Finding miniature bolts

I am working on the Norwegian Pram from Model Shipways.

The kit includes 16 brass nails.  However, the instructions call for bolts.  I know nails can represent bolts, but there are 2 issues.

1.  The pictures show very attractive round heads, whereas the nails are flat.

2.  More importantly, the nails are very wide just below the heads and even the diameter of the rest of the shaft is too large for the brass fittings in the kit.

Where can I buy better-looking “bolts”?

Thanks!

Try Model Motorcars website. They purchased Scale Hardware and have a wide variety of small bolts and rivets.

https://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/collections/small-parts-hardware/bolts

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Try prime-minatures.co.uk they do tiny nots and bolts.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

I just did a quick search and found a source in the United States and another in Canada for taps and dies down to 0.0118" diameter which is UNM 0.3 thread.  This would be the equivalent of about a 1/2" bolt at 1:48.  Would this be small enough for your project?     There are probably comparable sources where you live if you are not a resident of Canada or the United States.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

I just did a quick search and found a source in the United States and another in Canada for taps and dies down to 0.0118" diameter which is UNM 0.3 thread.  This would be the equivalent of about a 1/2" bolt at 1:48.  Would this be small enough for your project?     There are probably comparable sources where you live if you are not a resident of Canada or the United States.  

Allan

I’ll look into that.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

I recently purchased 1mm brass nuts, 50 for under $2.00  and 1mm machine screws

Hi Mike

Are the nuts 1mm outside dimension or are the screws 1mm diameter?  1mm is nearly 2" at 1:48 scale so larger than probably would be appropriate if being to scale is a consideration.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.  

For 1:12 scale they seem pretty reasonable.   But at 1:48 they are gigantic with the head is 3.3" and the flat to flat on the nut is 4.5". 

Allan 

From your original post, I believe that you are not actually looking for bolts; a headed fastener with a shank threaded to accept a nut.  You seem to be looking for a nail that is small enough to go thru the hole in the photo etch.  You would like it to have a bolt shaped head.

Carriage bolts have dome shaped heads.  You might try making your own.  Here’s how:

Get some brass wire that fits through the holes in the photo etch.  Solid brass, not brass plated.

Hold a length of wire with a pair of pliers vertically over a hot flame.  The end of the wire that is in the flame should form a ball.

After cooling, cut to length.

For added realism, drill a hole in a piece of steel.  The wire should slide easily into the hole.  After placing the wire into the hole, the round head should be sticking up, tap the head with a hammer to partially flatten it.

Roger

2 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

From your original post, I believe that you are not actually looking for bolts; a headed fastener with a shank threaded to accept a nut.  You seem to be looking for a nail that is small enough to go thru the hole in the photo etch.  You would like it to have a bolt shaped head.

Carriage bolts have dome shaped heads.  You might try making your own.  Here’s how:

Get some brass wire …

I’ll try that.  The pictures in the kit instructions show a round head, so a carriage bolt is more appropriate.

Thanks!

Mark,

I have some tiny brass nails with round/domed heads that are 7, 10 and 12 mm long. The diameter of the wire in the 7mm parts is 0.020" (0.5 mm) and the heads are 0.052" diameter (1.3 mm). This is 2.5 inches (6.35 cm) at 1:48 scale. I have been using them to represent round bolt heads on my 1:48 scale build and they look respectable.

I have had them for years (pre Internet) and cannot remember where I got them. But it was a hobby shop or mail order shop that carried hobby supplies. Doll house stores might carry them. Some ship model kits come with these tiny brass nails, so you might search through kit manufacturer's web sites.

Small nails with domed heads are also called  escutcheon pins.