Mast colour

Have tried to get real mast colour. I believe pine or fir should be pale yellow with a dash of orange or honey. Still havent succeeded to do so. 

This stain (honey)I have used has given me some variants but still not a convincing mast colour. I did gave it on top a matt varnish... but....

Would appreciate any comments or guidance.

20210109_095152.jpg

Hello,

When shipbuilding in all things, I pick the color that appeals to me....

One of my professions is cabinet making, so based on my work with pine, 1 or 2 look ok....

And we know in real life, based on the finish, how old it is, and how well it’s maintained there is no one true mast color....

Therefore I just pick what makes sense to me....

Thank you.

Masts were made of pine, and oiled (at least: back in the 1600dreds, in the Netherlands.). That results in a orangy look. However, when times go by, he wood starts greying, and thecolour turns brown.

and above all: lighting conditions do wonders :). Check pictures of eg Duyfken in Freemantle or Batavia in Lelystad. Hard to tell what colour they have :)

I would go for a slightly toned down version of 2.

Jan

Polyurethane varnish diluted, so that you can wipe it on with a rag. Very popular across the pond, but less so in Europe. I guess people here prefer either nitrocellulose varnish or shellac solution.

When you say mast-colour, do you mean the colour of a mast after a certain treatment or the colour of paint that was/is used to give (metal) masts a sort of yellow colour ? I am asking this because I have the suspicion that you are looking for the right colour for your Imperial German yacht, right ?

This paint was some sort of ochre. The problem is that ochre can have a wide range of colours, from almost blueish red to a pale yellow, depending on where it comes from and how it is processed. I did some research for the Imperial German Navy, but did not get very far. The German Navy refers to it as 'Mastenfarbe', i.e. mast-colour, but there were no standards at the time. I made some enquiries at the Chatham Dockyard Museum as to what they used during the restoration of HMS GANNET, which has the typical later 19th century yellow masts, but due to COVID, I didn't get very far. Photographs can be misleading, but according to the picture I took some years ago, this ochre has a light pinkish tint.

Otherwise, masts treated with oil or pine tar will look somewhere between your samples 1 and 2, depending on the type of wood. I gather, if you used unbleached shellac, you would get about the right colour, which is slightly orangy. After applying the shellac, you can rub it down lightly with a humid cloth and some pumice dust or with very fine steel wool until you have the desired depth of colour. Rebuff to a light sheen with a cotton cloth or felt buffing wheel. This surface treatment doesn't add a visible layer of varnish, but gives a depth of colour.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

@wefalck Eberhard, thank you. I do use nitrocellulose, and am doing that in order to seal and fine sand the wood. I never have used it to colour masts.

Thank you for guiding me, am going to try a few techniques,  your guidance using nitrocellulose and then a pine stain.  Am also going to use some light  pine stain with or without a dash of honey stain. At the top of the stain am thinking  a pass of matt varnish.

Final coat of furniture paste wax is also an option....easy to apply, ready quickly, a traditional wood finish, looks good....

Coating wood with plastic, that’s what poly is, seems incongruous with a ship model, and I hate the hazardous waste....

My personal preference is shellac or stain under acrylics (painted finish) or stain/wax (unpainted finish).

Cheers