Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

Vlad.....I'm very glad you opted to finish her...and not leave her as a hull model.  Funny thing is...you and I tackled our first versions of her with the same idea...to keep her as she was originally designed and built by Donald McKay.  As we traveled this road...you kept on track..where I took another direction.  My version being my second attempt...I went full bore...to see her as she was at her panicle.

You've captured her wonderfully.   *Keeping her decks clear*.  One BIG identifying observation made at her completion....by Duncan McClean.    You've stopper rigging her at a good point....not withholding any MAJOR rigging structure...but releasing you from the tedium of rigging her stunsails and all those bunt lines and blocks associated with them.

I'm very impressed.  There were times, as in my own experience, we had to make about faces and redo some incorrect work.  It's fascinating to notice that you and I used some similar and many different means and techniques to accomplish the tasks at hand...and to enjoy the outcome.  I am very proud of your accomplishment.  I feel as if I almost *Talked* you into building her, as I tried to convince you that American clippers were far larger and more exciting and faster then their British counterparts.  I feel I *Lured* you in.  you did not disappoint.

Thank you for helping me along with my own build...by extending your skills at CAD work and provide me with my own POB frames.  A corroboration that crossed miles and cultures.  I am indebted to you as well my friend.

I hope this finds you well and this new year will provide greater opportunities  for you.  I can tell you...I am richly blessed because of our association.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

59 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

Vlad.....I'm very glad you opted to finish her...and not leave her as a hull model.  Funny thing is...you and I tackled our first versions of her with the same idea...to keep her as she was originally designed and built by Donald McKay.  As we traveled this road...you kept on track..where I took another direction.  My version being my second attempt...I went full bore...to see her as she was at her panicle.

You've captured her wonderfully.   *Keeping her decks clear*.  One BIG identifying observation made at her completion....by Duncan McClean.    You've stopper rigging her at a good point....not withholding any MAJOR rigging structure...but releasing you from the tedium of rigging her stunsails and all those bunt lines and blocks associated with them.

I'm very impressed.  There were times, as in my own experience, we had to make about faces and redo some incorrect work.  It's fascinating to notice that you and I used some similar and many different means and techniques to accomplish the tasks at hand...and to enjoy the outcome.  I am very proud of your accomplishment.  I feel as if I almost *Talked* you into building her, as I tried to convince you that American clippers were far larger and more exciting and faster then their British counterparts.  I feel I *Lured* you in.  you did not disappoint.

Thank you for helping me along with my own build...by extending your skills at CAD work and provide me with my own POB frames.  A corroboration that crossed miles and cultures.  I am indebted to you as well my friend.

I hope this finds you well and this new year will provide greater opportunities  for you.  I can tell you...I am richly blessed because of our association.

Rob

Many thanks Rob. Tell the truth, I was just plain beginner when building cutty sark not capable of making glory at all around that time  so it was good decision to wait a bit. sure this build was not piece of cake due to fact that we hurried up building after having sortrd out hull structurd as well as part of excitement and curiosity. and we discussed along ...yes we came into funny part when both had to lift forecastle, but it all was just hell of a journey. I would say we know her from bottom up at this point. Cheers to Mckay ! :)

53 minutes ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Many thanks Rob. Tell the truth, I was just plain beginner when building cutty sark not capable of making glory at all around that time  so it was good decision to wait a bit. sure this build was not piece of cake due to fact that we hurried up building after having sortrd out hull structurd as well as part of excitement and curiosity. and we discussed along ...yes we came into funny part when both had to lift forecastle, but it all was just hell of a journey. I would say we know her from bottom up at this point. Cheers to Mckay ! :)

And none of this...NONE of it, would have been remotely possible if not for the help and aid of Michael Mjelde and the generous use of his extensive photographic collection.

Not to mention years previous...I and Rich Jones, had already concluded we needed to correct the errors falsely identified as Glory's hull design.  Previous models were wrong...even Mike's own drawings were wrong (and he came to know it).   The entire adventure...began so many years ago......on opposite coasts of America.  With Rich and myself wanting and concluding the same things.  He found me and we, along with yourself, made it come to fruition.

Thanks a lot Vlad.

Now... what is your next move for your Glory?   And beyond?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Vlad,

Congratulations!  Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

@Vladimir_Wairoa You may have noticed my participation in your build has been somewhat absent of late. I will explain. But before that, I want to say Vlad, you have done a jaw dropping, exacting recreation of Donald McKay's last, magnificent clipper ship Glory of the Seas as she was originally launched! I think perhaps in the annals of ship modeling, this is a first, where two distinct and vastly different versions of the same vessel have been historically, meticulously recreated in precise, exacting details. More than anything, this also emphasizes the living, breathing nature of these massive vessels which were continuously modified by each ship's captain as they adjusted her appearance to suit their own particular preferences. For months, possibly years at a time, these lovely ships were home to everyone on board. Comparing and contrasting these two replicas will demonstrate how dramatically different Glory of the Seas' appearance became over a relatively few short years. I now have a clear direction on how to complete the long delayed second Nautical Research Journal article. Actually, credit our great friend and mentor, the inimitable author Michael Mjelde who suggested emphasizing the dramatic alterations of McKay's longest lived vessel as a fascinating focal point. As promised, I'll now explain my lack of participation. Ironically, if it hadn't been for the myriad set-backs my family's experienced over the past two years, the article would have been finished with nary a mention of Vladimir's version! It's almost felt like my efforts to complete it were somehow being intentionally delayed by forces beyond my control. A few years ago, purely by accident my son sat on my laptop which I foolishly left on the front seat of the car, when I picked him up from work. Initially, it seemed like I dodged a bullet, as everything worked fine. Spring of 2022, it slowly stopped charging and then worse yet it suddenly would shut off. Since everything I had from work and personal was on this sole laptop, I bought what originally appeared to be a newer laptop and paid good money to a local computer guru to move all files to this supposedly newer, more advanced version. After he was done, he informed me that he had to shoehorn everything in, since the computer I bought was actually older with about half the storage capacity! I tried to avert more problems by buying online storage. At first it worked and I thought the issue was resolved. Until a few months later problems getting on line developed. Finally, I broke down and bought a brand new laptop with tons of storage. So now I was able to go back to finishing the article. Then on November 1st, 2022 our son was rear ended in our 05 Camry and it was a total loss. So now, I'm focused on trying to find a replacement as our sole remaining car was a 99 Camry. Very reliable but a stick shift. AKA a Millenial anti-theft device. Meanwhile my wife was ill with a seasonal virus, not Covid-19 but still trying and it eventually went through our whole family. No sooner had we recovered from that, than on December 23rd, in an icy, violently windy cold snap, a stately 100' tall 3' diameter wide Eastern Pine tree cracked about 10' above the ground. Resulting fall blew a transformer. Our home with six others lost power. Fortunately we rented a local hotel room before they were all taken. Power was restored around 5:00pm Christmas Day. But while we had lights, there was no heat. Eventually heat was restored but not before the home was flooded in our kitchen, with water in our son's bedroom and water leaking into the garage. So now another distraction was added to that of finding a replacement car. Oh yeah, the same day we were able to return home, our entire family tested positive for Covid-19 too! More healthy delays. So, while searching for a newer car, I stumbled onto an ultra rare '97 30th Anniversary Cougar with relatively low miles. We had owned one years before and our family loved her. March 20th, 2023 this car was registered. My family thought finally something's gone right. Then July 1st an irresopnsible jackass in an Accord did an illegal right lane pass, violated a right turn lane, ran a red light and traveling near 70mph went out of his way to hit and total our car! We owned that car for exactly 101 days... A day after the accident, which thankfully neither my son nor I were hurt in, the clutch on our remaining 99 Toyota failed. So I caught a taxi to get a rental car. Now we finally have a decent 2013 Avalon and life is sort of returning to normal. I can finally focus on getting the article done. Which I will definitely do, giving full equal coverage to both builds.. 

Edited by ClipperFan
grammar correction

16 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

I now have a clear direction on how to complete the long delayed second Nautical Research Journal article. Actually, credit our great friend and mentor, the inimitable author Michael Mjelde who suggested emphasizing the dramatic alterations of McKay's longest lived vessel as a fascinating focal point.

Glad to see you posting again Rich.  Life can be a struggle at times.

I would love to see an articles emphasis on the differences of Glory, as presented over time.  A good photographic comparison would be fascinating.  Very few ships, (let alone clippers) can be represented with two separate models, that accurately depict the same vessel at different times of their evolution.  Someone who  stumbles on just one or the other representations (Models) of Glory , (without any back story), might conclude, that one of them is incorrect.   I'm truly looking forward to the article.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

I can only reiterate earlier comments that hopefully your run of bad luck is well and truly behind you.  It is a testament to your attitude to life that all of this has not brought you down and that you maintain a positive outlook.  Good luck with the article.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

19 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Glad to see you posting again Rich.  Life can be a struggle at times.

I would love to see an articles emphasis on the differences of Glory, as presented over time.  A good photographic comparison would be fascinating.  Very few ships, (let alone clippers) can be represented with two separate models, that accurately depict the same vessel at different times of their evolution.  Someone who  stumbles on just one or the other representations (Models) of Glory , (without any back story), might conclude, that one of them is incorrect.   I'm truly looking forward to the article.

Rob

Rob, that's exactly what I intend the focus on this second article to be. Wouldn't it be wonderful if some museum expressed an interest in displaying both finished models along with a cache of Michael Mjelde's wonderful documents?

Edited by ClipperFan
grammar correction

8 hours ago, Rick310 said:

WOW Clipperfan, glad everyone is Okay,

hope you have used up all your bad luck and only have good luck going forward.

Rick

Rick,

From your lips to God's ears... Thanks for your concern. I'm doing my level best to avoid any other problems.

3 hours ago, BANYAN said:

I can only reiterate earlier comments that hopefully your run of bad luck is well and truly behind you.  It is a testament to your attitude to life that all of this has not brought you down and that you maintain a positive outlook.  Good luck with the article.

cheers

Pat

Pat, thanks for the encouraging words. I too hope our hall of broken mirrors experience is behind us.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:01 AM, ClipperFan said:

@Vladimir_Wairoa You may have noticed my participation in your build has been somewhat absent of late. I will explain. But before that, I want to say Vlad, you have done a jaw dropping, exacting recreation of Donald McKay's last, magnificent clipper ship Glory of the Seas as she was originally launched! I think perhaps in the annals of ship modeling, this is a first, where two distinct and vastly different versions of the same vessel have been historically, meticulously recreated in precise, exacting details. More than anything, this also emphasizes the living, breathing nature of these massive vessels which were continuously modified by each ship's captain as they adjusted her appearance to suit their own particular preferences. For months, possibly years at a time, these lovely ships were home to everyone on board. Comparing and contrasting these two replicas will demonstrate how dramatically different Glory of the Seas' appearance became over a relatively few short years. I now have a clear direction on how to complete the long delayed second Nautical Research Journal article. Actually, credit our great friend and mentor, the inimitable author Michael Mjelde who suggested emphasizing the dramatic alterations of McKay's longest lived vessel as a fascinating focal point. As promised, I'll now explain my lack of participation. Ironically, if it hadn't been for the myriad set-backs my family's experienced over the past two years, the article would have been finished with nary a mention of Vladimir's version! It's almost felt like my efforts to complete it were somehow being intentionally delayed by forces beyond my control. A few years ago, purely by accident my son sat on my laptop which I foolishly left on the front seat of the car, when I picked him up from work. Initially, it seemed like I dodged a bullet, as everything worked fine. Spring of 2022, it slowly stopped charging and then worse yet it suddenly would shut off. Since everything I had from work and personal was on this sole laptop, I bought what originally appeared to be a newer laptop and paid good money to a local computer guru to move all files to this supposedly newer, more advanced version. After he was done, he informed me that he had to shoehorn everything in, since the computer I bought was actually older with about half the storage capacity! I tried to avert more problems by buying online storage. At first it worked and I thought the issue was resolved. Until a few months later problems getting on line developed. Finally, I broke down and bought a brand new laptop with tons of storage. So now I was able to go back to finishing the article. Then on November 1st, 2022 our son was rear ended in our 05 Camry and it was a total loss. So now, I'm focused on trying to find a replacement as our sole remaining car was a 99 Camry. Very reliable but a stick shift. AKA a Millenial anti-theft device. Meanwhile my wife was ill with a seasonal virus, not Covid-19 but still trying and it eventually went through our whole family. No sooner had we recovered from that, than on December 23rd, in an icy, violently windy cold snap, a stately 100' tall 3' diameter wide Eastern Pine tree cracked about 10' above the ground. Resulting fall blew a transformer. Our home with six others lost power. Fortunately we rented a local hotel room before they were all taken. Power was restored around 5:00pm Christmas Day. But while we had lights, there was no heat. Eventually heat was restored but not before the home was flooded in our kitchen, with water in our son's bedroom and water leaking into the garage. So now another distraction was added to that of finding a replacement car. Oh yeah, the same day we were able to return home, our entire family tested positive for Covid-19 too! More healthy delays. So, while searching for a newer car, I stumbled onto an ultra rare '97 30th Anniversary Cougar with relatively low miles. We had owned one years before and our family loved her. March 20th, 2023 this car was registered. My family thought finally something's gone right. Then July 1st an irresopnsible jackass in an Accord did an illegal right lane pass, violated a right turn lane, ran a red light and traveling near 70mph went out of his way to hit and total our car! We owned that car for exactly 101 days... A day after the accident, which thankfully neither my son nor I were hurt in, the clutch on our remaining 99 Toyota failed. So I caught a taxi to get a rental car. Now we finally have a decent 2013 Avalon and life is sort of returning to normal. I can finally focus on getting the article done. Which I will definitely do, giving full equal coverage to both builds.. 

Rich, im certainly glad this story is getting back to normality. what is clear is that you are excellent story teller and writer, among other things for sure. Im very much looking forward to the article ..and pleased to hear from you indeed. all best in 2024 V.