3d printing process

For those of you (like me) who use the free 2017 version of SketchUp (the last one that let you do all the work on your computer, not online through them), they have disabled the Extension Warehouse feature, due to "Security Concerns".  This even though 90% of the offered extensions still worked with that version.

I'll have to back up my operating system onto another drive in case mine dies, My files are far to large to do them over the net, even if I wanted to allow SketchUp, or someone hacking them, access to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a couple years I finally finished mostly) the 3D body for my Santa Fe Superintendent’s Car! The drafting would not have taken so long, but I kept finding better references, to correct detail mistakes in the original drawing I used. The drawing was well done, but was hand drafted by a modeler over 50 years ago, and the hundreds of rivets laid out on it were not always correctly placed. Also many details were not clear, without the photographs I found from various internet sources. Next will be the underframe, roof, and interior. For now I have a donor car for the underframe and roof to make a mockup.

Here are a few views of the CAD file.

First a perspective view from the front of the car. Note that the front wall/vestibule is and angled surface, making placing the rivets interesting. The window glass is filled in here as support during printing. I am rethinking the way that the final window glass/ frames will be designed. They may be a separate assembly that pushes in from the rear.

Super400_270FiremansandEngineersSideswObsEndWall_104ForGraphics_001180degrotation.thumb.jpg.440f07b76bdf1fb46d17e5013ca4dea9.jpg

Next is a similar view from the back of the car. If you look closely, you will notice that it has a main door and a screen door. The main door is a separate piece, and will not be printed in place, as shown here. This lets me install both the main door windows and the screening on the screen door. This wall is set into groves in the side walls to locate it.

Super400_270FiremansandEngineersSideswObsEndWall_104ForGraphics_001a.thumb.jpg.8a9a78e14cdd57c8a11426cb867ab54a.jpg

Next is a view of the observation end of the car. There will be an observation platform/porch floor, designed into the underframe. The roof line shown will likely change after the prototype roof is drafted. The roof line shown on the wall marches the interior lines of the donor car.

Super400_270FiremansandEngineersSideswObsEndWall_104ForGraphics_001B.thumb.jpg.438d798e58e559785bc9e30bc25b579f.jpg

This is the front/vestibule wall. This wall fits into matching ledges in the side walls. You can see the inside observation main door at the other end of the car. The inside of the observation wall also has the interior trim.

Super400_270FiremansandEngineersSideswObsEndWall_104ForGraphics_001c.thumb.jpg.719aae49fc97fce7c9864cc4fc8a8f5a.jpg

This is a top view of the body. You can see the angling of the outside of the vestibule wall, as well as the locating ledges between the four walls.

Super400_270FiremansandEngineersSideswObsEndWall_104ForGraphics_001d.thumb.jpg.aaeea728f70d1c16f1f77e2d10ce1f27.jpg

I also redesigned the tender oil bunker I drew several years ago. Most of it was correct, but when I placed the rivets I spaced them too closely. I used 1 1/2 inch spacing as I had to guess, having found no info on this. I found out late last year it should have been 3” spacing. I bought reprints of 10 years of the old “Santa Fe Modeler” magazines, and found the new (too me) information in them.

OilBunkerInsert2_8_0Final_130.thumb.jpg.766f0e857655feb5db07732d17bfa346.jpg

I’ve gotten a 3D print of this latest version from Shapeways and will be fitting it to my 2-8-0 tender in the next week, or so. I was planning on 3D printing it at home, but I still haven’t got the supports right, it keeps distorting during printing. Once I verify the fit, I’ll offer it through Shapeways, as it will be more readily available to the public.

The next Oil Bunker project is to convert a Bachmann 2-10-0’s tender to oil. This is much more of a SWAG, as there are only a handful of under exposed photos of these. Santa Fe acquired the locomotives from a smaller railroad it purchased, and did not use them for very long. They were too small for most of their operations, and in poor repair. Hence the lack of pictures.

The old 2-10-0 bunker is on the left, and the new 2-8-0 version on the right. You can see the difference between the old and new rivet spacing.

OilBunkerInsertSlopedFrount2_10_0_003.thumb.jpg.477c085eeae9f2b0f9e1b8a235829671.jpg

Yes. SketchUp 2017. For future projects, I may have to switch to another software package, as I recently found out that I can no longer install addons (extensions) due to security concerns and lack of available ones that work with my version! Even though in December, most of them were compatible and were offered by 3rd party vendors!

I spent the last few days drafting the frame for the Superintendent’s Car. The frame is finished as far as the major assemblies. I’ll add the various levers, equipment boxes, tanks, etc. as separate pieces, and as I get more information on items like the brake system. The pictures of the frame show two strap assemblies. These also are separate parts, and will be printed as such. I had to draw them in place, though, to get the proper angles, so I’m showing them as if installed. I still have to place the blocks for mounting the couplers, but will do that after I’ve printed and assembled a car. I have a set of the correct type trucks for another car, so I can make the proper measurements using them.

I initially drew the frame members overlong, and the floor overlong and too wide. Then I placed the frame in place under the sides and ends, and marked the areas that needed to be cut. This saved a lot of detailed measuring, and gives me a perfect fit.

This is the frame from the side, with the straps.

Frame_075tempB.thumb.jpg.00c17227b0571cb98498651642fc1b00.jpg

And two others showing some close-up details. Lots of rivets.

Frame_075tempC.thumb.jpg.950131c0a19862cf5f6f4ba4a01c5c18.jpg

Frame_075.thumb.jpg.401724b51e0d9ad6801233b13522a283.jpg

This picture shows the frame in place, with a close-up of the observation platform. The various bosses at the end of the platform are mounts for the railings. This platform area sits a few inches lower than the interior floor.

Super400_270FiremansandEngineersSideswObsEndandVestibuleWallsandFrame_008.thumb.jpg.fa4bedd807d9803679a7d34352731216.jpg

The last picture shows the assembly from the underside.

Super400_270FiremansandEngineersSideswObsEndandVestibuleWallsandFrame_008B.thumb.jpg.ac0bda197edf2c33952dc6be6e6f557e.jpg

I volunteered to draft some of the cannons for the NRG Cannon project, and will turn my efforts to them for a while, then start on the complex roof for this car, and any other Pullman Heavyweight passenger cars I may tackle in the future.

Hi... I've taken the plunge today and pressed the purchase button on below. In terms of software will be Inkscape and blender before taking it to a slicer... hoping my software skills will improve alot as I plan to 3d print all the decorations for the 1720 royal navy ship, ships windows etc, figure heads that sort of thing. Exciting but also quite daunting 

Screenshot_20230307_112721_Gmail.jpg

22 hours ago, Srenner said:

Hi... I've taken the plunge today and pressed the purchase button on below. In terms of software will be Inkscape and blender before taking it to a slicer... hoping my software skills will improve alot as I plan to 3d print all the decorations for the 1720 royal navy ship, ships windows etc, figure heads that sort of thing. Exciting but also quite daunting 

Great choice in both hardware and software. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been CADing several early 17th century British cannons for a project, and I just finished printing out the first test set of the 6 and 9 pounders (long and short barrel) in 1/24th scale. It took almost 24 hours at 35um layer heights, but the files checked out! Presently the 18 and 24 pounders are printing. I will have to reprint the first set, as I did not have the supports all correctly set up, but the cannons printed OK, so the original STL files are good. I just need to add a few more supports for the final printed set. These prints are for my use, to go on display along with my 1/24th Model Expo Naval Cannon displays. The barrels and cypher emblem came out well, but the trunions are warped. I also have to figure a way to better clean the bore and touch hole out as some resin was still in them, and caused blemishes when I cured them. That is the great thing about resin printers, I can just make another set.

The lighting is poor on the picture, as I had to go with ambient lighting. The flash washed out all the detailing, at such a close distance. The longest cannon is a little less than 5" long, in this scale.

BrownPattern6and9PoundersLongandShort_001.thumb.JPG.838e12a40151efdc9a780d351b7968ee.JPG