USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

Steve,

I'm just now catching up.. great job!!!

Thanks for dropping in, Mark.

Incidentally, I hear there will be a v2 of your Licorne build ...

Thoroughly looking forward to that !!

I noticed also someone suggested turning v1 into a Pirate Ship ...

Now THERE be a brilliant idea !!!

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Ah, but the time period is off quite a bit for pirates, me-hearty.   And indeed, V2.0 is in the planning stages.  I'll get this puppy right or take up consuming large quantities of rum.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ah, but the time period is off quite a bit for pirates, me-hearty.   And indeed, V2.0 is in the planning stages.  I'll get this puppy right or take up consuming large quantities of rum.

Arrr .. pirates be timeless, Mark !!

In fact, all ye need these days, apart from a cutlass, is a dozen or so DVD-burners and a solid internet connection.

At least, so I've been told ...

:10_1_10:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Australia Day has come and gone for another year.

Somehow, despite being a holiday weekend, I got less done than I'd hoped.

My only excuse - I guess SOMEONE had to drink all that beer !!

I'd been dreading the prospect of having to make holes thru the top of my rudders to fit the tiller arms. So that they wouldn't split apart, I clamped each into a bulldog clip when drilling.

I started with a 0.1mm guide hole, then drilled again at 0.3mm and then 0.5mm.

Incidentally, NOW would be a good time for me to mention that I DID actually check the angle where tiller-arm meets rudder BEFORE drilling.

A quick test fit - and I couldn't resist a photo or two ...

post-675-0-99276600-1390822797_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-84223000-1390822835_thumb.jpg

Anyone else notice how the white on boat and rudder is different ??

Apparently, I have two different tints of white paint on my desk...

Needless to say, the swan-boat keels had a re-paint and are now drying. 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Naturally, everything was going along a little TOO well ... disaster struck when one of the LASER-CUT whale-boat rudder parts broke in half ...

post-675-0-35510000-1390823940_thumb.jpg

Uncharacteristically for me, I wasn't really all that upset when it happened.

Y'see, just a few days before, I'd discovered another whale-boat builder here on MSW, Salty Sea Dog.

(Seriously, if you are building a small boat, you're gunna luv this guy !!!)

Salty, when I first saw the rudder on your CW Morgan whale-boat, I was jealous ...

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

... now, since breaking one of mine, I'm thinking that I'd really like to re-model !!!

Oh well, that will give me something to do next weekend ...

By the way, I've had a re-think on furniture. I've decided to fit rudders to both whale-boats and the Gig. I tried a quick test positioning with them placed onboard the boats today. For me at least, I just found them over-powering - even choosing to make new, more stream-lined whale-boat rudders.

Of course, this is mainly due to the over-sized tiller arms which are on mine.

So, now, the pinnace will be the only boat to have a stored keel.

This brings me to a question which was also part of the above decision: Precisely, HOW should this be stowed ???

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

What a great build log so far!

Sorry I can't help you with your question about how they should be stowed, but I can console you in not getting so much done over the weekend by reminding you it would have been VERY un-Australian not to drink the beer on Australia Day Weekend  :P

CaptainSteve,

Somewhere on my computer is a book on small boat (pinnace, gig, etc) handling, and I believe I saw something in there about rudder storage-but I can't find it yet. :huh:

I would think the best place to store the rudder is someplace on the floors near the stern of the boat. I know that's where we store the rudder on our small sailboats. But, they may have had other plans that made more sense under the circumstances.

Anyway, I'll look for that book some more in the next couple days.

I must say, your ship's boats are looking very nice!

Thanks,

Harvey

What a great build log so far!

... I can console you in not getting so much done over the weekend by reminding you it would have been VERY un-Australian not to drink the beer on Australia Day Weekend  :P

Thanks for lookin' in, Bindy.

I see your build is coming along nicely ... but, seriously, with all those people dropping in on you, shouldn't SOMEONE offer to buy pizzas ???

:piratebo5:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Somewhere on my computer is a book on small boat (pinnace, gig, etc) handling, and I believe I saw something in there about rudder storage-but I can't find it yet. :huh:

I would think the best place to store the rudder is someplace on the floors near the stern of the boat. I know that's where we store the rudder on our small sailboats. But, they may have had other plans that made more sense under the circumstances.

Anyway, I'll look for that book some more in the next couple days.

I must say, your ship's boats are looking very nice!

Thanks,

Harvey

Harv,

I'd really appreciate any info on this topic that you could post here !!

As a fellow-member of the FakeCaptainsClub, with no actual naval experience (as per Rule 1.00a), I am considering lashing the tiller-arm along the back of my rudder, and then "lazily" laying it on the rear bench, against the wall of the cabinet.

Kind of like this, with lashings to come ...

post-675-0-27533000-1390914808_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Another idea could be to do something similar, but hang it off the back stern of the pinnace (ie: instead of mounting vertically, it would be lashed horizontally).

Yes, that rudder DOES look kinda rough. Only one coat had been applied when I took this pic. Sanding down and a couple more coats of paint to follow.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

CaptainSteve,

If it were me (and I have no experience either, so anything is fine) I would lay the rudder flat on the seats. That way it can slide around (unless you lash it down) but not fall out. Also, I'd bring the tiller completely inside the hull. Anything to keep lines from snagging on the rudder and tiller.

Also, if you're going to add oars, mast and booms, you could lash the rudder and tiller down with them. They wouldn't be needed until the oars and spars are needed anyway.

Thanks,

Harvey

Boy, you guys take Australia Day serious with all that beer drinking.

I see you even take it out to sea.

post-246-0-75635900-1391196117.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I've been following your build. Looking super good so far. Your boats look very real. I'm hoping my own boats will be even close as good. :)

Markku

Current build:

MS - USS Constitution 1:76

Previous builds:

Corel - Flattie 1:25
AL - Mare Nostrum 1:35
Revell - Dom Fernando II e Gloria 1:200

Revell - USS Enterprise 1:720

Trumpeter - USS California 1:700

Another member of the Connie Club ...Welcome aboard, Markku.

I spent the wee hours shaping a pair of whale-boat keels. I actually prefer this time of day for ship-modelling and find I usually get more done from around 2am on Sunday mornings. No work ... chores done ... the house is quiet ... 

As mentioned earlier, I chose to re-model these keels. They are loosely based upon the one I saw in Salty Sea Dogs' build. Okay, sure, I have deviated - yet again - from the MS plans. It isn't the first time, and I'm fairly confident (damn certain!!) it won't be the last.

An outline was sketched onto some scrap pieces, cut roughly to size, and then Dremelled to get the desired shape (same process as for the tiller-arms above).

post-675-0-71269900-1391294647.jpg

I cheated a little when attaching the arms to rudders. Ideally, the keel tip would slot into a groove on the end of the arms. Instead, I trimmed a 2mm tip off my rudders, CA'd the tiller-arms (after checking the angle!!) in place, then re-attached the tip.

post-675-0-72382300-1391295573.jpg

EDIT: This pic proved to me just how handy a camera is as a ship-building tool. The angle of the second keel (on right) is out. I only noticed this after uploading the pic. It has since be corrected.

I don't know how much more I will get done today. Apparently, I have a rather large bottle of beer to get through - courtesy of Jay.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

They say you learn something new every day ... 

Well, today I learned TWO:- Pintle and Gudgeon.

I can even put 'em in a sentence ... the pintle slots into the gudgeon providing a fulcrum (already knew that one!!) for the rudder.

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

Having changed my mind with regards fitting/stowing the rudders, the two whale-boats and the Gig now have tillers/keels attached.

I cheated with these by simply glueing them in place ...

post-675-0-16341600-1391869884_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-26677200-1391869904_thumb.jpg

To represent pintle/gudgeon straps on these, I cut some thin (1/32") strips of wet'n'dry sandpaper ...

post-675-0-44890000-1391870014_thumb.jpg

These need to be cut to size and glued into position ....

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Seeing as the keel for the pinnace will now be stowed, I wanted to show the pintle/gudgeon a little better.

Two short (3mm) pieces of brass wire were wrapped inside strips of the wet'n'dry ...

post-675-0-52342200-1391870317_thumb.jpg

(Sorry. It's a bit fuzzy)

Once the CA glue has set, holding my pintles in place, the pinnace keel will look like this ...

post-675-0-73726800-1391870415_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Onto the gudgeons. Searching thru a small pack of watch-parts (see Kit-Basher's), I found a pair of 1mm dia cogs. Again using thin strips of wet'n'dry ....

post-675-0-53775000-1391926332_thumb.jpg

Some fiddly attaching followed, again with strips ...

post-675-0-68276400-1391926540_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-72764700-1391926573_thumb.jpg

The whale-boats ...

post-675-0-72414800-1391926720_thumb.jpg

... and my boats are sooo very close to being done. Just furniture to consider now, starting with the Pinnace keel which has been "lazily" fixed in place.

post-675-0-71828000-1391926741_thumb.jpg

That's it for this weekend, Folks. Back to work tomorrow.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Incidentally, I've made a decision on what I'll be doing once the boats are safely stored away.

For now, this teaser .... there's a BLUE box due to arrive this week.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Lol I have to ask but how did you find anything 1mm big in a whole bits box??  Haha

But seriously, these look great!

Arrr, Bindy ...

T'aint that hard. I pours 'em all out (onto one of the plan sheets), then sift thru 'em using a pair of tweezers. Once done, fold the plan sheet in 'alf and pour 'em all back into their container.

Oh, and did I mention that - even though my eye-sight still be fine - I use a pair of magnifying spectacles whenever I be workin' on me model.

Thoroughly recommend 'em. You can buy a pair at any chemist in Oz for around $10.00. I use the maximum ones - 3+.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I use a pair of magnifying spectacles whenever I be workin' on me model.

Thoroughly recommend 'em.

Hi Steve,

Funny you should mention that, I have started using a pair the Admiral has (only +2 i think) which she uses for reading fine print on competition labels.

Only thing is make sure to use them in private...I look like Mr Magoo and can't walk around as can only focus 3" from my face LOL

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Most definitely, Slog !!

If ya don't take them off, ye can quite easily walk into walls/doorways/animals.

Not to mention the head-spins just from standing upright quickly !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Most definitely, Slog !!

If ya don't take them off, ye can quite easily walk into walls/doorways/animals.

Not to mention the head-spins just from standing upright quickly !!!

I need my glasses to read and without them any detail on my build is just a blur. Mind you when I take them off the ship looks perfect!

I often use a magnifying lamp to paint the detail. As for finding a 1 mm part........

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

I'm blind as a bat having to wear strong magnifying glasses since I was seven. I've been wearing tri-focal lens for years now and even then I still need a magnifying lens to read fine print. I use a clip-on 3 Doppler Ary eye loupe to do my model work. It clips on and it flips up and down as necessary with ease. The one I have, I bought many years ago, probable in the late 70's and it still works fine. Today, they go for about $80 odd today. I have no idea what I paid for mine.

post-1370-0-61471300-1392044520_thumb.jpg

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

JS,

For someone who claims to be as "blind as a bat", you do brilliant work !!

Arr

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

A few posts back, I suggested that a blue box was imminently due.

It was collected today.

post-675-0-04245600-1392127390_thumb.jpg

Anyone care to guess what's inside ??

(HINT: I may have chosen to follow some additional builds recently)

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

A few posts back, I suggested that a blue box was imminently due.

It was collected today.

attachicon.gifBlueBox2.JPG

Anyone care to guess what's inside ??

(HINT: I may have chosen to follow some additional builds recently)

Don't tease! Just get the pics on line or a certain Dutchman might get stroppy

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

You're close, Bob.

It IS from the 18th Century.

And, technically, I guess it certainly is a form of longboat.

(How long does a boat need to be in order to be known as a "longboat" ??)

But, no, it's not the one which you, Chuck and many others have built.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Don't tease! Just get the pics on line or a certain Dutchman might get stroppy

Is that the Flying one ... or the one with the popcorn cart ???

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)