HMS Snake by jim_smits - Caldercraft - First Build

Hi Guys,

I would like to overlap my copper plates but I am hesitant to because I do not want to run short.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Mort

The vast majority of my tiles are butted together. I have only done overlap where I am left with thin slivers where the 'stealers' are.

I still have the rudder to copper and I have just about enough plates.

You could always buy some extra tiles?

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Todays progress so far...

Some copper tiles peeled off to allow some overlapping where there were some really thin slivers required. I have also managed to lay upto the waterline approaching the bow. More 'stealers' to fill there as well....!

Back to it!

post-465-0-03013200-1361641700_thumb.jpg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Nice Jim, keep at it!  I kept trying to force myself to look at the big picture, if you obsess over every plate it just isn't fun.  I noticed you've painted the pintles black, I know for authenticity the straps should be painted copper and was going to do the gudgeons/pintels copper as well in the absence of a reference.  Did you find anything to suggest which way to go?

Cheers

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks for the feedback on the plates. I would rather overlap them. Where is the best place to order extra plates? I am used to dealing with Bluejacket and Model Expo. It is just a mental thing to have to deal with another company. I wish Aeromarime was easier to hook up with. They are the people I bought my 3 Caldercraft  kits from but they never answer the phone. 

Thanks,

Mort

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Jim, I have not coppered the bottom.  I was going put in a false keel as described in some AOTS books I've been referencing (mainly HMS Pandora).  Still figuring out what and how.

For the plates on the front of the bow and the rear edge of the rudder I simply glued them on vertically as they are.  The thickness of the wood and the previously mounted plates were only very slightly narrower than the width of the copper plate.  I then just took a small file and carefully  filed away the edge at a 45 degree angle help them meet the side plates to smooth it (the plates tend to bend back a little in this process which makes for an even more seamless result).  Hard to describe, but simple, and turned out a lot better than I had dared hope.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi all,

Coppering complete!! Phew! That feels like a major accomplishment.

The rudder is also complete. Painted the mounting pins in copper and also the inside edge of the stern and the rudder. Still have the rudder straps to add. Will paint these in copper as well. Still waiting on some round head pins from Cornwall Boats before installing the straps.

Now looking forward to adding detail to the deck and hull. Already thinking that the capping rails might be a pain as they arent an exact fit.....

post-465-0-97500400-1362083255.jpg

post-465-0-68239900-1362083260.jpg

post-465-0-51757200-1362083264.jpg

post-465-0-50801700-1362083267.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Congrats Jim, looks great.  I know what you mean about the sense of accomplishment!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

She looks great. It really is an accomplishment. You should feel proud.

Mort

Hi all,

Now I've finished the coppering I have now turned my attention to the plethora of different little jobs now to be done!

Knocked together the capstan, companionway and the main assembly for the ships wheels. The actual wheels are a little underwhelming. Thinking of upgrading from caldercraft accessories. A wheel kit costs about £15. My question if anyone knows offhand is - is that for one wheel or a pair of wheels?

Also now working on the gunport sills, filing to size and drilling the pivot pin holes.

Finally, added the sills to fit the fore and aft platforms.

Lots done and to do but makes such a pleasant change from the coppering marathon!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Not sure on pricing, but the wheels are sold individually. However 15 quid seems a little steep. Don't think I paid that much.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi,

Managed to complete gunport sills down one side of the ship. I think in need to use some filler and touch up paintwork as I presume the sills should be seamless from the inner bulwarks?

Also, thinking about the Carronades and whether many ships used a metal arc attached to the deck for the rollers of the carronade. Was thinking of potentially adding to the build but wondered if it was that common?

Also made an upgrade to my working area. Decided to move from the lounge table. So I have cleared a space from the conservatory / lean-to extension, and bought a new worktable and chair. Lots more space to work now.

post-465-0-94805200-1362577649.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Nice space, looking very tidy!  I think the metal arc on the decks is a feature added much later when the size of the guns started to grow to make them easier to lay and prevent chewing up the decks.  Haven't seen anything like this contemporaneous with the "Snake" period.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Quick update.

Managed to create a little jig to guide drilling the holes in the bulwark for rigging my carronades. Done one side of the ship now. Need to add the sills and holes to the other side. Also started to try and fit the capping rail. I've decided the easiest way of doing this is to permanently pin the rail in place and sink the pins slightly and cover with a little filler and paint.

And finally, decided to add my little personal touch with the addition of a figurehead of sorts. A little Cobra figurine I found on eBay sold in Thailand. Chopped of the coiled bottom of the figurine and attached the hooded cobra head to the front of the bow, to fit underneath the bowspirit. Quite pleased with it!

post-465-0-82718100-1362669417.jpg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Nice job on the coppering Jim

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

I've decided the easiest way of doing this is to permanently pin the rail in place and sink the pins slightly and cover with a little filler and paint.

Agree with you, thats how I was thinking of tackling it as well as I think it may need to keep a bit of lateral strain in places to sit properly.  Have you given any thought to the bulwark pinrails and whether you will fit before or after the capping rail?  I'm also deliberating over the placement, on the plans they seem to be immediately below the capping rail, but it seems a little high, and looking at other ships it seems they are a little lower, maybe the same height as the foremast bits.  I'm leaning toward lowering them which means it may make sense to do after installing the capping rail.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I figure I will fit the pinrails after the capping rail. I figure it will probably be easier that way round to ensure a good finish the capping rail ie filling any gaps and painting touch ups. As for position I hadnt checked that quite yet. I need to have a look ahead.

I think my order of build now is to fit catheads in place, rig up the wheel and tiller, fit the platforms and then add the capping rail. Hopefully not missing anything drastic? I can then start adding steps, and drill holes to starting pinning the various rails onto the inner and outer hull. build starting to get nice and interesting.

I liked your False Keel, might have a go at replicating.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Not a huge amount of progress over the weekend due to being summoned to spend Mothers Day back in Coventry. However, I have managed to finish off both sides of gunport sills, and drilled tap points for the Carronade rigging into the Bulwarks. The catheads have now been installed and need a slight bit of touch up with filler. I have also cut and filled to shape the Bowspirit to help dry fitting against deck and through the platform and bulwarks. Fairly large gap here, presumable needs filling?

Next steps are to fit the platforms. Before I do this I think I will probably need to install the rudder tiller, wheel and the rigging between the two. The majority of the rigging diagram seems clear enough but I admit that I am puzzled by the presence of the two tackle blocks next to the wheel. What function do they perform and how are they rigged? From what I can see they look to be suspended with no attachment and the riggind thread passing straight through. I presume I am being a bit special and missing something here?

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo