Assistance please required re rigging ends

Good morning everyone.  I am sure this must have been asked before, but i can't seem to find anything that matches what I need ( but that is probably just me)

I have started to build OcCre kits ( building a couple of their Trams which are excellent quality) as AL kits seem to have lost their quality and I am finishing off the AL  Le Reynard ship, which is a lovely little project.

My problem ( apart from the instruction diagrams) is how do you folks manage to create coils of rigging rope that I see in all of your builds.  I find that I manage to wrap the "ropes" around the fittings etc, and glue them in place, however, that ends up with just two or three "winds" as it where.  What I would really like is to create a set of  coils but every time i try to do this, they end up too big or fall apart as I am doing them. It is VERY frustrating, but your builds show how effective they can look.

Any answers would be most appreciated or if there is an answer on the site, please do point me at it.

Many thanks

Dave 

Dave,

It sounds like you are speaking about coils on belaying pins versus Flemish coils on the deck.  If so, this post from here at MSW may be useful for you.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Dave,

It sounds like you are speaking about coils on belaying pins versus Flemish coils on the deck.  If so, this post from here at MSW may be useful for you.

fantastic Allan. Exactly what I needed.  I see the idea of creating a small jig with two nails to wrap the rigging line around. I was trying to wrap it around my fingers and of course the line would unwind as soon as i try to take them off.  Looks like some practice is required.  Thanks again.  

Dave,

When rigging model ships, clear nail polish makes a lot of things much easier. Get a bottle of the lacquer based stuff, not the acrylic.  A little bottle with the brush in the cap sells for less than $2.00.  It’s much nicer to use than CA glue and dries as fast.  Used sparingly to secure knots, servings, etc it will be invisible.

Roger

There's another way that's similar to the video, but instead of the two pins on the same plane, they are a 90 degree angle from each other.  Wrap as the video shows then brush the whole coil with a mix of white glue and water (50-50) and allow dry.  When removed and installed (again... glue/water at the pin) it hangs neatly over the belaying pin.   I find this is a lot easier especially where space is limited on smaller scales (1:64 or less).

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)