RMS Titanic by Titanicphile - OcCre - 1/300

Thoughts on OcCre.  This makes my 2nd kit from this mfg.  One will notice putting hands on, OcCre does not try to go the big box scheme.  The package is just big enough to a contain well arranged contents.  The wood is sealed, which I like.  Think about how much moisture a kit has been exposed to before you open 🤔.   Packaging is done in a orderly fashion.  Wood...some of the best I have seen for a kit in this price range.  No splits, half cuts,wood strips that are twisted and/or splitting.  Written and photo instructions.

Subject matters that are interesting and their kits run the gambit.  I looked at the other kit for this and though same vessel,  I liked this one better.  Customer service.  Had a warped frame sheet for the Terror.  Emailed, 1 week later, had the sheet.  No questions asked.  What's not to like.  No, these are not the high dollar kits.  But for the price, you get alot of bang for the buck.

Edited by Titanicphile

The gluing begins.  Using good Ole Elmer's white glue for the frame build up.  The keel is MDF.  The balance is ply.  At one time I was not a MDF fan.  But like all things, time and experience can change one's mind.  As you see, keel is longer than my building slip.  But once the framework is complete, will use my thrusty keel camp from Amati.  

20220401_100502.jpg

For those building either this kit or Amati's, as suggested by member Paul Jarman, thank you Paul.  Go to Minibrass and be dazzled by their offerings.  Many different scales for a Titanic build.  One issue though.  They do not currently offer in 1/300 scale.  But if enough interest was shown.  Bet they would etch in brass one more scale. For the OcCre kit, you would have a replacement for the Skylights.

Check the site out.😃

I am very pleased w/bulkheads.  Appears all are setting straight and square.  Fortune has smiled 😃 for me.  Not a warped one in the lot.  You will notice some are proud of their slot.  That's  because the frame/keel is setting completely into slip.  Now, if one followed the instructions.  You would glue'em up🧐.  If I may make a suggestion!  Remove decks from carrier 1st, set them onto bulkheads and see if all lines up.  If so, now glue the whole shebang up.  Allow the glue to fully set up before you fiddle 🎻 with.  I usually give this 24 hours to completely set.  This saves alot of headaches down the road.  I will post pictures soon.

All deck sheets 9 of them have been set into their prospective locations.  Take your time, following the instructions and parts diagram.  This is almost a puzzle.  Played with it and found some smaller ones can be put into wrong spot.  Everything lines up and appears I can proceed to gluing up.  And yes, follow instructions and plank before you attach all deck pieces.

20220402_110220.jpg

20220402_110124.jpg

20220402_110050.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2022 at 5:35 PM, Titanicphile said:

I have contacted Tom's Modelworks to see if it was possible to request a custom order for their 1/350 Titanic PE set to be enlarged to 1/300.  The OcCre kit contains nice PE.  But Tom's set has some details that the OcCre set does not.  Have not had a response yet.  

Hello sir!  Will be following your progress on this classic, as I purchased the OcCre model a few months back when MS had it "on sale".  So, it's in the shipyard waiting for build clearance.  It may be awhile before it's turn, but definitely interested in watching how you do. 

I noticed in your pictures above, you display Peter Davies-Garner's RMS Titanic: A Modelmaker's Manual.  Has it been helpful?  Looks like you have the paperback version.  Any thoughts on paperback vs. hardcover?  I also ordered the electronic version of the book for only $2.99 from B&N.  I am sure you have seen the 34-part YouTube videos on construction of this 1:300 model, as well.  They make it look so easy! Ha!

Curious if you heard anything back from Tom's Modelworks on a 1:300 version of the PE set?

Thanks for allowing me to peek in!

Gregg

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin