Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

I cant believe IT. Top of the fancyrail. Im so done. Exhausted.  But she IS done. Ať least second  big most important  super difficult milestone. I Will také IT very easy from now on so there wont be Updates fór weeks or months probably. and except ofvl paint and  figurehead. I Wish i could find  premade deck somewhere. Will see. I have broken computer so no more adjustments fór bow ornamentals. will be laser cut. Im looking forward tremendously for those. I still need to repair some bow things..but overwall drawings materialised. Im in awe how much Lena angles and photofgraphy distorts. Especially stern. Anglijg and focal length. IT Can be full and short as inichaels drawings and Can be sleek and shallow as well. I believe we hlave All recreated probably  as truer Glory of the seas as possible though. 

IMG_20210817_124729.jpg

IMG_20210817_124740.jpg

IMG_20210817_124814.jpg

IMG_20210817_124823.jpg

IMG_20210817_124836.jpg

IMG_20210817_124847.jpg

IMG_20210817_124900.jpg

IMG_20210817_124940.jpg

IMG_20210817_124944.jpg

IMG_20210817_125044.jpg

IMG_20210817_124950.jpg

IMG_20210817_125002.jpg

IMG_20210817_125049.jpg

IMG_20210817_125122.jpg

IMG_20210817_125129.jpg

IMG_20210817_125156.jpg

IMG_20210817_125158.jpg

IMG_20210817_125216.jpg

IMG_20210817_125258.jpg

IMG_20210817_125338.jpg

IMG_20210817_125352.jpg

IMG_20210817_125517.jpg

IMG_20210817_125522.jpg

IMG_20210817_125526.jpg

IMG_20210817_125534.jpg

IMG_20210817_125543.jpg

IMG_20210817_125642.jpg

IMG_20210817_125630.jpg

IMG_20210817_125704.jpg

IMG_20210817_125658.jpg

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
Add

She looks absolutely wonderful.  Well done.  One big milestone....you have overcome.

Can't wait to see how you tackle the figurehead.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

7 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks much Rich, clau arrives tmw im gonna make wired skeletone underjeath today. Will hang photo. 

Vladimir, utilizing Lloyd McCaffery's excellent carving, I've been able to get a close approximation to Glory's Grecian Goddess 'Athene' from straight ahead. It's actually surprising how much detail can be fit into this relatively small area.

20210817_140324.jpg

1 hour ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, utilizing Lloyd McCaffery's excellent carving, I've been able to get a close approximation to Glory's Grecian Goddess 'Athene' from straight ahead. It's actually surprising how much detail can be fit into this relatively small area.

20210817_140324.jpg

Vladimir, here she is from the Port side. Now you should have enough to do a decent Figurehead.

20210817_160106.jpg

14 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

I cant believe IT. Top of the fancyrail. Im so done. Exhausted.  But she IS done. Ať least second  big most important  super difficult milestone. I Will také IT very easy from now on so there wont be Updates fór weeks or months probably. and except ofvl paint and  figurehead. I Wish i could find  premade deck somewhere. Will see. I have broken computer so no more adjustments fór bow ornamentals. will be laser cut. Im looking forward tremendously for those. I still need to repair some bow things..but overwall drawings materialised. Im in awe how much Lena angles and photofgraphy distorts. Especially stern. Anglijg and focal length. IT Can be full and short as inichaels drawings and Can be sleek and shallow as well. I believe we hlave All recreated probably  as truer Glory of the seas as possible though. 

IMG_20210817_124729.jpg

IMG_20210817_124740.jpg

IMG_20210817_124814.jpg

IMG_20210817_124823.jpg

IMG_20210817_124836.jpg

IMG_20210817_124847.jpg

IMG_20210817_124900.jpg

IMG_20210817_124940.jpg

IMG_20210817_124944.jpg

IMG_20210817_125044.jpg

IMG_20210817_124950.jpg

IMG_20210817_125002.jpg

IMG_20210817_125049.jpg

IMG_20210817_125122.jpg

IMG_20210817_125129.jpg

IMG_20210817_125156.jpg

IMG_20210817_125158.jpg

IMG_20210817_125216.jpg

IMG_20210817_125258.jpg

IMG_20210817_125338.jpg

IMG_20210817_125352.jpg

IMG_20210817_125517.jpg

IMG_20210817_125522.jpg

IMG_20210817_125526.jpg

IMG_20210817_125534.jpg

IMG_20210817_125543.jpg

IMG_20210817_125642.jpg

IMG_20210817_125630.jpg

IMG_20210817_125704.jpg

IMG_20210817_125658.jpg

Vladimir, as usual, absolutely beautiful work. Her form, like Rob's is developing distinctly to represent "GLORY of the SEAS." 

