Flying Fish by campbewj - Model Shipways - 1:96

Started with gluing the center together.   As instructions indicated I did this on a large glass picture frame to keep it straight

IMG_5723.jpg

Current Build: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish 

Completed: 

• Model Shipways - Rattlesnake
  • Model Shipways - Phantom

Planning: 

working on the waterway and plank sheer.  This has taken a bit of time at the bow and stern to be comfortable with how it all comes together.   I've been leveraging the build logs extensively here to see pictures of other builds both in this state and further along to help anticipate what this should really look like.   When in doubt I leave some things "unfinished" knowing that when I go to plank that area things will be much more clear.  

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

Shaped the underside of the plank sheer and rabbit for the stern.   Continue to other logs to see how this works.  Hopefully not too much rework in my future.   Also carved the blocks above the plank sheer.

IMG_5981 (2).jpg

IMG_5976.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

IMG_5980 (2).jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

Welcome aboard! There are now four of us working on the Fish.

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time looking at alignment from front to back and send down / build up the bulkheads where needed.    I used the string method to see where things were out of alignment.    I continued to use the string to lay out the bands.   First using a tick strip to transfer the measurements for each bulkhead to the model.   Then used the string to see where things didn't look right overall.  After additional sanding etc. I've marked each of the bands on each bulkhead so the bands seem to lay out as expected.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

Getting ready to start planking.   I'm holding off on the work near the rails as I'm sure I would break that along the way.   based on the instructions, I've got about 3 months of planking coming.

26.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

1 hour ago, campbewj said:

Getting ready to start planking

Planking always brings up this tendency I have to put off things I'm not quite sure about, which is probably why I've had a few kits on the shelf for years ;)

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)

3 hours ago, campbewj said:

Getting ready to start planking.   I'm holding off on the work near the rails as I'm sure I would break that along the way.   based on the instructions, I've got about 3 months of planking coming.

26.jpg

Depends on how you plan to do it. Once I start planking, I want to get it over, so I push to the end. Since I'm painting my ships rather than looking to have the bare wood finish, I worry less about needing a bit of putty or slight irregularities. Almost exactly a month from first to last plank, then additional time for the bulwark stanchions and bulwarks.

It'll be done before you know it!

George K

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

• 2 weeks later...

planking continues.....   Pics below show the completion of bands D & E.  I'm working from the bottom up.   someone's log pointed out that they started where the first ones would be hidden by the copper.  so far I'm pleased with the result.  I'm debating if I should start now at the top and work down so I meet in a place that is also covered.   Not too worried about it as it is all to be painted.  Happy Thanksgiving to all!

IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_6029.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

IMG_6031.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

campbewj I hope you don't mind some observations I've already shared with others in the process of building this magnificent kit. I'll start with an actual tracing of this vessel's lines, which originates from Bergen Sjofort Museum, Bergen, Norway. This was discovered in a Nautical Research Journal.

clipperflyingfishtrace.jpg.12460f3e5284d536143fcc387f5784ec.jpg

Donald McKay was notoriously secretive about his nautical designs. Case in point: the treatment of his Clipper Ship prows. In the contemporary descriptions by Boston Daily Atlas publicist Duncan MacLean, he goes into great detail to describe the McKay Bow, first introduced on his prototype Extreme Clipper "Staghound." He also comments on the superiority of these rugged nautical devices designed to take on the toughest Seas of the world while rounding Cape Horn. Yet all of today's models don't incorporate them at all. 

I've included a photo of the Bow of "GLORY of the SEAS" so you can see how her Naval Hoods and Cutwater blend gracefully with her Grecian Goddess 'Athene' figurehead. 

Unfortunately all of this has to be scratch built since your kit only has the Stem. I've sketched a more accurate, lifelike flying fish figurehead and illustrated how your "Flying Fish" Clipper would have actually appeared with her prow fully reconstructed. This little sketch isn't totally to scale, so I will follow up with one that is.

20211111_134142.jpg

20211124_100555.jpg

20210309_072220.jpg

Another divergence with the kit's plans has to do with her large Rear Carriage House. As you can see in these several pictures (all photos courtesy of eminent author Michael Mjelde) Glory's front fascia is far more ornate and incorporates 4 large 2' high by 1 & 1/2' wide windows surrounded by multiple carved arches. Included is author Mjelde's own sketch of this beautiful design. 

A famous oil of James E Buttersworth, commissioned by Sampson & Tappan of Boston, owners of "Flying Fish" to celebrate her phenomenal first place finish in the 1853 "Great Deep Sea Derby" from New York to San Francisco when she completed the journey in 92 days and 4 hours. She out sailed 14 other crack Extreme Clippers including 3 other McKay Clippers. The front fascia of the vessel in Buttersworth's powerful painting is far more ornate than the plans of the kit. There are 2 large arched windows on either end, elaborate carving and what appears to be twin arched doors with identical pillars as on Glory. Another fascinating feature is a type of "gingerbread" in the form of small spheres completely surrounding the structure. Even the partial wrought iron guard rail is depicted and appears to be painted gold.  

1027437157_glorypoophouserailing.jpg.429703388d4148f79d29c600bcee84c6.jpg

20210321_225721.jpg

20210826_082909.jpg

20210914_101512.jpg

20210927_090840.jpg

tumblr_laalebxVW61qb8vzto1_1280.jpg

Finally our friend Michael Mjelde shared an amazingly sharp image of Glory's Stern which settles forever the question of the full structure of a McKay Rear House. Contrary to the kit's rectangular plan, the actual vessel's house narrowed as it followed the thinning contours of the ship in order to keep the walkways consistent for working of the ship. 

20210428_090411.jpg

20211101_155349.jpg

Clipperfan,  Thank you so much for these pictures.   I have to admit I'm a bit lazy on the research side of this hobby.  its too easy to get on with the build without a lot of knowledge that would improve things beyond what the kit might provide.  These pictures will help to see what more I might be able to accomplish.  It will take a bit of digesting as there is a lot of info in a few pics.  Thanks again,   Bill

Completed: 

Planning: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 9:17 AM, campbewj said:

Clipperfan,  Thank you so much for these pictures.   I have to admit I'm a bit lazy on the research side of this hobby.  its too easy to get on with the build without a lot of knowledge that would improve things beyond what the kit might provide.  These pictures will help to see what more I might be able to accomplish.  It will take a bit of digesting as there is a lot of info in a few pics.  Thanks again,   Bill

Bill, you're welcome. This is a direct trace of the lines plan from the BergenSjofort Museum, Bergen, Norway. The same lines were used to produce the plans of the Model Shipways kit you're building. I've also cross referenced the Buttersworth oil to keep the cutwater profile as faithful to the ship's appearance as possible.

It will be a challenge to sculpt the more realistic flying fish as it's 6'. At 1:96 scale it's 3/4ths of an inch long. 

In his brief description of the figurehead, MacLean merely says it was burnished green and gold. Natural flying fish actually are more blue than green, darker on top, lighter below, while their wings are translucent with beautiful butterfly patterns in their veins. Their bodies are long, thin and aerodynamically shaped with large round eyes. 

If you want help with the front fascia of the large rear carriage house, let me know. The kit's plans do not do this area justice in comparison to the Buttersworth oil.

20211208_194722.jpg

20211208_194629.jpg

Bill, another discovery Rob and I made in our months long journey to recreate "GLORY of the SEAS" has to do with the spar shapes of her bowsprit and inner Jibboom. If you look closely at the bow entrance where these two spars join the ship, you'll notice they're no longer round but instead are oblong. It makes sense, since this prevents any possibility of these massive spars rotating. In addition, the inner jibboom is scaled down somewhat so that the entrance is also narrower to fit into the 16" fancy rail. 

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the kind words.   continuing to plow through the planking.  One more band below the planksheer and then on to above.  I need to do a bit of reviewing logs to see how the planking in the upper Bands connect at the ends.   

Comp Band B 4.jpg

Comp Band B.jpg

Comp Band B 2.jpg

Comp Band B 3.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

• 3 weeks later...

hit a milestone today, completed the planking on the lower hull.   Time to head to the hardware store for more sandpaper.   I'll probably take a short pause to figure out where I am, what's next etc.   it's been a good 2 months on planking with hardly a glance at instructions or blueprints.   Will have to get my head back in the game so I don't miss something.   I think painting the water way needs to happen soon.   Of course I'll be looking at some of the other build logs for this as well.  

lower hull complete unsanded 4.jpg

lower hull coplete unsanded 1.jpg

lower hull complete unsanded 2.jpg

lower hull complete unsanded 3.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After about 3 1/2 months I've completed the hull planking.   The deck is still to come.  I'm thinking through some sequencing of when I want to paint.  Generally I like to paint before I have the opportunity to slop paint on the next things.   I'm thinking I will paint the inner hull and probably the outer hull before I put the main rail as that will be stained.  Then I can copper the bottom and install the deck.  Interested in other views.  

One big question for those that have coppered the hull.   I don't see any guidance as to how to prepare the wood to best take  the copper plates.   Will they adhere best to natural wood, painted wood, or some sort of "pre-treatment".   coppering looks like a lot of tedious work and I'd hate to have them fall off because I didn't prepare the hull properly.   State of the mode can be seen in the pics below

46 Hull sanded 2.jpg

47 Hull sanded 3.jpg

48 Hull sanded 4.jpg

49 Hull Sanded 5.jpg

50 Hull Sanded 6.jpg

45 hull sanded 1.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: 

2 hours ago, campbewj said:

After about 3 1/2 months I've completed the hull planking.   The deck is still to come.  I'm thinking through some sequencing of when I want to paint.  Generally I like to paint before I have the opportunity to slop paint on the next things.   I'm thinking I will paint the inner hull and probably the outer hull before I put the main rail as that will be stained.  Then I can copper the bottom and install the deck.  Interested in other views.  

One big question for those that have coppered the hull.   I don't see any guidance as to how to prepare the wood to best take  the copper plates.   Will they adhere best to natural wood, painted wood, or some sort of "pre-treatment".   coppering looks like a lot of tedious work and I'd hate to have them fall off because I didn't prepare the hull properly.   State of the mode can be seen in the pics below

46 Hull sanded 2.jpg

47 Hull sanded 3.jpg

48 Hull sanded 4.jpg

49 Hull Sanded 5.jpg

50 Hull Sanded 6.jpg

45 hull sanded 1.jpg

Looking good!

I painted the hull before I completed it, partially so that any small errors wouldn't show through as much. It used utterly conventional Tamiya flat black XF-1 acrylic on the area that was going to be coppered and things have adhered just fine.

What I would do is throw out the kit copper tape and replace it with 3/16" Venture Tape (you can get it from places that supply stained glass artists). I used black backed tape so any slight peeling wouldn't show. It adheres better than the kit tape, looks better, and is more in scale than the 1/4" stuff from the kit.

Regards,

George K

• 4 weeks later...

George,

thank you for the suggestion on the tape.   I've found the venture tape and plan to use it shortly.   I went ahead and did the planking on the main deck and I'm now experimenting with stain and varnish.  while this dries, I'm trying to look ahead at the work that needs to be done before I think about planking the upper deck up front.  should have some pictures to show shortly.

Completed: 

Planning: 

Wonderful work thus far.......

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I've completed planking the decks.  The main deck has been sanded, stained and a coat of varnish applied.  The poop and fore decks have been sanded but not finishing yet.   I'm holding off until I work on the railing a bit.   Once I see how that goes together, I'll think about finishing before / after adding those details.   

I am concerned about adding the rails before I flip the boat and finish the hull.   I've been procrastinating on putting primer over the all the planking work as I really love the look of wood.   The next build might be one with a wood finish.   

52 Main deck finished 3.jpg

53 Poop deck sanded.jpg

54 fore deck sanded.jpg

Completed: 

Planning: