Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64

Thanks Popeye, I think I'll install the ropes and wood railing next to make sure I can complete this area before moving to the other side. I have so much to catch up on, things I started but did not finish. Coil ropes, deadeyes rotated and glued in position, the second anchor and a few other items. Since I have to reach over the stanchions to place the carronade coiled ropes, I may do this next..., but we will see. Common sense does not always apply with me... :)

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Good morning Sjors,

This ship does not have netting. The kit shows two horizontal ropes from stanchion to stanchion and a wood toprail, using a canvas tarp to cover the bedrolls. I believe the actual ship had three horizontal rows of rope, but I think I'll stick with two spending on how it looks. I may also forgo the canvas tarp, again depending on how it looks. I have three different type ropes to try for horizontal runs. Take care.... :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

I have three samples of stanchion rope I would like your opinion on. My next step is to mount rope to the stanchions I recently installed. Plans are to run two rows across the stanchions with a wood top-rail. I currently have three samples of cordage I can use and I would like your opinion which one looks best or if you think I should keep looking for something better. I'll glue the cordage to the inside of the stanchions and may decide to leave the canvas bedroll cover off. The photos do not show the exact installed position, the rope is simply close to the intended location for this decision making process.

I have some material that may work out for the canvas, but I'm thinking it may look better to me without the canvas. Plus less risk of damaging the rope or stanchions when pushing the canvas in place – decisions, decisions...

First Photo x797 shows Beadalon Supplemax monofilament illusion cord at 0.010” dia.,

Second Photo x800 shows Econo Soft Flex stainless steel nylon coated midnight black beading wire at 0.014” dia.,

Third Photo x802 shows Syren Co. (Chuck) black rigging rope at 0.008” dia.

Thanks for the help!!! 

DSCN3797.JPG

DSCN3800.JPG

DSCN3802.JPG

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

it would depend on how you plan to attach it.   if your going with a wrap-around,  #3 would be your best choice.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the replys. My attachment plan is to simply glue the cordage to the inside leg wall of the stanchion, being very careful to use a minimum amount of glue. I preferred drilling through holes in the legs but backed away from that method after many failed attempts. 

Yesterday, we signed papers to sell our home. We have to close and be out June 21. It's going to be interesting over the next 6-12 months...

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

so it looks like you'll be moving to N. Carolina?  you'll have to post some picts when you do,  so my admiral can see :)  she's been talking about moving there.............'an I said...."what...without me!!!"

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

We're staying in Florida, moving @25 miles west to get closer to our son who is very ill. We'll get a bigger home (downsized too much) which we miss, along with an acre lot for more privacy. The best part is I can move the shipyard into the house, I've grown to like heat and AC in my old age... :)

Packing started today, gawd I hate moving... :(

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 2 months later...

Hello Larry, hope all is well with you. We haven't been in touch in quite a while.  I am working on my Niagara Carronades  and like how you did the threaded elevation jackscrew vs the quoin.  What size thread did you use and where did you find it.  I can't find anything smaller than 2mm.  Time is short for me right now so I'll catch up with you a little later.  My Admiral has had a few strokes over the past 6 weeks so I've been busy taking care of her, however, I'm trying to work on my Niagara in between to keep from going crazy.

Thanks for any help,

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 3 months later...

Hi John &Everone Else,

This is the first time I ck’ed into MSW for months. I just have too many irons in the fire! I’m sorry to hear about your Admiral, I hope she has a fast recovery!

In regard to you question, I used no.90 brass hex head machine screws. I found them in a local hobby store. The turn handles are 0.010 nylon cord I found at Hobby Lobby. I cut a long piece, dipped the end in CA glue, held it vertical so the glue formed a knob, then cut it to length and glued into the jack screw head. I may be repeating myself....lol I do not recall how much detail I gave on my build log. 

Our new house is under roof and electrical should finish this week. HVAC ducting, exterior doors and shingles are next. The builder says April is the scheduled finish date but February looks more realistic. 

I’m currently in Ohio (5th time this year) helping out my parents. My father (87) fell and busted his elbow and cracked his pelvis one month after knee replacement. He’s having a rough time this year, seven days so far in the hospital, this time. Mom cannot be left alone for long so I’m trying to be useful in helping her while Dad is out of commission.

My Niagara sits patiently waiting for a new shipyard. Our temp rental home is small and stacked with furniture and unopened boxes, way to small to work on my ship.

Take care everyone, eventually I’ll get back to building and posting results...

Regards,

Larry

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Sjors, 

its good to hear from you! I hope you and Anja are doing well. Our world is bit up side down right now but hopefully by spring it will get better. 

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

sorry to hear of your latest development.   unfortunate that your plans to locate in N. Carolina fell through.   wish you the best and hope that your dad has a speedy recovery.  looking forward in seeing you back in the shipyard.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

Thanks for the concern and well wishes. Unfortunately Mom and Dad are getting to that point in life where all you can do is try to keep them safe and comfortable. 

Hopefully the shipyard will open up this spring.  I’m already thinking about my next build. The Confederacy is at the top of my list, maybe from the Lumberyard if I can work up the courage.  

Take care my friend.

Larry

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

• 4 years later...
On 1/12/2014 at 1:20 PM, lb0190 said:

Thanks John!

The last two planks went on much quicker than anticipated. Next is an epoxy coat on the inside of the planks. I know it's not really needed, but since it's single planked, I feel more at ease sanding on the hull with the epoxy adding some strength to the assembly. After sanding, I'll start working on some of the details I left for later, yes... putting odds and ends off have finally caught up with me. Gun,sweep ports need sanded to final deminsion, end planks need to be made and installed on gun/sweep ports and after that I believe it's time to do some painting.

post-277-0-66248800-1405435580_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-38064300-1405435582_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-69754700-1405435583_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-46306700-1405435585_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-95910600-1405435586_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-44255700-1405435588_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-55730900-1405435590_thumb.jpg

Nice job on the hull planking.

Steven E. Sylven

• The title was changed to Niagara by lb0190 - Model Shipways - 1/64