Does anyone know of a supplier of Black Hornbeam timber in the UK? The regular guys here don't seem to advertise it, other than the normal pale hornbeam. It seems to be commonly used in Eastern Europe by modelers, and it does look very nice! However, I can't find its qualities on the usual searches and so don't know anything about its working qualities. There is some available from the Ukraine on eBay, but I wonder about risking that at the moment.

Any thoughts or suggestions, anyone?

Thanks

Tony

That's great, @Blue Ensign. They do indeed have black hornbeam which they say is now in stock under the title 'coloured hornbeam'. Shipping a bit expensive and I don't know about customs/vat etc, but I'll find out. Pity there's nothing yet in the UK.

Very nice suggestion.

Thanks very much

Tony

On 1/26/2022 at 8:59 PM, tkay11 said:

That's great, @Blue Ensign. They do indeed have black hornbeam which they say is now in stock under the title 'coloured hornbeam'. Shipping a bit expensive and I don't know about customs/vat etc, but I'll find out. Pity there's nothing yet in the UK.

Very nice suggestion.

Thanks very much

Tony

Hi,

Yes I have colored hornbeam in stock - black, yellow, brown, green, pink/red.

Shipping to UK up to 1kg (inc packing material) is about 19 eur.

Quality wise it looks marvelous (modeller speaking not salesman). Its not suitable for carving example as its too strong (if i could say that).

Its holds edge super good and also bends well.

If you like i can send you more photos or you can check out web and also Instagram www.instagram.com/hobbymill.eu .

For more info about VAT etc you can send me pm or email.

With best regards

Vahur

Hobbymill.EU

One addition.

If you need smaller quantity and you could cut your own sheets/strips then contact local knife wood blank suppliers. Also Etsy has some pieces available.

Yes you get smaller pieces but it might be more cost effective in the end.

Note that they might have stabilized hornbeam and that different product. Colored is more like deep dyed.

With best regards,

Vahur

Hobbymill.EU

Thanks for the information, @Wakha_est. It's good to know about the qualities from a modeller's perspective, and the difference with the coloured versions. I'll think through the options you have suggested.

Tony

Edited by tkay11

On 1/28/2022 at 1:36 PM, Wahka_est said:

Hi,

Yes I have colored hornbeam in stock - black, yellow, brown, green, pink/red.

Shipping to UK up to 1kg (inc packing material) is about 19 eur.

Quality wise it looks marvelous (modeller speaking not salesman). Its not suitable for carving example as its too strong (if i could say that).

Its holds edge super good and also bends well.

If you like i can send you more photos or you can check out web and also Instagram www.instagram.com/hobbymill.eu .

For more info about VAT etc you can send me pm or email.

With best regards

Vahur

Hobbymill.EU

Vahur - Thanks for the information as I was looking for some black wood too for my build.  I'll place an order with you at some point over the next few months.  Thank goodness for model suppliers!