HMS Victory by Quthinh - Mantua/Sergal - 1:78

Hi,

I’m a new member to this forum and this is my first attempt at wooden ship building. I have some experience with plastic model before (airplane, tank, car) but never dare to attempt a ship build before. The rigging (even for modern ship) scares me away.  Yet I’ve always been a ship fan especially those sailing ships. 

Years ago I visited the San Diego maritime museum where they displayed lots of ship models and wished I could work on one. Well, after searching on the internet, I came across a lot of scratch builds or kits that required wood working skill, which is way out of my league.  So I gave up on making one myself - If I came across this forum then, a different outcome would have taken place :)

About a month ago, I came upon a wooden ship built log by chance and it sparked my interest again. With some modeling experience on my belt, I thought I could give it another try. Not knowing where to buy wooden ship kit, I searched on ebay and craiglist and came across a half built HMS Victory, a perfect chance to get my feet wet. 

The hull and deck have been built though there are evidences that it was damaged from a fall (dented hull, etc). It was offered for what I thought a great deal so I drove 2hrs to pick it up, and here I am. 

in an effort to find info on the ship, I came to this forum, stared my new member into and my first half build log.  I got warm welcome from several members, and they helped me identify the manufacturer of my model. 

Here are the pictures of the ship when it came to my home.  My plan is to clean up the damages, verify the available parts and decide how to proceed without a manual. 

Some of you will say that this is no project for a beginner and I’m well aware of that.  My goal is to being persistent and start learning to get this done. It might take awhile due to life obligations , but the ship is in a place where I can work on it whenever I got time, so that’s a good start IMO. E047E150-E5C6-4479-8B15-1F0A1284102F.thumb.jpeg.52d6561f86014c36ae6e2644b2e27c66.jpeg

2129A957-BDA3-45C1-8401-0AD3F97FFC4A.jpeg

What a treasure to start with!  ... and so much tedious work already done for you.  With care the repairs can be done and there are several ways to go;  stub masts as an 'Admiralty model', first sections of masts with tops and shrouds/ratlines only,  fully masted with standing rigging or completely outfitted with sails.  A lucky break would be to find an incomplete kit somewhere to use as a trove of masting parts and fittings (and perhaps plans?).  You'll find plenty of builds and helpful information on MSW to guide you.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I see you have cleaned the old girl up a lot from her previous condition. You have a good foundation to start building on. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Remember to take your time.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Your model is off to a good start.  It looks like it was nicely built.  Feel free to ask the folks here when you are ready to repair the damaged areas.  You will get good advice on repair techniques.  I’m  sure the damage can be fixed where it will be hard to see the repaired area, with care and patience.  

Where you able to get the rest of the kit, including the masts and yards?

A couple of good books about the Victory with lots of helpful drawings are The Anatomy of Nelson’s Ships by Longridge,  and the Anatomy of the Ship HMS Victory (author?).  These are pretty easy to find and may even be at your local library.

I like seeing models like this get saved.  Best of luck with the Victory!  I’m looking forward to watching your progress.

Don

Thank you John, Jim and Don for your advice and encouragement. Right now I’m fixing the gun ports since I have the parts and it should be straight forward. 

I noticed something strange in the back of the ship and would like to know how to remove this wood panel (see picture). Seem like someone not knowing the ship just put it there.  I tried to remove it but it was glued well and I am afraid of breaking the ship if pushing too hard. Thanks. 

B396EC07-BE8F-4D8D-9208-520FD25E4F07.jpeg

Edited by QuThinh

Qu

Looks like gun port lids which I do not  believe would be there.  I am sure there are Victory experts here at MSW that can confirm or correct.  As a fan of Victory and Nelson,  I hope you sign up for the Trafalgar TV series    http://trafalgar.tv as in my signature below. 

Allan

HMS Victory - Nelson fell here | izi.TRAVEL

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU