Hello I just picked u a billings smit rotterdam kit second hand. The frame is built and stern deck installed. I'm wondering how to seal the grain to get a smooth surface. I'm going to be sealing and painting parts as I build as I imagine painting some areas will be difficult when complete. 

The kit came with a tin of humbrol sanding sealer but this is very thick. Can I thin it? (What with?) would varnish be better or any kind of spray wood sealer/primer? 

Also the rear deck has been painted without sealer. Can I seal over this to repaint? 

Edited by Riotvan88

Seal with shellac, then fill in grain with surfacing putty, sand fair, prime with a base coat and apply finish coats. Surfacing putty thins with acetone. Add a tablespoon of acetone to the can after each use, close the lid and store upside down. The putty will stay creamy for ages that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Interlux-Y257-PT-Surfacing-Putty/dp/B0000AY85D

You have provided to geographic location, but if there is access, the poor quality wood can be overlaid with a thin veneer of a species of wood with no pores and a grain that does not clash with the scale of the model.  The only tools needed are a quality knife that is sharp and a steel straight edge.   Then no filling will be necessary.  All that will be needed is a shellac primer (50% strength) and a finish clear coat.  The depth and gloss level is controlled by how many coats of shellac are used and if the final coat is dressed with a very fine abrasive- Scotch Brite.  A veneer of an Acer sp. should provide a proper deck color and scale appropriate grain, hardness, and closed grain surface.

It is much better to use a saw produced veneer.  A roller sliced veneer does not lose much to kerf, but the grain pattern is not a natural one.  The wood wants to curl if allowed.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers