Graphic Novels depicting Sail Ships (XVIII and XIX centuries) (moved by moderator)

Folks,

there are currently on the French Market some graphic novels depicting the kind of ships the members of this forum enjoy to build. These novels are extremely well drawn and the attention to details is outstanding. The stories are quite often riveting and the reader has a hard time waiting for the next installment of the series.

I believe that some of these series have been translated in German but I am not sure about the English language. Even though you may not read French, the drawings themselves are a treat and would justify the purchase of one or many albums.

I wanted to introduce you to two artists:

1) Jean-Yves Delitte who is the official artist for the French National Marine Museum and Collections. Jean-Yves produced three series Belem, U-Boat and Black Crow and I have uploaded the front covers of the albums:

vt3e.jpg

wxu3.jpg

ziid.jpg

q1vb.jpg

as well as some pictures to show his talents:

pi6t.jpg

Jean-Yves also authored two books about some famous ships:

iq9m.jpg

3o19.jpg

2) the second artist is Marc Bourgne who has produced a very large quantities of graphic novels and seems recently to dedicate his time and talents to the series Pirates of Baratavia:

rm06.jpg

v7g6.jpg

coer.jpg

39yn.jpg

l0ee.jpg

f5xf.jpg

Here again, the drawings are extremely beautiful and the plots riveting:

9caf.jpg

o9ef.jpg

I encourage you to procure one or a few of these albums and enjoy the adventures of Corsairs, Pirates, British, American and French naval forces as well as romances and intrigues.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

The draughtsmanship looks first class and it does look as if the illustrator-author has done his research. I particularly like the lower illustration in the double-page spread you posted.

Be interesting to see if the French editions are readily available in the UK, though I guess the European Bookshop off Regents Street, London, should be able to get them easily.

Thanks for drawing our attention to these!

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010

Bill,

Amazon has the books. They are in French so you have to learn or freshen up the language skills. :piratebo5:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry