Building multi-level masts

Hi all, I'm on the building the masts for my current (first wooden) build HMS Pickle from Jotika / Caldercraft.

Not easy, but OK so far - until I get to building the masts.

The lower main mast is made up in two parts; the upper from 4*4mm walnut and the lower from 6mm dowel.

The idea is to drill a 1.5mm hole in the top of the 6mm dowel and bottom of the 4*4 walnut piece. Then, a section of brass rod in inserted to join the two together..

I’ve tried doing this a couple of times but cannot seem to get both pieces straight. I do not have a bench drill or anything else so am having to do this by hand and eye. I did try to use a small vice to clamp the dowel section and have a set-square sitting upright on my bench as a guide to keeping the drill straight but the result is not good as can be seen!!

369082824_MainMast3.thumb.jpg.a0cae3d6355031ac699ada6d96215d30.jpg

It has been suggested that I make the sections of the mast by the lengthy process of planning and sanding the dowel to the correct shape. So my question is, has anyone used any other great methods to ensure a perfect match to the two mast pieces??

I take it that they give two pieces as the top of the mast should be square versus round.  While the top portion was often cut square it  started with round stock rather than being an add on.   You may want to try starting with square stock and the forming an octagon with a small plane, then rounding the entire length. Then with hobby knife, chisels, files and/or sandpaper, whatever you have in your arsenal, form the square section.  To simplify  you can use a 1/4" or 6mm dowel that matches the entire length you need  and cut/file/sand the tapered square section at the top.  The round portion will also have to be given flats on the port and starboard sides for the cheeks and/or hounds.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I wouldn't worry about getting a perfect match beyond having the two pieces in a straight line.

I assume there are going to be some trestle trees or other fittings covering up or hiding most of the joint.

1212574971_Mast2.jpg.a1ca8e2ff10a6c4f4dbf2d6425c6ef87.jpg

If you can, use a small wood dowel instead of the brass rod..  This will give you some play while setting up and a better joint when the glue dries.

The seam does not have to be perfect or invisible.  Once you build up the rest of the mast and add rigging it will not show.  You can also do some fine tuning of the appearance after the glue dries.

I often use this method to build up a mast from smaller pieces.

1957705914_Mast1.jpg.6d536c0757daff0fb491835c5000f012.jpg

Here is a mast I am working on but haven't glued yet..  The joint will not be visible when I am done.

I hope this is what you are referring to.. If not will try to clarify..

Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

17 hours ago, Gregory said:

I wouldn't worry about getting a perfect match beyond having the two pieces in a straight line.

I assume there are going to be some trestle trees or other fittings covering up or hiding most of the joint.

The seam does not have to be perfect or invisible.  Once you build up the rest of the mast and add rigging it will not show.  You can also do some fine tuning of the appearance after the glue dries.

I often use this method to build up a mast from smaller pieces.

Hi Gregory,

Many thanks for the advice.

Yes, the addition of cross-trees will hide the joint. However, it's not the joint that I'm concerned about but rather the angle between the main mast and the joined main mast top section which, due to the various angles in play is not straight.

I went to my local DIY store yesterday and purchased a length of 6mm dowel. Although it is of much inferior quality to the dowel supplied with the kit, I am going to attempt an all-in-one version, therefore cutting/carving/sanding the top square section.   

Still, I have other sections of mast to do so will try and find a method of drilling/joining that works!!!

Thanks for the help anyway.

18 hours ago, allanyed said:

. ..  You may want to try starting with square stock and the forming an octagon with a small plane, then rounding the entire length. Then with hobby knife, chisels, files and/or sandpaper, whatever you have in your arsenal, form the square section.  To simplify  you can use a 1/4" or 6mm dowel that matches the entire length you need  and cut/file/sand the tapered square section at the top.

Hi Allen

Many thanks for the advice.

I went to my local DIY store yesterday and purchased a new length of 6mm dowel. Although it is of much inferior quality to the dowel supplied with the kit, I am going to attempt an all-in-one version, therefore cutting/carving/sanding the top square section.   

Still, I have other sections of mast to do so will try and find a method of drilling/joining that works!!!

Thanks for the help anyway.