Blocks and belaying pins and handedness

Is there a method for rigging the blocks belaying pins etc that you follow as I can't get the shrouds to lye the right way and keep it right handed... or is it left handed on port, right handed on starboard? I don't think a seaman worth his salt would cross a line like I did on the picture below.

20220817_125751.jpg

I am sorry I don't have much of an answer other than to run your ringers down the line to be sure there is no twist before belaying.  

Can you share what vessel this is?  You mention these are shrouds, thus standing rigging.   Having the two blocks so close to the belaying pins is a new one for me as is having any standing rigging secured to a belaying pin.  I would love to learn more about this so thanks in advance.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Two things I see here. 

First, you are reeving your blocks upside down. The throat of the blocks, or hole that the line goes through should be at the furthest extremes from each other. You have them upside down in their strops. Fixing this should help your blocks stay straighter.

Second, for the forward most shroud, simply reeve the tackle so that the working end comes out of the sheave on the same side as the belaying pin. That will eliminate the crossing effect.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

I am far from an expert but shouldn’t the shrouds be fixed to the channel with deadeyes and chainplates?  Shrouds are standing rigging and are not held with blocks as far as I have seen but then again I am only working on my third model. I don’t think I can call myself knowledgeable yet. 
Tom