Making and Fitting Hull Side Steps for Paper Models

Hi,

This is the latest video in my YouTube series I am doing for my build of Borodino, which can also be found in the kit build log section of the forum and shows how I make the steps/step irons/ladders (I believe the correct term is ladder?), which are located all over the hull.

First photo shows a simple jig I made out sheet styrene to quickly and consistently fold the 0.2mm brass wire into the correct shape in a single action.  The ‘former’ is a seam scraper for plastic models from Citadel but the width of the blade is the perfect size for steps.

778907799_MSW1.thumb.jpg.1a4284dc2bfb4b7be42db1ab05e2c4cd.jpg

This shows a ground down sewing needle for making the locating holes in the paper as the 0.2mm brass wire isn’t stiff enough to pierce the paper even if pin pricking beforehand.  The yellow paint marks the 0.2mm diameter on the needle to match the wire diameter so I don’t go in to far, over enlarging the holes.

Previously I used to put the needle in the Proxxon rotary tool and use the lowest speed to make the holes but trying it out for this video discovered it works just fine in a pin vice, which is far more controllable for this purpose.

1973688631_MSW2.thumb.jpg.7bff10817d14b4373f2d5a36c898caac.jpg

The 0.2mm brass wire steps located in the hull and glued with diluted PVA ready for painting.

1939554118_MSW3.thumb.jpg.645d7829e9761f1d8cbbdd1d4762a6e7.jpg

The finished steps painted up…only another 132 to go!  I used watercolours to paint the steps as it is a fairly close match to the paper which isn’t fully black.

1538260534_MSW4.thumb.jpg.a8ac5e52e001db2c28cf8799de619b05.jpg

And of course, the video link;

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)