USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

Oh, one other thing. Pardon my lack of the slang from Oz, is "chuffed" good or bad? Thats a new one for me. I actually have a Slang from down under book that a friend from QLD sent me, but I have no clue where I shelved it ATM.

Mad,

"Chuffed" is a good thing. I have no idea where the word came from, but it means that I am pleased with how they look.

:dancetl6:

As for the whole OCD thing, well, I think this will be the reason Connie is going to take me a looong time.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

One last post before the weekly rat-race recommences ...

The latter part of Sunday saw ALL benches on both the Captain's gig and the pinnace removed.

Note in previous pics the white keelson piece running down the middle of both these boats ...

Some work with the engraving tool w/ wire attachment ensued to cut the white paint away.

Then a little walnut stain ... let it dry ... a touch up with the wire brush again.

Voila!! Annoying white strip becomes a matching floor plank.

Benches were then trimmed of old glue and re-fitted. Minor accidents saw two of the red styrene cap-pieces being lost, thus necessitating a whole new re-paint/dry cycle for a single, tiny 1cm strip.

But they are done now ... and, yeah, I'm chuffed (again) !!

As for the twin whale-boats, work has begun on two brass-rod foot-rests ...

(Pics pending)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

The new "swan-boats" !!!

post-675-0-72383800-1368444658_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-52856600-1368444699_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-21675500-1368444726_thumb.jpg

The sketch at back of the boats is a rough draft for the brass-rod foot-rests which are next on my agenda.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Details, details, details, those little boats are really full of them. Have fun :)

Seriously, Geoff, it really took your pics to help me start to envision these boats.

From my original intention to copy yours, they seem to be growing into ever-evolving monsters that just demand more and more detail.

All I can say is, Arrrrrrrrrrrr !!!  

:piratetongueor4:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Building the foot-rests proved to be a whole lot fiddlier than I'd imagined.

As they all had to be the same, I started by pinning four pieces of card together to make replica templates. These were cut-out and glued to a spare strip of walnut veneer (the kind used commonly for the outer layer in double-planked kits).

Partly because the trimmed step-supports weren't thick enough, but mostly because my wood-stain would not adhere to the playing cards I use for templates, I elected to glue another strip of veneer to the backs.

These were trimmed up again and then drilled with my hand-powered drill using the smallest bit (approx 0.25mm).

Drill through to the card layer (middle).

Oh, and remember to have holes drilled on matching sides (ie port/starboard) of each pair.

post-675-0-24682400-1368961589_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-69808600-1368961650_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-53664300-1368961677_thumb.jpg

Cutting the brass rods to exact equal lengths was easier. All six had to be precisely 6mm.

Using a steel ruler with markings to the very edge and a set of large toe-nail clippers (the straight-edged ones), just clip as required. Care needs to be taken as to where they end up.

Arrr !!!

post-675-0-75789000-1369051792_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-21841500-1369051887_thumb.jpg

Then the fun part begins. The step-supports are 8mm x 4mm, with three 0.25mm holes drilled. Add three 6mm brass rods into the mix.

Noting that PVA won't work with brass, I originally tried to slot the brass-rods into one piece and then fit the opposing step-support piece onto the protruding (unglued) rods. 

After having the whole thing fall apart numerous times before I could get it positioned in the whale-boat, I elected to use CA glue to fix the rods into one step-support. This worked a whole lot easier (Hmm ... mebbe I could've tried that in the first place).

The only problem remaining was that my holes were not perfectly aligned. To avoid this, I imagine I could drill the holes directly thru both side pieces  

For now, one step-support is fitted, with one to be reconstructed.

post-675-0-77408900-1368961706_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-02799200-1368961730_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just a quick post-weekend note to say that MrCritic dropped by today.

A lengthy debate ensued between he and I (which may or may not have involved razor knives). The end result being that the middle benches of each whale-boat have been removed.

To replace them, will be what I currently refer to as "trundle-posts" ??

Please, someone, what are those octagonal posts positioned amid-ships called ??

They are tapered towards the ends, and had holes for long rods which, I assume, allowed for additional force to be applied in rotating them.

I imagine their purpose was for hauling in harpoon/anchor lines ??

Also, one brass-rod step failed to pass inspection and has been removed.

A reconstruction is looking doubful, so a complete rebuild may be necessary.

(The other passed inspection. But only because you would need to look from an impossible angle to spot the minor mis-alignment.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I must confess (yet again) that minimal progress was achieved this past week.

The dodgy foot-rest was replaced and there were some attempts at making a pair of the trundles/winches. 

Work continues there ...

This morning saw sets of belaying racks (tholes?) made up for the life-boats.

post-675-0-41055500-1369574832_thumb.jpg post-675-0-53520600-1369574884_thumb.jpg

All they are is a strip of scrap wood. A centre line was marked along its' length, and holes were marked and drilled. The strip was then cut into individual pin-racks, the forward corners rounded and the racks stained.

Here's how they look after being installed ...

post-675-0-72841300-1369575840_thumb.jpg

I had made two for each boat, but lack of space prevented any going into the Captain's Gig. Later on, when I get to the "furniture" stage, there will probably be some rope coils hanging from some of the pins.

Next up, cleats and lift-fittings ... and re-working the trundles.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Steve

I think you might be a little confused on the boats. I don't think there are any belaying pin racks in the boats. The tholes? are for for the oars and are mounted on the cap rails. Here are two pictures that might explain it better for you

post-747-0-06134700-1369579385.jpg

post-747-0-60154100-1369579423_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Thanks for the info, Geoff. I'll go back and have another look at the plans.

It really isn't a big deal to change them out at all ... I've been doing that all along, anyways.

:piratetongueor4:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I am seriously thinking of changing the name of this build log to " How NOT to build the USS Constitution".

After the heads up (Thanks, Geoff), I was re-reading the plans and discovered that not only were there no belaying pins to be installed, BUT that I had completely missed a crucial step; I had forgotten all about the lift-fittings and (on the pinnace), sling eye-bolts. 

Whilst the pinnace was relatively easy to fix, surgery has been rescheduled for the other three, as the benches and foot-boards etc which had already been installed were now in the way of where these fittings needed to go. 

So, whilst I could've disappeared for a few weeks while correcting my error, I thought it best to let this be a heads-up to others (Helmsman) who are yet to do this stage.

post-675-0-94712400-1370182937_thumb.jpg

Here, the Captain's Gig is in the process of being stripped of benches etc ...

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

In this pic, the eye-bolts for slings and davit lifts have been installed.

They are quite movable. Each ring is held in place with a small piece of wire (I used the twist-ties from standard freezer bags - just strip off the plastic) doubled over around the ring and twisted together. The ends were trimmed to a couple of millimetres and inserted into small holes drilled where necessary and fixed with CA glue.

One small step forward - the pinnace now has brass-rod foot-rests for the oarsmen and helmsman. No pics were taken during the construction of these, but I started with a strip 2mm x 2mm and then drilled a single hole down the middle with a 0.25mm bit. Round the top edges off and then slice the strip of wood with a razor saw to create identical ends for each foot-rest rod.

post-675-0-78216600-1370183076_thumb.jpg

Lots more work to be done. It's a good thing we have a holiday weekend here.

More pics when I'm back on track.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Your boats are turning out really well. You could almost do a separate log for the boats. They are a lot of work!

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Harv,

That sounds like a brilliant idea.

My only problem with it is I am wondering how that would look with a fully-rigged boat mounted onto the main ship. 

I suppose that it might be possible to create a diorama with one of the boats out front of Conny ... almost as if it were engaged in a kedging manoeuvre, similiar to how Capt Hull was able to avoid a potentially fatal early encounter with HMS Guerriere prior to her famous battle just a month later.

It would, admittedly, make a striking (and historically accurate) display !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 3 weeks later...

Arrrr !!!

After opting to re-do my boats and stripping out most of the work done so far, progress was slowed when Life invaded my ship-building for a while.

I still have the whale-boats to do, but I do prefer this version of the "swan boats".

Firstly, the Captain's gig ...

This can now be suspended by hooks from the davits attached fore and aft to the lift fittings.

And now, the new and improved pinnace ...

Although not a part of the plans, these two boats now have little cabinets to house these fittings. I chose to add a "lived-in" touch with the covers left askew (they are actually fixed in position).

I took a couple of pics whilst building the last of these ...

post-675-0-88044100-1395144123_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-99362600-1395144138_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-30037700-1395144151_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-08475600-1395144167_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-02585500-1395144189_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-45991600-1395144210_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-27046300-1395144228_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-50278700-1395144244_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Too true, Geoff.

I've actually skipped a couple of things ...

For instance, I didn't bother with the thwart stanchions beneath the benches.

Also, there aren't any knees for the benches. However, I am currently working on the fore and aft knees. 

Still to come are cap-rails - still scratching my head about how to make those ?!?!?

And even though there is nothing on the plans or box picture, I'd really like to add a looped mooring rope along the sides of each of the four boats.

Also, I noticed in the pinnace detail that there is a metal band on the stem .... I'm guessing this is like a reinforcing plate ??

I saw something like it in pics of Chuck's pinnace build.

That can wait until I'm ready to do the rudders and furniture.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to steal a few hours to spend at the shipwright's table.

It's been getting harder and harder to do so lately.

Arrr!!!

Some minor work to the pinnace, firstly, with the installation of a front plate and knees ....

post-675-0-25964500-1395144318_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-54869300-1395144333_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-20940600-1395144352_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Mostly, however, I have spent a great deal of time trying to make the whale-boats look the way I have envisioned.

Sorry, Geoff, I know it's another detour from the plans ... but I'm hoping everyone will like them.

As mentioned earlier, one idea was to replace one of the benches with a trundle-winch.

I'm still going to run with this ...

Another idea I have been toying with is a different style of stern cabinet for the lift-fittings on these two boats.

The idea is in a vein similiar to what I've done with the Gig and pinnace ... but the aim is for them to have a different look to the swan-boats.

A good deal of tonight's time has been spent making, shaping, fitting, trimming, re-making and re-re-making templates for these stern plates.

So far, one has been fitted to my satisfaction ...

I soaked a thin strip of wood and then wrapped it around an Exacto handle, clamping in place for the night. These curved bits are then used to form the interior shape for the hatchways.

My idea is to build a semi-circular hatch to sit on top. Rather than a brass grating, as per the swan-boats, I'm hoping to have slats made from a lighter wood. The hatches will be attached with hinges made from wet-n-dry sandpaper.

More pics as it all comes together ...

post-675-0-06648700-1395144411_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-22276400-1395144426_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Foot-bars ready to be installed.

post-675-0-88758800-1395144471_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

post-675-0-20961500-1374283160_thumb.jpg

Last night saw the installation of the benches and foot-bars for the two whale-boats. One bench has been removed from each to allow for the trundle-winches.

In the foreground, some beads which I found whilst out and about for work during the week. They will need some trimming and shaping but should make for passable winches.

Next up, the half-moon hatches ...

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks Geoff.

Coming from someone who produces the sort of work you do, that is a MASSIVE compliment.

B)

I guess I've always indulged in a few little touch-ups with my previous two kits - f'rinstance by using coils of rope to cover-up "whoopsies".

But the workmanship and ideas that I've seen on MSW have inspired me to try a few things out.

Seeing you have brought up the kit-bashing thing, I found some of the early Corne pics recently ... 

As Michel Felice Corne, from my limited research, is considered to be a fairly definitive source, and unless someone can point me towards other information, I guess this means I will need to reconsider the stern build for my Connie when I eventually get to this stage.

post-675-0-60095100-1395144556_thumb.png

post-675-0-86672000-1395144565_thumb.png

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

An early morning (2am) start at the Shipwright's table ...

For the half-moon hatches, I had soaked short lengths of veneer for an hour or so. These were then shaped around the ends of a paint-brush and clamped into position.

Here's some I prepared earlier ...

The slats are short pieces of the same veneer used above for the curves. The base pieces have been grooved using a razor-saw to hold the curved parts. At this point, the hatches are quite thick (2mm), but I intend to sand them thinner once dried.

And here they are sanded thin, fitted (and fixed) into place ...

To highlight the design differences between the whale-boats and the two swan-boats, I wanted to give these hatches something unique. Thin slices of wet-n-dry sandpaper were used to fashion "hinges" (there's one on the tip of my needle-nose tweezers).

Hinges fitted, a quick coat of matt varnish, and it's bed-time for me ...

(Despite the camera angle, the two hatches do actually fit quite neatly into their respective openings)

Next up, trundle-winches ...

post-675-0-37633900-1395144657_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-93213300-1395144673_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-77181900-1395144689_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-22593900-1395144707_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-15891900-1395144721_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-73051300-1395144735_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Arrr ...

Tonight, ship-mates, CaptainSteve is sad.

Also, just a touch angry ... but mostly sad.

Today, upon arriving home from work, I learned that the house where I am staying had been burgled.

This, however, was not an ordinary robbery. The circumstances strongly indicate this was a targeted crime.

Very minimal damage was done, and only a small number of items of sentimental value appear to have been stolen from other occupants.

However, of only two of my own possessions taken, among those I quickly discovered, was a single, half-built, whale-boat!! 

:(

Hence, tonight CaptainSteve is sad.

Arrr ...

:(

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)