An observation which might frustrate you after you put in so much hard work to create it. The upper T'gallant, Fancy or Monkeyrail is solid, enclosed, ie like a box. So all that lovely bulkhead work for the upper works isn't accurate in comparison to the actual vessel herself. That's what Rob pointed out to me when I had to revise my sketch. 

Honestly, if it's too much of a bother, nobody but us nit-pickers will ever notice it.

13 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, as usual, absolutely beautiful work. Her form, like Rob's is developing distinctly to represent "GLORY of the SEAS." 

An observation which might frustrate you after you put in so much hard work to create it. The upper T'gallant, Fancy or Monkeyrail is solid, enclosed, ie like a box. So all that lovely bulkhead work for the upper works isn't accurate in comparison to the actual vessel herself. That's what Rob pointed out to me when I had to revise my sketch. 

Honestly, if it's too much of a bother, nobody but us nit-pickers will ever notice it.

thanks much, and not to worry Rich i will make it solid easily. just sanding off from those bulwarks and gluing solid wood ;) . V. 

Vladimir, watching your and Rob's progress on these incredible "GLORY of the SEAS" Clipper Ships, I know I have nothing to worry about. I'm just doing my best to assist both of you brilliant craftsmen with maintaining accuracy to Glory wherever it's helpful. Meanwhile to observe the creation of not one but two spectacular models of McKay's last, longest lived Clipper is a thrill of a lifetime. 

54 minutes ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

thanks Rich, oh where do i buy her? :) 

Lloyd McCaffery's 'Glory' carving

$8,000.00 (I asked out of curiosity)

J Russell Jinishian Martime Art Gallery

152 Water Street, Stonington, CT

I imagine shipping and insurance would add to that investment.

Maybe someday Michael Mjelde may be interested in adding her to his collection. Unless of course, you beat him to it..... 😉

21 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, here she is from the Port side. Now you should have enough to do a decent Figurehead.

20210817_160106.jpg

Absolutely great drawings Rich.  But if I was to add any criticism, it would be that her right arm is too long for her body.  From her shoulder to her elbow is out of proportion and from her elbow to her forearm is out of proportion.  Chisel them back a bit and you are spot on.

Other then that...great 3-D rendering.  The physical form is the most difficult for me to replicate.  I was only able to partially pull it off...because of the extreme small scale.  And still I made ample mistakes...that are forever unretractable.  Cuz I ain't going back.

I'm anxious to see what Vlad does...short of buying his version from a collector......😎

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

42 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

Absolutely great drawings Rich.  But if I was to add any criticism, it would be that her right arm is too long for her body.  From her shoulder to her elbow is out of proportion and from her elbow to her forearm is out of proportion.  Chisel them back a bit and you are spot on.

Other then that...great 3-D rendering.  The physical form is the most difficult for me to replicate.  I was only able to partially pull it off...because of the extreme small scale.  And still I made ample mistakes...that are forever unretractable.  Cuz I ain't going back.

I'm anxious to see what Vlad does...short of buying his version from a collector......😎

Rob

Rob, I see what you mean, especially for the front view. I think the left side looks ok but how do those others look to you?

I am anxious and hesitant to start Rob. Im not convinced i have ability. i envy your work with even smaller outcome. I basically think myself it is soo small it should be done properly drawn in 3D program and 3 D printed as most of figureheads of this scale are made in boxwood these days. i personal

y think it is torture at least to make viable form of her but there cannot be word about detailing. atm i holding in hand revell cutty sark in 1:96 scale. i can tell it is such small that i am about t osay there is almost no piint making it. i would say apyour outcome is far better in this respect. i will still play just for the fun. but shat i want is detailed figurehead which i will proably at the end end up drawing in 3 D program a d have printed as 3 D object. 

i was even playing with buying snd modifying some resin greek goddess...but they are atill way way bigger....i dont wa t to elt you down Rob but please dont expect anything plausible from me. im not up to it. however i like Richs drawing as there is pretty much everything it should be in such small scale figurehead. not more details ...V. 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

4 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, I see what you mean, especially for the front view. I think the left side looks ok but how do those others look to you?

Pretty good……just the right arm

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

8 hours ago, druxey said:

I'd be happy to carve her for a fraction of that price!

Druxey, you still have one of the nicest line drawings I've seen of Glory's lovely figurehead, which I just reposted for Vlad. Size difference would be to your favor as the $8k statue is 8" tall whereas Vlad only needs one that's 1 1/4" tall.

Dear Folks

i decided to postpone figurehead. :( as chaotic as I am, i maek sure your effort to help wont wane as I will return to it rpetty much all the time, but i do t want any result shorter of spectacular, so i decided opposite route. - to make or have madevinstall figurehead last. 

i decided to pain boat forst and install laser cut  bow ornamentals , nameboard, paint waterway ...i contacted my laser guy and i am sure you will much love this chapter .

something about painting. im going to apoly thin coat of dark liberon shellac on her to keep or prevent raising of  grain as much as possible and over the top i will apply fiebing black leather Dye for balc kcoat. ´aybe some wax on the top. 

i believe all moldings are black as well at this point only top cover of fancy rail is white. 

Rich is entire sheerline white on 1869 ? or even golden? Thank you very much for that.

i have to istall first those rails holding rope blocks ...

going to it. 

V. 

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Dear Folks

i decided to postpone figurehead. :( as chaotic as I am, i maek sure your effort to help wont wane as I will return to it rpetty much all the time, but i do t want any result shorter of spectacular, so i decided opposite route. - to make or have madevinstall figurehead last. 

i decided to pain boat forst and install laser cut  bow ornamentals , nameboard, paint waterway ...i contacted my laser guy and i am sure you will much love this chapter .

something about painting. im going to apoly thin coat of dark liberon shellac on her to keep or prevent raising of  grain as much as possible and over the top i will apply fiebing black leather Dye for balc kcoat. ´aybe some wax on the top. 

i believe all moldings are black as well at this point only top cover of fancy rail is white. 

Rich is entire sheerline white on 1869 ? or even golden? Thank you very much for that.

i have to istall first those rails holding rope blocks ...

going to it. 

V. 

Vlad, you have to do what you have to do. Make what you need to make not what other people think you have to make or what they want you to make. The top Gallant rail looks really good there at the forecastle,  I was wondering are you going to continue on down the full length of the hull? 

So many details it’s almost mindnumbing.

Apart from the laser cut bulkhead you provided me I will not be doing any other laser work , all handwork on my model.

I can’t wait to see the laser cut scroll work.

Great job,  love your model. 

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

Vlad, you have to do what you have to do. Make what you need to make not what other people think you have to make or what they want you to make. The top Gallant rail looks really good there at the forecastle,  I was wondering are you going to continue on down the full length of the hull? 

So many details it’s almost mindnumbing.

Apart from the laser cut bulkhead you provided me I will not be doing any other laser work , all handwork on my model.

I can’t wait to see the laser cut scroll work.

Great job,  love your model. 

Rob

Rob thanks for your opinion. it helped down the road. Well if its solid all the way down i ll do it. i started preparing some other works but i forgot few. 

I seriously think i will not mast or rig her, only hint of mast sticking in. at this scale its hust enormous amount of work and time. maybe after few years. what i want to accomplish is focus on building and those upper rail detailings etc.... and im looking forward to put color on her...and plating. ...

Vladimir, just remember that the tip of Glory's Naval Hoods ends right at Bowsprit Band #3 (#4 if you count the sole band which encircles both Jibboom above & Bowsprit below). Her Grecian Goddess 'Athene' aligns precisely midway between bands #3 & #4 which go around the lower Bowsprit only. 

40 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, just remember that the tip of Glory's Naval Hoods ends right at Bowsprit Band #3 (#4 if you count the sole band which encircles both Jibboom above & Bowsprit below). Her Grecian Goddess 'Athene' aligns precisely midway between bands #3 & #4 which go around the lower Bowsprit only. 

Actually Rich,  I’ve done some further analysis and if you look at the very clear image that Mike gave us, if you follow the third band around to it’s termination at the bottom of the bowsprit you can see that that band is almost between the tip of the hood and the back of the figureheads head take another look you’ll see. If you look at the third band just on its side it appears to be exactly at the tip of the hood but follow it to its termination on the bottom and that is the actual point where it’s at coming down behind Athena’s head. We don’t have an exact angle from the side like a Profile , But I think it’s clear.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Rob, there's a clear gap between 'Athene's' hair bun at the back of her head and the tip of the Naval Hoods. As far as that tip is concerned, it appears to end at the inside edge of iron band #3, then there's a space where you can clearly see the remaining fragment of her right hand grasping her toga, then her black painted hair bun. As far as I can tell her forehead aligns midway between bands #3 & #4. 

2 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, there's a clear gap between 'Athene's' hair bun at the back of her head and the tip of the Naval Hoods. As far as that tip is concerned, it appears to end at the inside edge of iron band #3, then there's a space where you can clearly see the remaining fragment of her right hand grasping her toga, then her black painted hair bun. As far as I can tell her forehead aligns midway between bands #3 & #4. 

I defer to your assessment.   You’ve been working on her for far more years then me. 
Perception is everything. Your advice to Vlad is sound.  Thanks for hearing me.  

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):