Mayflower by LCdr Dave - Billing Boats - 1:60

Posted (edited)

Good day,

Nice tops You made!

Your question about blocks...

"  The rigging drawing shows a couple of blocks hanging from the bottom of the trestle tree with now part numbers. They seem to be part of the running rigging attached to the spars. I think using eyebolts to attach the blocks will be the way to go - there is no indication on the drawing. ..."     

Which one, these blocks ? Could You show them on the drawing?

Most often, such blocks  , under the tops, used for buntlines and leechlines rigging lines...

All the best!

Kirill

Edited by kirill4

Probably there are no such blocjs at all need to be attached here...

look at these drawings from some german book , unfortunately I don't know who is the author of this book

1a2473345bee.jpg

5f73d1064d71.jpg

8f78ca441b86.jpg

17a76a785ee3.jpg

55a91b29a87a.jpg

731db06cc2fb.jpg

38162b6269fa.jpg

56944d21e31e.jpg

3258524a224c.jpg

6160450f0f96.jpg

664449825f1f.jpg

a83549d7f845.jpg

ae38b17db0b9.jpg

bd92cadffa6f.jpg

ccac539ea0e4.jpg

fad1a6d6d694.jpg

ab894e0dedd4.jpg

If only I could read German! 🙂

One of the blocks takes line #27 (brace?) which is anchored somehow under the top, I think. The other one takes #34 I think, which seems to be a tackle ? 
on the foremast, these would be #10 and 13 I think. 
Trying to figure out how much I need to attach before stepping the masts so I don’t end up trying to tie tiny knots in hidden spots. 
I have attached pics of my drawings. 

IMG_2825.thumb.jpeg.e981096183a6f52a2d581d09b46a12ec.jpeg

IMG_2826.thumb.jpeg.97b5a6a879359dbac74882ffc0d1e718.jpeg

thanks for looking,

Dave

LCdr Dave

Current Build: Mayflower - Billing Boats

Posted (edited)

Dave I think line 10 and 27 are for controlling the yardarm. And 13 and 34 are for the bow lines. My Mayflower is rigged different,  but the lines your talking about are tied on to the top of the block,  on the mast then run to  block at the yardarm and back though the one on the mast then down to a cleat  on the mast. The same for the Bowlines.  You did  nice work on the mast tops , looking forward to seeing it finished. 

Hope that make sense. As far as how much to leave , we all rig different,  I like to leave lots hanging over the side with  clips to hold them till I am ready to tie everything of.

Man I hope that's right lol   :cheers:

Bob M

Edited by Knocklouder
More info

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Posted (edited)

Good day Dave,

Lines 10,27 -they are just fore and main course lifts , for correct rigging see apropriate pages in Anderson book, or drawing" fig.49 Toppnanten,Schoten.".. from that german book I posted above.

By the way, in your kit drawings they wrongly shown running lines 11, and 28, which supposed to be topsail sheets... there should be two blocks rigged very close to each other (in english fashion) on the yard arms end -  bigger one -for topsail sheet and smaller for passing  lifts line...all details of this arrangements clearly explained in Anderson book and could be seen  on that fig.49 as well..

Lines 13,34 - leechlines or martnets - see Anderson P168-169 or  see page 64 fig 53 poz 67,66,65 in that german book scans which I posted above.

As You could see, for this period, no leading blocks supposed to be secured to the top crosspiece as shown in your kit drawings, all these blocks need to be secured to the fore and main stays loops under the top , and lead blocks for fore and main / lifts running end , as a rule , stropped to the long strope to the mast tope above shrouds loops(fig.31 block A), and block itself attached to this long strope was placed bellow top platform... there are a few pictures and explanation much better than mine :)))  about it in Anderson book...

All the best!

By my opinion, those pictures from german book in combination with Anderson book( I see this german  author very closely followed Anderson guides in rigging)  , are very handy for rigging your MF... better use them than kit drawings for your model rigging...

All the Best!

Kirill

Edited by kirill4

Kirill, you have outdone yourself again! Thank you so much for the info and guidance. Taking the time to scan those drawings and provide the detailed instructions takes time and effort - I can’t say thank you enough. 

I’m learning so much about rigging and model ship building - it’s awesome.

Bob, thanks for keeping an eye out for me. You did a great job finishing your MF. I can only hope to come close.

Cheers,

Dave

LCdr Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I redid the gammoning in what should be a better-scaled rope size. Then I finished up the masts (minus cleats) and I still have to decide on how the yards are to be hung. I think ropes through the hounds are the way to go vs jeers. Anderson does mention jeers but I can’t figure out the arrangement. 
I am unwilling to completely redesign the model and am not looking for an accurate replica so I am OK with carrying some inaccuracies forward. I did opt to make new deadeyes for the stays since these are obvious. 

IMG_2846.thumb.jpeg.2bf4974c62f2edc5287d986993efe62b.jpeg

I laminated two pieces of wood, drew a pattern based on Anderson’s measurements, and filed them to shape. 

IMG_2848.thumb.jpeg.edbd98c47b48d8b8fb4d25618343e792.jpeg

The finished one compared to the kit-provided. 
IMG_2849.thumb.jpeg.9e77e8645258a95e5327f3ac6bb87666.jpeg

Thanks for looking. 
Cheers,

Dave

LCdr Dave

I’m just starting the rigging on my Billing Mayflower, which has a dearth of instruction or info. The forestay collar, according to Baker, is “secured around the bowsprit with a deadeye seized in”. I cannot see how to actually tie this. I tried (and maybe my piece of rope was too short) but after an hour of fumbling I just had two severely frayed ends and nothing tied. Should I make a loop, and seize the ends together and then insert the deadeye and seize it in? I was trying to seize the two ends at the bottom of the deadeye but maybe it needs two steps…

IMG_2859.thumb.jpeg.8c82ac7a9a28a02235d031306b8989b9.jpeg

IMG_2858.thumb.jpeg.5dd067499ecfeb205dd63d4ef8204901.jpeg

thanks for looking. 
Dave

LCdr Dave

1 hour ago, LCdr Dave said:

according to Baker

have I written a book? 😉

image.png.64efc48b369deda24d0adc1d5365e73c.png

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Patrick, if you haven’t, maybe you should. 
So…..I won’t be wrapping the rope but how did you actually go about tying the deadeye in?

BTW, I really like your hole pattern

Dave

LCdr Dave

Good day Dave,

I liked your variant "A "!

All the best!

Kirill

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LCdr Dave said:

Patrick, if you haven’t, maybe you should. 
So…..I won’t be wrapping the rope but how did you actually go about tying the deadeye in?

BTW, I really like your hole pattern

Dave

When an old men makes a drawing on a smartphone ...🤣

Bleu = seize

Screenshot_20240620_222947_Chrome.jpg.e677c54ac68932acc110248a6ef10219.jpg

Kirill is more professional 😉

Edited by Baker

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posted (edited)

Good day,

Your Variant A looks not so bad...!!!

First I also used this one, but later on I cganged my mind and borrowed idea from Batavia ship replica rigging... :)...

I could suggest first to prepair piece of rope with imitation of parcelling , than making kind of loop of necessary diameter from preliminary processed thread ( have been painted by artistic oil  or acryl paints of suitable color and semi parcelled and painted again - painted threads much easy to work with, and they look more realistic than just unprocessed thread taking strait from the spool), let it good dry ,than making diagonal cutt in place of future connection and to glue them here by CA gel( not liquid CA).... for more reliable connection You can apply set of seizing here by simple knots applied very close to each other at this place... for making seizing better to use some kind of very thin mono thread or very thin any kind of thread , than thiniest than better which You could find...!

Edited by kirill4

Posted (edited)

Good day,

Dave,

There are a few photo of W.Barents ship replica...

there are also a couple of working ideas how to secure lower part of the stay gear

- one - attaching main stay to the fore mast and

another one - connecting fore stay to the bowsprit....actually both could be used for connecting fore stay ... 

Screenshot_20240621_091835_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240621_091932_Gallery.jpg

Edited by kirill4

Posted (edited)

Hello. Having inventing this "my way of seizing" I would suggest to take a look in the below sketches.

A. Shows how you should fold the thread around the bowsprit if there are already other rigging stuff alongside. It also shows the "premade" seizing, from which all the thread's edges should pass.

Here the seizing is off the tool but it would be easier if you pass all the edges of the threads while the seizing is on the tool.

B. Shows the already placed seizing (still a bit loose) and the deadeye in the upper loop.

C. Shows that first you have to tighten the maine thread and then the thread of the seizing.

At the end there will be a double loop around the bowsprit and a single one around the deadeye.

Cut all edges and a bit of glue will secure the whole set.

I hope it could be helpful.

Thx

Rope.JPG.d00de7f9fb051514b2e4174705ca828f.JPG

Edited by Thanasis

Posted (edited)

All  these performed examples are good... but, consider ,there are a few realy arrangements things which they works , on the full size vessels...  Batavia replica, and Swain ( W.Barents ship replica) ... but how it was arranged on MF replica?

Dave, If You will found something interestings,  please give us actual arrangements of MF replica as it shown on the photoes..?

This part of connecting fore stay and bowsprit and MS tay and F mast sray znd bowsprit ???

There must be here a lot of pictures of this thing in the  internet....? ... may be there would be a photos of Susan Constant replica pictures, Half Moen replica, Golden Hind replica and  so on .?where we could see later on such   their rigging details and so on... that would be very interesting!

All The Best !

Kirill

Edited by kirill4