Looking for ideas

Robp1025

So I'm trying to put some ideas together of my next boat I should do. While yes I have some time until I'm done my HMS Beagle, I do need to plan in advance for my ships because of the investment it incures. I've been trying to see if there is any pirate ships that have kits but it turns out most dont have kits. I dont have the tools to do a from scratch build and I'm still new so we wont go that route yet. 

Pretty much what I know is I want to do a bigger kind of ship like a Galleon not a schooner or a fishing boat. Also with some link towards music or a famous artist to pull historical appeal to the project would be nice as well. 

I look forward to some ideas and I do like a challenge. I dont shy away from projects even with harder difficulties because I learn quick and enjoy the challenge. 

Have you looked at BlueJacket's Pirate Brig? It's not a larger ship than the Beagle, but would fit your interest in that realm. Realistically, pirate ships were generally just any ship of the period taken over and converted to that purpose. There wasn't a Royal Pirate Shipyard churning out bespoke designs. So you could also simply decide on an era, then adapt a kit for a likely candidate, for example by adding more guns or something. Could be a fun toe in the water of the kitbashing to scratchbuilding arc.

If you want a link to literature, you could always tackle something like Model Shipways' Charles Morgan whaling ship and revisit Moby Dick while you're at it.

Edited by Cathead

I’ve built two  Caldercraft models and am on my third. They are quite good quality for the money and have a good range of models for different skill levels. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina