Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

3 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks Rich, rail was not finished yet...

Its Been smoothered since than...

Exactly Rob i found this  scale k st about perfect fór me. I Can xhoose what 

To detail and what not. Although my nameboard IS little outward facing. Will see...

IMG_20210827_150636.jpg

IMG_20210827_150259.jpg

Vladimir nicely done! Isn't that a unique feature of Glory? It was a pleasant surprise to literally stumble on that neat little detail. I think you've captured it just about perfectly.

2 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks Rob, yeah Im finishing outer Works ahead of painting inner side white blue and outer to be oil dyed black with dye. IT should come by monday.  Im looking fwd to IT but first i have to try Sample and repair some damaged parts of moldings. Than i Will stand her on temporary stand so She wont nové or damage anymore...i see youre going with masts now interesting. I thought houses first..

.:) Good luck 

her. :) I had to sand a bit from them ( nameboards) to fit between moldings though...

I plan the mast out....but will not add them until the deck is furnished out first.  Houses and all.    I had originally intended to fully build my version.  Masts, rigging...the who ball of wax......😁

Are you using the same dye method you used on your CS build......or are you trying something different?  Will you be adding the chain plates and deadeyes as well....or just the channels?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

I plan the mast out....but will not add them until the deck is furnished out first.  Houses and all.    I had originally intended to fully build my version.  Masts, rigging...the who ball of wax......😁

Are you using the same dye method you used on your CS build......or are you trying something different?  Will you be adding the chain plates and deadeyes as well....or just the channels?

Rob

Completely different Rob. I plan to use Fiebings oil dye. not alcohol based one. i never used it before but seen guy staining electric guitar baswood and few model boats and i fell in love with it. i will try a sample first on shellac primer.... so no painting. i will paint dilluted acrylics white on inner white though. ses i plan to put chain plates and deadeyes as i have spare small onefrom cutty sark. so far im using all wood i have at home not buying nothing but i will have to buy probably mooring pipe covers of proper size....i think even if not masted i plan to assemble masts to some height...i think deadyes would look ok. i think how to do deck first :) with houses :) V. 

2 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

I sealed boatv with shellac Prior painting so that grain Will not rise anymore. I changed All damaged moldings before, and polished ship details overall. Now only to tape water level line..thanks for watching. 

IMG_20210828_162302.jpg

IMG_20210828_165239.jpg

IMG_20210828_165206.jpg

IMG_20210828_164613.jpg

IMG_20210828_164538.jpg

IMG_20210828_162518.jpg

IMG_20210828_164517.jpg

IMG_20210828_164513.jpg

IMG_20210828_164444.jpg

IMG_20210828_163027.jpg

IMG_20210828_163014.jpg

IMG_20210828_162614.jpg

IMG_20210828_162509.jpg

IMG_20210828_162410.jpg

IMG_20210828_162441.jpg

IMG_20210828_162450.jpg

Beautiful,  just beautiful.  

Is this the final color you’re settling on?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

14 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

Beautiful,  just beautiful.  

Is this the final color you’re settling on?

Rob

Rob thanks for flattering comment-  oh no its only primer undercoat. Having built boat to perfection i would have prefered natural color like that but you can see the spots etc...she will go proper black and white with sheathing below. i already found out how to make deck so i will prepare that. like a train ! :) ma family told they never saw me to care so much for anything when moving or replacong her...:D they obviously only guess how much hard work is behind it...:)) still waiting for navalhood pieces...next update hopefully blue waterays next week. good weeekend everyone. one thing i struggle to find is mooring chockes or pipes...not sure how to sort it out. 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

Vladimir, I love how these images of your model reflect scenes of the real vessel. Each time I see these uncanny resemblances it reinforces that we really got our homework done with a very high degree of accuracy. Well done, Vlad!

20210828_122149.jpg

IMG_20210828_164538.jpg.712576718a51792b2761848fbffc62d3.jpg

20210330_080655.jpg

Edited by ClipperFan
additional information

After tiny shellac coat i ran each grove and All surfaces  again with 400 -600 grit paper as shellac conserved Also some fuzzy edges coarses, precisely what i wanted to get rid off...

As you Can see  now Massive difference IS visible  comparing to bare Wood before shellac. 

Now someone tells modeling IS easy. My gosh...

Screenshot_2021-08-29-11-39-06-298_com.miui.gallery.jpg

IMG_20210829_113702.jpg

IMG_20210829_113628.jpg

IMG_20210829_113637.jpg

IMG_20210829_113621.jpg

IMG_20210829_113556.jpg

IMG_20210829_113543.jpg

IMG_20210829_113317.jpg

IMG_20210829_113518.jpg

Gentlemen 

i found this in inner color description. 

" and inside she is pearl color relieved with white, except the outlines of the bulwark stanchions !!! which are bright and varnished. " 

i suppose those are poop stanchions not deck ones....what do you think? 

in tat case i could leave poop stanhions natural although those are dark brown not bright...sigh...

hovewer i will try to mix some pearl with white. although we know 10 subtle shades of pearl e.g. beige or gray or pinky  and everything between being rather metallic... body and overtones... so i will mix white and a tiny bit silky silver and silky beige to see if i can manage some nice shade. will post. 

v. 

add

7 minutes ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Gentlemen 

i found this in inner color description. 

" and inside she is pearl color relieved with white, except the outlines of the bulwark stanchions !!! which are bright and varnished. " 

i suppose those are poop stanchions not deck ones....what do you think? 

in tat case i could leave poop stanhions natural although those are dark brown not bright...sigh...

hovewer i will try to mix some pearl with white. although we know 10 subtle shades of pearl e.g. beige or gray or pinky  and everything between being rather metallic... body and overtones... so i will mix white and a tiny bit silky silver and silky beige to see if i can manage some nice shade. will post. 

v. 

Vladimir, in nautical terms "brightwork" literally means naturally finished wood. Of course, it would actually be varnished too, in order to protect it against the elements. My guess is it would most likely be mahogany too. Since MacLean didn't distinguish between poop deck or rear house surrounding turned rails, I'd suspect all rails were left natural varnished. From my favorite painting by Samuel Walters the top of the rear house railing is white while the turned rails are brown. What's even more confusing is the ship's actual appearance from her 1869 fitting out in East Boston it looks like all turned rails including poop rails and rear house all seem to be painted white, since you can see the contrasting light shade versus the men standing behind them. Since that's clear photographic evidence I would go with that. MacLean's descriptions, I suspect were given to him by the Shipyard and the photos apparently don't match. 

58 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, in nautical terms "brightwork" literally means naturally finished wood. Of course, it would actually be varnished too, in order to protect it against the elements. My guess is it would most likely be mahogany too. Since MacLean didn't distinguish between poop deck or rear house surrounding turned rails, I'd suspect all rails were left natural varnished. From my favorite painting by Samuel Walters the top of the rear house railing is white while the turned rails are brown. What's even more confusing is the ship's actual appearance from her 1869 fitting out in East Boston it looks like all turned rails including poop rails and rear house all seem to be painted white, since you can see the contrasting light shade versus the men standing behind them. Since that's clear photographic evidence I would go with that. MacLean's descriptions, I suspect were given to him by the Shipyard and the photos apparently don't match. 

Thanks a lot Rich, but..you mean also frames extentions being left natural along all boat or we talk only turned stanchions? :) 

i  tend to leave poop stanchions batural as they are beautifuly made. i would have ruined them even painting white. i will try to paint cover white - how that woudl look. 

add

6 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir a while ago I was curious as to exactly what "pearl" color would have looked like in the 1850s & 60s. A Google search for that era pearl resulted in this shade which I think is a good match.

20210508_044739.jpg

yes i suspected that kind of ivory. will go for that kind of dubtle shade and i will post samples prior painting a i dont want to face comments like - go again Vlad :D

1 minute ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks a lot Rich, but..you mean also frames extentions being left natural along all boat or we talk only turned stanchions? :) 

Vladimir, frames or futtocks would have been painted white (relieved with white) to me the pearl shade would be all the flat surfaces not including blue waterways.

1 hour ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, frames or futtocks would have been painted white (relieved with white) to me the pearl shade would be all the flat surfaces not including blue waterways.

huh im starting to loose ground im clearly not educated in nautical "terminology of this sort" what relieve means etc.... glad to have you folks. so that means that futtocks are white not pearl? started to be a bit colorful than. pla nks behind frames pearl columns white interesting. im thankful and i would rather ask before. 

is stanchion white and surrounding pearl? thank you. aV. sorry if i got you wrong. or did you mean inner futtocks and these are nto extensions but stanchions inserted in ? 

BC4F9A3B-5542-40C7-BCC4-84B768E9BE5B.jpeg

4 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

I originally painted my bulwarks a similar pearl color and highlighted with white.  The end result was IMV not very flattering.  It could be the “pearl” I used was too dark.  

So I opted to go with a pearl that I imagined to be more of a aesthetic pearl, which is slightly bluefish in shade, Kinda opaque, then I highlighted in white and with blue waterways. 

I hope you can figure out a combination that works for you. 

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Vladimir, frames ARE futtocks, there's no difference. To keep it simple, raised surfaces, ie inner moldings and frames are white, recessed panels on the ship's sides (bulwarks) & houses are pearl. Incidentally "pearl" is not grey nor buff as some Ships had grey (or gray) & buff interiors and are described as such. If you look up "mother of pearl" you'll get a better idea of pearl. To me it's kind of an elegant mixture of very light pinkish tan. The color blue Rob has for the waterways would go well with that, almost a wedgewood blue but a little darker. I'd play around with some shades to see how it looks before painting your model.

Edited by ClipperFan
additional information

9 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, one last sample, Rust-o-Leum pale white pearl. You can see they all tend towards a white with hazel & a hint of pink undertones.

pearl-white-rust-oleum-automotive-car-paint-352721-64_600.jpg

I think this product is what I’ll paint the houses with, prior to white highlights.   

Thanks Rich

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

28 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

I think this product is what I’ll paint the houses with, prior to white highlights.   

Thanks Rich

Rob

Rob, always there to help! Actually these "pearls" are very restful shades. On another matter, does anyone know if there's a way to upload Adobe pdf files? My 1:96 scale ship's lines of Glory are done. Staples scanned them & emailed me a copy but it's on a pdf file. They made print outs. That's when I realized I mistakenly put the date as 8/20/28. Since then I've corrected it to 8/28/21 but it has to be rescanned to get that corrected date. 

Rob, Rich, 

did i get it right? :) 

if not dont bother with me anymore looks like there is one person quite dump ! 

blue - white ( i typo ***** but corrected :D) ! except waterways very below that blue of course 

red- pearl 

by the way i ordered beautiful deck from friend from czech republic who gave me 60 percent discount ! who does this in this times ? :)) i will post a hint! 

BE26F9FA-76CE-4941-9DDB-E62CD6B7DD2B.jpeg

i like what Crothers weites abot colors... interesting read...

some excrepts: MacLean describing flying fish remarked that "her hull is balck outside...a color peculiar to clippers and the clergy"....

...first, to state it in oversimplified fashion, balck is black. This is very true until one black is compared side by side with another, in some cases difference almost amounts to two different colors. in paints of the period, lampblack was standart pigment used in the mixing of black paint. very consistent deep one value hue. . 

another advantage was that no mixing of pigments was required to achieve desired value. ...

..."combine one pound lamp black mixed for paint, one pound red lead, one gallon paint oil, half poznd litharge, and half an ounce of indigo boiled for half an hour, and stirred at intervals. Care should be taken that the composition boils that length of time. after it has cooled a little, add one pint of spirits of turpentine; apply when warm, and it will dry in a short time with a beautiful gloss and be perfectly limber...

black of itself is not a color to excite ones interest...however its aplication to the hull of a clipper ship resulted in grand silhouette when viewed against a backdrop of sea or sky. Capt Clark made a point commenting on the stately beauty of the American clipper fleet as it lay at anchor in the harbor of Hong Kong during the autumn of 1858. 

oh my, i wish i could travel back in time...! 

add

4 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

This IS what IT looks like ..

IMG_20210830_091904.jpg

Vlad...is that printed on the wood?  the caulking seams and treenails are extremely neat and clean...for sucha grainy wood?

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

7 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Rob, Rich, 

did i get it right? :) 

if not dont bother with me anymore looks like there is one person quite dump ! 

blue - white ( i typo ***** but corrected :D) ! except waterways very below that blue of course 

red- pearl 

by the way i ordered beautiful deck from friend from czech republic who gave me 60 percent discount ! who does this in this times ? :)) i will post a hint! 

BE26F9FA-76CE-4941-9DDB-E62CD6B7DD2B.jpeg

Vladimir, what you've illustrated would be correct, as far as I can tell. All flat surfaces would have been pearl and all raised ones would have been white. There had to be enough of a difference in contrast to justify the added investment. Donald McKay's Clippers and even his Packets were all renowned for their top of the line quality, both of craftsmanship and ship's fittings. After all, Donald McKay was the main American contributor to the British James Baines Line, supplying 4 principal vessels to his franchise. 

Before British Regulars embarked to India to suppress a revolt, Queen Victoria paid a Royal visit to the vessels "James Baines" and "Champion of the Seas." She's known to have marveled that the British Empire had such magnificent vessels.