for this. I started by swabbing the planking with IPA using a Q-tip, then let it soak in for a couple of minutes. I was surprised at how quickly it loosened the glue, and the planks peeled up fairly easily.

1942205155_IPAsoak.jpg.6a77f1781425a7de2dbc011149339b87.jpg

1665351596_PlankRemoval.jpg.5b317a1abddf8e4d01eb42dc849c3698.jpg

Here we are about halfway through. Notice that the planks strip off in one piece (mostly).

halfway.jpg.c9f7cdbb84b0a975c8a5a0d735185379.jpg

Finally complete. Start to finish took a little over 45 minutes. Now I'll let her dry out for a couple of hours and sand the false deck down nice and smooth. I decided to file down the brass nail stubs instead of pulling them all out. Next will be plugging the foremast hole and re-drilling.264540940_strippedhull.jpg.f1dbbcda017875ed6d3d918550ba038b.jpg

Got the errant  foremast hole plugged. Cut a piece of dowel and glued it in, then stuffed the remainder of the cavity with plastic wood. Will let that dry overnight, then sand the false deck smooth.

foremast_1.jpg.2759dc0853a5283d902735c8c4216343.jpg

Plug installed

foremast_2.jpg.00e34a1f7339a6ec812ed943bbffab04.jpg

Plastic wood filled

foremast_3.jpg.d31a3070b5fcd18bd4e0d125382d4e10.jpg

tomorrow will sand the false deck.

I am planning to use a 3 plank repeat, but am unsure if I should go with trenails or the brass nails used previously. Suggestions?

If trenails, should I just place one at each plank end?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

I appreciate your persistence and attention to detail. I like the Baltimore clippers and will be following your thread.I am also working on a 1:48 Baltimore clipper and kit bashing it into a revenue cutter. The deck planking came out better than I expected and was a lot of fun! I am working on the rigging plans.

Edited by Dr PR

Thanks Bob and Phil, will keep nibbling away at it!

I just received the NRG half-hull planking kit, and after I get the deck back on the Harvey will probably let her rest and complete the half-hull. I would like to learn a bit about hull planking before I start the second layer of planking on the Harvey.

Phil - I looked up your builders log and read through it. I have ordered a copy of Chapelle's Baltimore Clipper book. It seems like there are a lot of design variants out there, I'll probably stick with the kit design and accept the fact that it is probably not historically accurate. I'm treating it as a learning experience, my next build will be a little more involved.

I did see that you are using a 1:4 deck planking pattern, I've seen several different patterns used so I'll stick with my 1:3 for this build. Still undecided about treenails vs brass nails though.

Dan

Well, had to take a small break there. Made up a drilling jig to redrill the foremast hole. Used poplar, and made it fairly tall to give the most support for the drill bit.

untitled-1.jpg.e5935760956d86aa265d0be90617b456.jpg

I angled the base to give the correct mast angle.

untitled-2.jpg.68bb3b4a00edb211bd1463d273a5d37a.jpg

The reference lines on it allowed me to align the hole with the centerline of the deck. I used a couple of small dabs of glue to lock it into position when drilling. Came right off with a little IPA after I was finished. The lines on the false deck are bleed from the sharpie used on the previous deck planks. The IPA dissolved the ink and left the outlines of the planks.

untitled-3.jpg.f6bb7393ae951eb344eb9027a3b0d67f.jpg

Here's the new deck, I think it looks a lot better than the previous version. I used a carpenter's pencil on one side of the planks for the caulk simulation.

untitled-4.jpg.b2752503f63bfac2d868c3f1e3e73ef9.jpguntitled-5.jpg.bdce964fc06428bd0d020a9bf6e9f042.jpg

I've decided to do treenails instead of the brass nails, I'm playing with Chuck's putty method to get that down. Also looking at different sized holes. After I get that complete, I will cut out and install the waterways. I think I'm going to scratch them from a sheet instead of trying to edge bend them. Unfortunately, I will need to order some wood. Don't have any hobby stores within 75 miles. I've also decided to use Tung oil after I get everything in place.