USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

Boats are looking good, the cleats came out just fine, I know they can be hard to make and you made it look simple. Nice job all around. Don't worry about making fast progress. Sometimes the best modeling you can do is walk away for a little bit and get a new perspective on what you are trying to do.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

The cleats turned out better than I hoped, Geoff. Of course, I imagine I'll need to do another 50 or so of them later on, but I plan to worry about that problem when the time comes ...

I admit that my progress is slow ...

My small work-table sits in the corner of the room, with the boats virtually accusing me of procrastination on a daily basis. 

I've started on cap-rails, as well as fitting a winch to the one (un-stolen) whale-boat.

post-675-0-55741900-1386440456_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-52014200-1395144845_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-19913000-1395144858_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

A quick note regarding the whale-boat winches. Ever since seeing them installed on another build here on MSW, I had decided I wanted to add them to mine.

They actually proved quite easy to make. The middle pieces, the "drums", are simply some beads that I found in a store, and the two ends are merely the tips from a pair of chop-sticks left-over from takeaway night. I simply cut these ends off, sanded them down to fit and attached the bead/drum between them.

Some holes were drilled thru for the poles to wind the winches (and these poles will be included later as "furniture"). 

I had wanted to add some tiny gear wheels to the ends to simulate the ratchets to wind them. But, despite getting hold of a pack of watch parts, the sizes were just wrong, so the gears were left off.

As the last pic shows, I'm now working on cap-rails for the two whale-boats.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

No real updates for this weekend, folks, though work does continue on my boats.

Some spare time the other evening saw me put together a few ideas, and hence, I've created a little forum here on MSW which I'd very much like people to check out. After a change to the working title, it is now called "The Kit-Basher's Guide to the Galaxy."

(Douglas Adams ?? No ?? Never heard of him !!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks Glider.

Nice start you've made there.

Thanks Keelie,

Really, it has come down to me currently having very limited space - and time - to work on my build.

Thus, I have chosen to work on the smaller sections of this kit for now.

I can understand if some would suggest my OCD kicks in a little too frequently !!

;)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just a quick update after a very busy weekend of work (I drew Saturday shift this weekend), last-minute Christmas shopping, present-wrapping and work functions (well, only the one).

Even managed to re-construct an old dart-board cabinet - that one is for my brother-in-law.

Somewhere amongst all that, work continued on re-creating the hi-jacked whale-boat.

Almost there ...

post-675-0-65200800-1395144921_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-38072700-1395144934_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Also, I've had a re-think on the cap-rails for these two boats.

I happened to acquire some sheets of veneer-thickness wood from a business I visited the other day. To them, it was just scrap left-over from a job - to me, it was 1.5sqm of trim, detail-strips and cap-rails !!!

As the grain was a bit loose for small scale stuff, I coated one sheet with PVA, and sealed by pushing the glue into the grain, then left it to dry with a pile of books sitting on top.

Once ready, YET ANOTHER tracing of the cap-rails taken from the plans and glued onto the veneer ...

post-675-0-71007600-1395144991_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-40614300-1395145006_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-22620700-1395145019_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-57905800-1395145032_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I am collecting ideas for making boats

Thx

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Arr !!

The cap-rails proved to be a little bit fiddly. After cutting them out three times - cause I kept getting them wrong and/or breaking them - I finally got there.

These still need a bit of final shaping ...

post-675-0-21105000-1395145078_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Once they are finished, then some oar locks (tholes), the rudders and furniture.

And then I should finally be ready to re-create that picture of yours from so many months ago, Geoff !!

Having noted what you said about cutting back on furniture, I have been giving the matter some thought.

Here's what I've come up with (not set in concrete):

Captain's Gig

1 furled sail

2 bunches of two oars (tied)

2 coils of rope

Rudder mounted

Whaleboat 1

3 bunches of oars

Coiled rope around winch drum

(leading to harpoon at prow)

2 Winch-poles

2-3 Coil of rope

1 bucket

Rudder mounted

Whale-boat 2

AS ABOVE EXCEPT

1 bundle of 5 oars

Rudder stored on-board

Pinnace

1 bundle of 7 oars

2 Boat hooks

2 furled sails

1 bucket

3-6 coils of rope

Rudder stored on-board

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Arr !!

I had a visit from my old mate, MrCritic, last night.

As these meetings usually go, razor-knives were drawn. By the time we were done, the half-moon hatch from the recently rebuilt whale-boat had been mortally wounded (read "removed").

It won't take me too long to re-make this.

I have to admit, though, he was right. That hatch-cover was at least 1mm too big - and maybe even as much as 1.5mm - so it HAD to go !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Done !!

I really don't like the whole concept of photography.

... especially crystal clear photography ...especially the kind that shows up every, minute flaw !!

:cheers:

post-675-0-75346000-1388560731_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks, UTS.

So, you like detail, huh ??

:)

Well, another feature I saw on Chuck Passaro's 18th Century pinnace build which I quite liked, had me re-visit the two "swan-boats" last night.

Originally, I had thought that the iron strip affixed over the prow as a re-inforcement was white in colour, but after having another look at Chuck's build yesterday, I now see that this will be black.

As I would like to leave mine white, with a vertical row of black dots to represent the bolts, my question is this:

In the days of "If it doesn't move, paint it!!", would it have been possible that this strip could have been painted ??

These strips started life as twist-ties from a pack of freezer bags. See "Kit-Basher's" for more info.

post-675-0-45724600-1388885529_thumb.jpg

EDIT: OMG ... You're the guy who puts a sabre, some mangoes and a half-cut coconut in his Bounty launch !!!

Very cool, UTS!!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nice work. Collecting ideas for future use...  

- Bug

• 2 weeks later...

In that case, please keep on reading, Moonbug ...

Although I didn't get much of a break from work over Christmas/New Year (just the public holidays), things were pretty slow which actually gave me a chance to work on my next mission: making tholes/oar-locks for my whale-boats.

I tried out a few different ideas. At first, I was planning to cut short lengths of wire. However, this idea was scrapped after the first lot were simply too thick (a massive 1.5mm !!) whilst the second batch (using the innards from twist-ties left over after making the swan-boat prow re-inforcements) were too flimsy.

Arrrr ... The Goldilocks paradigm !!!

Looking back at Geoff Matson's pictures it appeared he had used miniscule wooden pegs for his (at least that's what they look like - correct me if I'm wrong, Geoff). Deciding these actually looked rather nice, I proceeded to spend a few days sanding round toothpicks from a massive 2mm thickness down to approx. 0.8mm. The very tips of these were then measured and cut to become 4mm long wooden "spikes".

post-675-0-19506200-1389481202_thumb.jpg

Two thin strips of wood veneer were cut. One marked into segments 5mm long with a pair of holes, each marked 1.5mm in (first scored using the tips of my needle-nose tweezers, then drilled using a 0.2mm bit). These two strips were glued together and clamped.

post-675-0-19597500-1389481179_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-53870700-1389481233_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-63520400-1389481257_thumb.jpg

Once dry, I proceeded to insert the spikes into these strips ...

post-675-0-15299100-1389481280_thumb.jpg

To finish up, I will thin the assemblies by sanding (to approx. 3mm wide), trim the lengths of the spikes using nail-clippers, stain the assemblies with a dark wood-stain, then separate each pair before attaching to my whale-boats.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hello Steve.

For the ore locks all I did was run some thin pieces of wood through a Byrnes Draw Plate to make them round and then drill and glue them in place. Boats are looking good. Keep making sawdust and you will be done before you know it.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Hello Steve.

For the ore locks all I did was run some thin pieces of wood through a Byrnes Draw Plate to make them round and then drill and glue them in place. Boats are looking good. Keep making sawdust and you will be done before you know it.

Hmm ... I'm thinking that I might have made a LOT more sawdust than you, Geoff.

I actually do have a draw-plate, but the smallest hole was waaay too big.

Obviously mine ain't a Byrnes.

I ended up hand-sanding some 32 toothpicks from 2.05mm reducing them down to approx. 0.8mm (mostly). The 24 clipped-off tips eventually used are all under 0.5mm thick, and came to very sharp points that were then inserted into my pre-drilled holes.

The rest of the toothpicks will mostly be used as oars.

BTW, thanks for lookin' in and keeping me honest through this, Geoff !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Incidentally, my oar-locks were attached this morning.

At around 5am ....

Before work ...

Arr !!

"I owe, I owe ... it's off to work I go ..."

EDIT: With regards positioning, I opted to line up the centre of each thole-pair with the corresponding foot-rest.

My reasoning being that I figured a rower's hands and feet would be aligned vertically in order to gain maximum power from each oar-stroke.

Anyway, that's MY story, and I'm sticking to it. 

The glue has set now !!

post-675-0-51901600-1395145139_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-20930100-1395145153_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I made a start on the rudders this weekend. Since I had added the little cabinets at the back of my boats, taking a direct impression from the plans, especially for the tiller-arms, wasn't going to do me much good.

First step was to give the rudders a minor touch-up. A thin veneer was added to each side.

This was to give them a wood-grain effect to line up later with the wales.

My main consideration here, however, was to add extra thickness so that I could drill holes through the rudders in order to fit the tiller-arms.

Most of the additional thickness will be cut/sanded away.

I had to consider the tiller arms for the two whale-boats. Not sure how correct my solution would have been, historically, but I wanted it to appear that the hatches could be opened and closed, no matter what position the tiller was in.

I started with a spare piece of wood-stock 8mm wide and 2mm thick.

The shape was marked out ...

post-675-0-86219700-1395145225_thumb.jpg

Then a couple of cuts using my razor saw ....

post-675-0-86219700-1395145225_thumb.jpg

Some work with the Dremel followed ...

To finish, some delicate sanding ... they still need a minor bit of work.

Then - somehow - I'll need to attach the tiller arms to the rudders

post-675-0-13799100-1395145212_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-14946100-1395145241_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-15675400-1395145255_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-36999000-1395145272_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Impressive work ! You've given me quite a few ideas for my builds keep up the good work.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Thanks, Sport.

To be honest, I am merely using (plagiarizing ??) and developing so many of the ideas I have picked up from other builders since joining MSW.

That, I believe, is the true beauty of this site !!

(Has it been 12 months already ?? Must be DONATION time again !!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Wow, these look great! I can't wait to see Constitution being assembled.

Andrew

Nor can I, Andy ... nor can I !!!

I moved just a couple of steps closer yesterday and today, with painting of my rudder parts. As it's a long-weekend here, I should get around to assembly tomorrow ...

Also, I thought the pinnace could use just another little touch ...

A couple of small holes (they are vertical, despite how I'm holding the drill for this next pic) were drilled.

A short piece of copper wire was cut and shaped, and my pinnace has a new tiller-guard ...

Hmmm .. should've gone with the stern-on picture.

post-675-0-28290200-1395145325_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-34576100-1395145338_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-19285100-1395145355_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Steve,

I'm just now catching up.. great job!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)