New James Caird model kit

Seamus107

Modelers Central is coming out with a James Caird model kit in 2022.  Details (although not many) can be found at https://www.modelerscentral.com/modeling-hub/james-caird/.  Looks like a good, realistic representation of the Caird, with a cutaway hull to show ballast, crates, supplies, etc., in the crowded boat.

james

Maine

Past projects:  Galway hooker; Durham boat; Mayflower shallop; Irish seagoing currach; James Caird; Cornish fishing lugger; Pitcairn Island longboat; Bounty launch.

To be clear, the kit is being produced by Modellers Shipyard, not Modeler's Central. The latter is a vendor who also operate a FB group. And to be perfectly frank, I would not do business with Modeler's Central, since they do not share the NRG/MSW stance on model kit piracy. Their FB group does not allow any criticism of any manufacturer in any form, and that policy is extended to copycats such as ZHL. I just left the Modeler's Central FB group yesterday because of that very fact.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

9 minutes ago, dcicero said:

Too bad it's this company making the kit.

To repeat: Modellers Shipyard makes the kit; Modeler's Central is the soft-on-piracy vendor. It's confusing, but don't mix up the two -- as far as I know (for now), they're not the same entity.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

I should have been more clear in my initial post.  Modelers Central is OFFERING the kit, not making it, as the above comments indicate.  I was excited and posted the first news I heard about a James Caird kit, without digging into the details about the kit manufacturer.  Sorry about that.

james

Maine

Edited by Jnorton1946

Past projects:  Galway hooker; Durham boat; Mayflower shallop; Irish seagoing currach; James Caird; Cornish fishing lugger; Pitcairn Island longboat; Bounty launch.

• 4 weeks later...

The name shown on the bow of the model kit, “James Caird” is not correct.  I contacted an archivist at Dulwich College, who confirmed that names were painted on the bows of all three boats salvaged and repaired by Shackleton, and that the name painted on the boat that made the journey to South Georgia was “J Caird”.  In one of Frank Hurley’s photographs of the Caird launch from Elephant Island, the name “J Caird” is visible at the bow.  The kit manufacturer should correct this error before the kit is made available, if they claim that their model is historically accurate.

james

Maine

Edited by Jnorton1946