Just getting started

Hi all,

I am looking to get started as I am newly retired and had always wanted to try my hand in wood modeling. A couple questions to help me get started: 

How much work space should I allow myself?

What type or brand of tools is good for a beginner?

What models/brands should I consider that can give me satisfaction without overwhelming me?

Any advice for this novice will be greatly appreciated.

Current Build: Armed Longboat 
Current Build: Continental Navy Frigate Alfred - On Hold until a improve my skills
Completed Build: Norwegian Sailing Pram
Completed Build: Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Welcome to MSW.    You might start by reading this:   https://modelshipworld.com/topic/13703-for-beginners-a-cautionary-tale/.   Lots of good info in there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Retiredpm and welcome to Model Ship World.  Mark has given you good advice.  If you are completely new to wooden ship model building, you may want to consider a beginner kit such as the Lowell Grand Banks Dory from Model Shipways.  You can even get this kit with all of the tool and supplies that you will need to build this model.  Here is a link to their website for this kit: https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Lowell-Grand-Banks-Dory-with-Tools-124-Scale-Skill-Level-I-of-the-Shipwright-Learning-Series_p_3959.html

You can go to the Model Expo website and sign up for emails that will give you codes to receive the kits at a savings over the advertised price.

Good luck on whatever kit you should start.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hello retiredpm and welcome to MSW from the UK. Lots of good advice here, it might be a good idea to say where you are (just which country 😁) so members can point you to appropriate suppliers etc.

Beware! People like me will suggest you buy every tool available and then make a few more! I think once you decide which kit feels like a good fit for you the subject of tools will begin to come into focus.

It's always a good idea to browse through the build logs and see what appeals to you. Above all, enjoy the ride.

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me