I would develop a ratio and proportion  using the example.

What is the depth of the chock in proportion to the total moulded dimension.  Looks to be about 1/2 to me, but I have never measured it.

The angle of the wedge would be constant.  The depth of the flat part of the ends would be constant ( no need for it to vary with larger chocks - verify this supposition), This would have the length be the variable. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Don, there is a LOT to the sizes and shapes of the chocks.  The futtocks have different sided dimensions as you move up from floor to second futtock, first futtock to third futtock, &c.  The chocks likewise have to be shaped to match these sided dimensions.   There is also the bevel of the frame so the cut into the futtocks and the sides of the chocks that are glued to the futtocks need to match this angle as well.    As to the length, I THINK this varied at different times.  Hopefully the drawings at NMM  will give you a good idea of the ratio of the sizes of each portion of the chock to the moulded dimension of the frame.  One example is at https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/80749.html    For a VERY detailed explanation on how to properly make these (and alternative solutions on later pages), David Antscherl's Volume I of The Fully Framed Model pages 83-88 is a fantastic source.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you for that link Alan. I took  a shot of it, enlarged a chock and now I can do some proportional measuring and come up with a plan.

Edit- That was easy. Using the molded dimension (MD) below the chock the length of the chock is 4MD. The depth is 3/4MD and the bits on the ends are 1/5MD. These are rounded out a bit. Actually I think if I had used the upper end of the chock as the MD the numbers would have been closer but on a 1:48 we're talking a few thou. Thanks

j2759a.jpg

Edited by Don Case