Santa Maria Caravelle by GGibson - Ships of Pavel Nikitin - 1:48

AN ABBREVIATED "UNBOX" INTRO - I was recently internet surfing and looking at Olha Batchvarov's work again (I really enjoy reading her posts and watching her videos, and often pull up her work to get "re-inspired").  In a recent post, she mentioned working with Pavel Nikitin, so I found his website shipsofpavelnikitin.com, and saw the release of his version of the Santa Maria.  I then saw that Model Expo was distributing his Santa Maria in the US, and had to add it to my shipyard.

I know there is much discussion about the accuracy/authentication of the Santa Maria models and the caravelle vs. nao discussion.  As one of those "casual modelers", though, I am happy to work on something as historical as the Santa Maria, and Pavel Nikitin's reputation is exceptional, so I am absolutely pleased.

Placed the order and shipping was handled very quickly by Model Expo.  Kudos to them!

I have promised myself that I would not start the Santa Maria until I finish my Bluenose, but I had to open the box when I got it. Right?!?  So, here are a few observations...  First thing you notice right away, the box is H-E-A-V-Y!!!  Lots of parts!

240122a-BoxCover.jpg.fc0f72d0ecd5bb4b8542de13bb70d136.jpg

Box Cover

240122b-Contents.jpg.ff58f701a0ff539d3ece9ffab3635c2d.jpg

Box Contents Upon Opening

240122c-Booklet.jpg.30de7cc197708811e590637c956e51f3.jpg

92-page Manual (all diagrams, no text)

240122d-PlanSheet1.jpg.74e691f4f09591320c622849cc5ddfb6.jpg

Five (5) - 33"x46" Plan Sheets

240122e-PartsList.jpg.545084710a50a92bd8014eee0467eb73.jpg

Parts List (some info on backside, too)

240122f-NamePlate.jpg.7dbfd64a97a742613daaba58ba1c8f6e.jpg

Wooden Nameplate - Serial #11

Well, there it is!  Putting it up on the shipyard shelf for now.  It looks like there are no less than twelve (12) current or finished MSW build logs of the Santa Maria from various kits and in various scales, so there will be no lack of research support from previous builders.  I thank you all in advance!  And, looking forward to see if anyone else builds this Pavel Nikitin version (other than hopefully @shipphotographer.com Olha Batchvarov, once she completes the handful of ships ahead of this one in her queue).  I assume that at least serial numbers 2-10 are out there somewhere!

OK, back to my Bluenose so I can get to this build.

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

• 3 weeks later...

My kit number, which I organized a raffle on the channel, was #75)))

But I have the very first one in Kyiv, which I received back in the summer of 2022, when the model was at the stage of test construction...

Edited by Guest