Flying Fish by campbewj - Model Shipways - 1:96

I primed and painted the hull, I believe I stopped at 4 coats of the black to get good coverage.   I was looking for more of base to set the copper tape than necessarily a finish coat.   As the paint was drying a I spent some time looking at the work of Keithbrad80 and GAK1965.  (which I do a lot).   I tested out the pizza cutter to make the joint marks as well as a pounce wheel to add additional details.     Ultimately I dropped the pounce wheel and simply went with the lines to outline the individual copper sheets.   This simplified the jig such that I only needed slots to make consistent strips.

61 copper strips.jpg

57 Painted hull 1.jpg

58 Painted hull2.jpg

59 coper template.jpg

60 copper template 2.jpg

Current Build: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish 

Completed: 

• Model Shipways - Rattlesnake
  • Model Shipways - Phantom

Planning: 

Over the past couple of days I've cut enough strips and applied them to cover the first belt between the keel and the goring line.  As with the practice strips, any movement of the tape while working with it shows up on the final product.   Peeling the backing off, if you don't keep the foil side straight, makes little marks across the foil.   While I've become better and limiting this, some is inevitable and I've simply accepted that.   The markings from the Pizza cutter look good, better in some places than others but so far I'm happy with the outcome.   Most of these strips will be under the boat and not seen often so hopefully I will continue to get better at this.

66 coppering hull 5.jpg

62 coppering hull 1.jpg

63 coppering hull 2.jpg

64 coppering hull 3.jpg

65 coppering hull 4.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

3 hours ago, campbewj said:

Peeling the backing off, if you don't keep the foil side straight, makes little marks across the foil.   While I've become better and limiting this, some is inevitable and I've simply accepted that. 

The markings will disappear a bit as the copper tarnishes and they give the plates a bit of surface interest, suggesting the nails that are there without putting in a bunch of giant out of scale dots. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Bottom line is that it looks great, keep on rolling.

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Coming along nicely. 

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Coppering is now completed and I've mounted the ship on a scrap piece of wood.   I'll replace this with something nice before I get into masts etc. that will make it difficult to turn up side down later on.    I haven't decided if I'm going to make some nice wood mounting board or just buy one.   On to the next level of stanchions and planking.

67 Coppering completed.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

• 1 year later...

@campbewj your painted and coppered Flying Fish hull looks beautiful. Since it's been well over a year from your last update, I hope all is well with you and your family. Jared who's also well on his way to finishing his clipper just ran into an issue with his solid tops. My hope is to share accurate info with you so that you can avoid Jared's problem. The MSW plans for solid tops have 2 errors. First, the crosstrees intersect the lubber's hole, creating 4 small rectangles, which isn't right. Reviewing 3 actual ships reveals that there's a long, uninterrupted lubber's hole. Second, according to Jared's "Mastini" plan, the trestletree projects awkwardly beyond the semi-circular top above. However, the foremast on Glory of the Seas shows that the trestletrees below blend in harmoniously with the solid top above. Images are 3 of Glory of the Seas , 2 of USS Constitution "Old Ironsides" a single shot of the Whaler Charles W Morgan and finally 2 of Jared's incorrect plans. Having this accurate info should allow you to rig shrouds easier too.

20230831_162239.jpg

20230831_162324.jpg

20230831_162749.jpg

20230831_185257.jpg

20220127_105511.jpg.bf21f2bc80c83f7be0928f2359fc3bc9.jpg

IMG_8278.jpg.7f30c4e19c288d2b41b4cc51ad7dbf3c.jpg

20230831_162041.jpg

FFFix1.JPG.c642f5cb38d356802f4835e85f5d9207.jpeg