Help with 5mm deadeyes on Bounty

JayDee24ca

Hello

The Correl Bounty I am working on has a number of 5mm dead eyes that are required to be stropped to a line that then runs though the channel, to the outer planking, where is is nailed in place. I am struggling to figure out how to make these short straps with the deadeye at one end and an eye for nailing at the other.  Can someone please help me on the correct way to accomplish this?

TIA, JD

JD

Does the kit provide the metal rod material to do this?  There are usually three pr four pieces to this on the fore and main mast shroud deadeyes, the eye  around the deadeye and into the slot on the channel then one or two chain links going to the hull and a lower plate. There were no lower plates on 17th century vessels and there are not always plates on the mizen mast shroud deadeyes.  You can see a model of Bounty on the RMG site to see what is appropriate as I would not trust your kit instructions without doing some research first. https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-68763 Have you looked at the various build logs including other than Bounty?  Do a search on deadeye chains here at MSW, there are pictures and discussions on various methods members of used.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

You will be looking for something like this..

image.png.791b50ee5598b8048a7f92be5dddb11f.png

Brass Chainplate with Deadeye

Your components should be similar..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon