Tick marks on the bulkheads

I know how to use the planking fan and create the tick marks. What I find real hard is transferring the tick marks from the paper to the bulkhead cause they are so thin and I find holding everything still a problem. Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do ? Thanks

Hey rudybob , I’ve only planked one hull using the tick strips and planking fan but this is the  method I used. After putting the marks on the tick strip, I would only transfer one mark to the bulkhead for the next strake. After finishing that strake I would check to see if the tick strip could still be used for the next strake. If it could still be used I would put one more mark on the bulkhead. If the the same tick strip couldn’t be used again because I had not been right on the money with the previous plank, then I would make a new tick strip. By only putting one mark at a time on each bulkhead I wouldn’t have to get rid on a bunch of marks if I messed up. Hope this makes sense. 
Paul

Edited by Paul Le Wol

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Rudybob, I use a bit of tape (masking or painter's tape) to hold down the tick strip while marking the bulkheads or frames.    I set it up so the strip only covers half the frame/bulkhead so that the other half can be marked with a sharp pencil.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

55 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Rudybob, I use a bit of tape (masking or painter's tape) to hold down the tick strip while marking the bulkheads or frames.    I set it up so the strip only covers half the frame/bulkhead so that the other half can be marked with a sharp pencil.  

The bulkheads on the pinnace are very thin. I used tape to get the length of my paper strip as exact as I could. I did not attempt tape to hold the tick strip because I thought the bulkhead to thin for my dexterity level. I will look into doing just that though. Thank You