HM Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 by BobG - Vanguard Models - 1:64

16 hours ago, BobG said:

it's the beauty of the model that can keep me plugging away.

Me too, Bob. For a large, sophisticated build like the Sphinx, Chuck's Confederacy, etc., you'll be dedicating many months to a build. For some, it can involve years, even with a kit. 

As the legacy snipe goes: "Love It, Or Leave it!"....also, "Love The One You're With" (Stephen Stills, I believe). 

Good for you on your recent Getaway. I got some serious attitude adjustment these past few weeks with a trip to the Barrier Reef in Belize. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Build the one YOU WILL LOVE. You have the bench, the tools, the boxes await.

Which one will it be?

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Thanks for stopping by, Ron. Your models are an inspiration for us all. Your Camilla diorama is a masterpiece of ship modeling and simply a outstanding work of art.

3 hours ago, hollowneck said:

Build the one YOU WILL LOVE.

This is so very true!

One of my "problems" is that I find so many things so very interesting. There just seems to be no limit to what may catch my attention and, the next thing I know, I'm down the rabbit hole emerged in something new and deeply fascinating. Of course, as a result of engaging in so many activities, it severely limits the amount of time I can spend on each one. So I tend to get "pretty good" at some but not as good as I like at any. I've tried to narrow my focus to fewer activities at times before but, inevitably, something else peaks my interest and off I go again...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

18 hours ago, BobG said:

One of my "problems" is that I find so many things so very interesting. There just seems to be no limit to what may catch my attention and, the next thing I know, I'm down the rabbit hole emerged in something new and deeply fascinating. Of course, as a result of engaging in so many activities, it severely limits the amount of time I can spend on each one. So I tend to get "pretty good" at some but not as good as I like at any. I've tried to narrow my focus to fewer activities at times before but, inevitably, something else peaks my interest and off I go again...

I resemble this remark to an extraordinary degree.

Bob, I reall hope you undertake the planking of Flirt at some point if for nothing more than the practice, even if you don’t keep up the log. There is a sense of accomplishment from planking a hull, I’m sure with trial and error and the help of many relevant logs you could get it done. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Yes, Glenn, learning to beautifully plank a hull using the method that Chuck recommends would be a big accomplishment for me. It seems so straight forward yet still so tricky to do really well like you have mastered on your builds. Thanks for stopping by.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 6 months later...