I just got a kit (Lowell Grand Banks Dory) to be my first build. I am confused on the use of sealer and primer on the wood. I tried to google this topic but found contradictory information. Do I need to seal the wood and then prime it? or just one of the above?. I am use to prime canvas with gesso but I dont know if I can use that on wood models. Also I ran into all in one wood prep like Bullseye 123. I am very confused on what to do before I can start painting. Any suggestions in what to use and not to use as well as brands would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to MSW.   I would suggest a quick look at other builds of this model to see what they used or didn't use.  I really can't answer as I've done one wood model that was painted and all I did was white primer paint below the waterline and some flat varnish and then paint above the waterline.

Just two more suggestions... do an intro in the New Members Introduction area and then open a build log.  The log is a great way to get help and meet others.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Primer is for better adhesion, this is not necessary with wood specially if you are using acrylic. Myself I use a wood sealer (acrylic bases) called Americana by DecoArt less than $10 for 236ml (8fl oz). I used two different ways, first try I used to seal the wood and then paint, the second time

I used the sealer to thin the paint. Both time I had great results, used Vallejo paint. I also found out that Vallejo "Game colors" have better coverage.

The sealer is cheap enough that you can experiment without breaking the bank. 

15 hours ago, TheOnlyJuan said:

but found contradictory information. Do I need to seal the wood and then prime it? or just one of the above

You found contradictory information because this subject is more about opinion and what you are used to than it is a set formula.

It is also difficult to follow because there is zero discipline exercised with the definitions for the words.

If we could have a common agreed definition for sealer a useful one would be "a thick clear finish material that contains small solid particles whose function is to fill open pores in the wood species that have them, interact with the finish material so as to be translucent, and leave a glass smooth finish."

It is better to never use a species of wood that would need a sealer if the wood is to be clear finished.

If you are going to paint the wood, and it is an open pore species (that is being used anyway) a filler then sanded smooth will do what a sealer does.

A primer reduces the number of coats of paint needed on a raw surface.  If you are painting a room with an expensive paint, a low cost primer coat may save you money.  This factor is not a significant one at model scales.   But multiple thin coats may serve better than one thick one.

A traditional first coat over raw wood is 50% diluted shellac.  It is compatible with just about any follow on material. It is easy to apply.

Maybe not necessary, but no real downside.

For most of us, a sealer is probably best reserved for those building full size furniture.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers