Fore and aft rig question

clarkt

I've found that information and details of fore and aft rigging is considerably harder to locate than for a square rigged ship.  My question, at the moment, is this:  Could a single backstay have been shifted from one side of the ship to the other as needed to support the mast/topmast in changing conditions?  The ship is a single-masted sloop, a rather large example, at 94 tons, of a Hudson river-type sloop.  The profile and rig plan shows (from starboard) both topmast  and topgallant backstays running, one from the topmast, one from the topgallant mast, to a single double-block.  (That, in itself is surprising) That block is part of a tackle hooked to an eyebolt in the top of the planksheer aft of the shrouds.  the running end is then belayed on the bulwarks inboard.  The mainmast "running" backstay, runs from the lower masthead to a large single block which is part of a tackle that hooks to an eyebolt in the hull placing it just forward of the other backstays.  It too belays inboard on the  bulwarks.  A section drawing at the waist shows the topmast/TG backstays only on the starboard side; the main, running backstay is shown only on the port side, possibly for the sake of clarity(?)  In a similar way, a different section drawing shows the crossjack lift only on the starboard side channel, the boom lift only on the port channel.  Obviously the crossjack lifts would be on both sides.  Another picture indicates that the boom lifts are also on both sides, the very large boom/sail presumably needing both. Can anyone clear this up?   Thanks.

Clark, in the link below hover on "The Sloop" and then click "virtual tour" 

https://www.clearwater.org/the-sloop/history-and-specifications/attachment/sloop-specs/

Edited by Keith Black

It was common to have running backstays port and starboard. The windward stay was hauled taut to take the strain while the lee stay was slacked to allow the boom to swing. This was also sometimes done with the mainstay on schooners.

I don't know how you would transfer a backstay from one side to the other while tacking. With single stays the forestays and halliards would prevent swinging them in front of the mast, while the sail, boom and gaff would prevent moving them across aft of the mast.

Also, there would be a period when nothing was supporting the mast.

I'll be interested in seeing what you discover.

What you say makes perfect sense.  I had considered the difficulty of moving the backstays but know that the crews were capable of some amazing things.  You could drop the gaff and move quickly but probably not quickly enough.  I intend now to put backstays on both sides, although I'm still surprised the draftsman left out those details when he was so thorough, otherwise.  Thank you for your helpful input.

A fore and aft rigged boat relies on momentum to swing through the eye of the wind when tacking.  Anything that interferes with this momentum causes bad things to happen;  the boat gets stuck in irons or worse falls off and gets knocked down.

The proper commands for tacking a boat are Ready About followed by Helm’s Alee.  Ready about notifies the crew that the helmsman intends to tack.  The crew then stations themselves at their posts with whatever they need to do their jobs; winch handles, lines to be handled, etc.  The command helm’s alee means the the helmsman has begun to turn the boat into the wind.  Upon this command a good crew casts off and makes up lines such as jib sheets and running back stays seamlessly.  An awkward job like trying to transfer a backstay across the deck is poor seamanship and risks losing the rig.

A single running backstay is not possible.

Roger