Lady Nelson by KirbysLunchBox - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64 - First Ship build

• 2 months later...

After several attempts to mix a color I liked, I think I can finally saw I am ready to start the second planking! The inner bulwarks and waterway are painted. Time to start making some sawdust again. 

D9D28991-813A-485B-8602-00CE5AE8EB6F.thumb.jpeg.f34eabe03fef430e523255fde19dde41.jpeg

7ABB9C32-45B9-4100-8AD1-C5DAC2989363.thumb.jpeg.d068e92386e32638f8ab2500f5a9786b.jpeg

Edited by KirbysLunchBox

~Kirby

Outstanding! We are actually at just about the same place on our builds. I started my second planking today. I posted a picture of mine on my build log a couple days ago, looks just like yours. 😄 👍

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

3 hours ago, KirbysLunchBox said:

For now. I have been at this for over a year. At my current progress rate you will be half way through your next build before I finish this one!

I just retired and trying to find my way in the world. 😂 I might have way more time than some to build. Whatever progress you make will be done out of joy and relaxation I’m sure and I’ll be watching. The bed pirate ship is crazy cool! 👍

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

8 hours ago, starlight said:

Hello Kirby,

I recently came across the pirate ship bed you built for your son and it was stunningly well done. I have no doubt you'll do a great job on this model too.

I wish I had put a waterway and spirketting on my Fly... maybe it's not too late...

Cheers,

starlight

Thank you for the kind words! I need to finish up the log on the pirate ship bed! That was a really fun project for sure.  

I know I didn’t need to go the extra details on this build, but I just couldn’t help myself. :)

~Kirby

7 hours ago, Dave_E said:

I just retired and trying to find my way in the world. 😂 I might have way more time than some to build. Whatever progress you make will be done out of joy and relaxation I’m sure and I’ll be watching. The bed pirate ship is crazy cool! 👍

I have a long way to go before I get that kind of free time.  Hopefully my hands and eyes are still good enough by the time I get there! 

~Kirby

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 5:16 PM, KirbysLunchBox said:

I knocked out the pedestals today. Not sure what drill size I used. Had some nails that were thinner than the keel and long enough to go about an inch into it and the pedestal.  I used a hand drill to make the holes in the keel. 

EB54EA8B-B081-4935-ADCC-D39364589E73.thumb.jpeg.88d58d0cec5327c79f77ebffaa31b17a.jpeg

1B9D8A14-196C-490A-8117-D148CA4BB7CB.thumb.jpeg.ee38c6a8bd7a71cb5f64b39a4bdadfe6.jpeg

The pedestals have a big hole in them. As wide as the keel. I used some scrap balsa and a stripping tool to make some square stock to wedge into the holes and then drilled them out to match the holes in the keel. 

In the end I have a set of pedestals with spikes in them. Still haven’t figured how I will attach the pedestals to the base. Figure some big screws or something. 

D3E4A8F9-3C18-4BAD-BE64-1DB1D8E18B09.thumb.jpeg.0031e1333178ecea3ff02d00929cad68.jpeg

5473F9DB-6876-4CBA-8DDB-EF63250A10DF.thumb.jpeg.1d0dba7b872e1fbf8a0b9030c1feb574.jpeg

752BE345-CC89-4DE8-A533-F29617265682.thumb.jpeg.45756716e7bd85cf2d9f7fd1589a07eb.jpeg

Should be clear to finish the first planking now at least!

Hi Kirby,

When you were fitting the pedestal mounts, how loose were they on the keel? Are you going to rely on the nails going into the baseboard for the stability of the model?

Dave

4 hours ago, KirbysLunchBox said:

It is pretty snug, but I am not sure I am going to trust it to them along.  I intend to design and 3D print a more beefy pedestal that also sets the keel angle to the drawing. 

Show us what you come up with when you do. 

Edited by Dave_E

Dave