Le Soleil Royal by Bill97 - FINISHED - Heller - 1/100

Envision a scenario whereby the ship is underway and exercising the great guns.  Picture this - The 1st Lieutenant orders the guns to be exercised by division.  The second LT, who is in charge of the second deck battery, orders the first division, in this case it could be the first four guns on the port side, to prime, load, and fire.  He will compare their best time with the other divisions for a bit of competition.

Bottom line. Display them however you choose.  Anything can be justified with a good narrative.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

On 10/16/2023 at 8:49 PM, Bill97 said:

Henry I like your narrative. I think I remember that narrative in Master and Commander.

Off topic but this reminded me .......

Remember the Aubrey book where Jack buys some gunpowder from a firecracker company going out of business, to use for great gun practice because the Admiralty doe not allot enough extra powder for training? He has Bonden and his gun crew demonstrate how fast a cannon can be reloaded and fired, but the gun crew is stopped in their tracks when the gun fires a great cloud of brightly coloured smoke with an unusual bang? Then they go down the side firing by turns, in green, blue, red, etc, with the onlooking crew in stitches?  One of the great scenes O'Brien made up. One of my other favourites is the time at Sunday Divisions when Jack is pacing before the ranks of the crew for inspection, with the bosun's cat pacing in front of him.

Edited by Ian_Grant

My friends I just happened to scroll back to the beginning of my build log and I see that this past weekend was one year since starting my Soleil Royal. What a fantastic adventure it has been with all of your help. Can’t imagine how many hours I have invested so far, with many more to go. On a previous build I thought I should keep a log of my hours just to eventually see how many.  But then I thought who cares? The pleasure is in the adventure! 

Picture this - The 1st Lieutenant orders the guns to be exercised by division.  The second LT, who is in charge of the second deck battery, orders the first division, in this case it could be the first four guns on the port side, to prime, load, and fire.  He will compare their best time with the other divisions for a bit of competition.

Henry I liked your scenario. In my display the 2LT ordered the 2nd Division to prime, load, and fire. 1st and 3rd Divisions are at rest with hatches closed. 1st Division has already fired, pulled cannons back, and closed the hatches. 3rd Division is waiting anxiously for their orders. The exercise includes the opening and closing of the hatches in the drill for best time. Last time 3rd Division won by more than 85 seconds!  This lead to a couple reassignments of members of the 1st and 2nd Divisions to permanent deck scrubbing until further notice. Needless to say 1st Division was much better this time and we are waiting to see how 2nd Division performs.  The 2nd Division does deploy 2 more cannons than the 1st and 3D, but they are the most highly trained. 😊

I also closed the hatch on the side gallery. 

IMG_3869.jpeg

IMG_3870.jpeg

IMG_3871.jpeg

IMG_3872.jpeg

IMG_3873.jpeg

IMG_3874.jpeg

Edited by Bill97

I see the appeal in a simplified dockyard style, but I find the sheer of the model to be a little stiff, and the transition from quarters to stern to be a little rough.  Some may say I’m being unfair, but full lines plans exist for the ship.  I don’t understand, in the computer age, why that is so difficult an ask for kit manufacturers.  We know what the ship is supposed to look like!  And, as often is the case - the masting and spar plan are a complete afterthought.  $1,700?  Not for me.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

I am very happy with my Heller Victory I finished last year. I do have an OcCre kit in my stash that I will start after I complete my SR. It will be my first attempt at a wooden ship that I am looking forward to. I will watch for anyone that builds this ship though. 

Finished the cannon hatch covers all around. Repeated the 4-6-4 layout on the starboard side as I did on the port side. Opened the four hatches on the stern. Making all the little metal eyebolts for all the hatches, and lashing the pair of lanyards for each cover (opened and closed), was right up there with tying ratlines. 😊.  Also added the fleur-de-leis to each of the open hatch covers. 

Doing a little kit inventory. I know I still have the lanterns to add later. I would surly break them off if I added them now. From what I can tell I think I am primarily going to be working on the yards, sails, and rigging from now on. 

IMG_3894.jpeg

IMG_3895.jpeg

IMG_3896.jpeg

IMG_3899.jpeg

IMG_3898.jpeg

IMG_3897.jpeg

IMG_3900.jpeg

IMG_3901.jpeg

IMG_3902.jpeg

IMG_3903.jpeg

Edited by Bill97

STUDSAIL/STAYSAIL/STUNSAIL

Making a command decision here but will be wait to have my mind changed.

Reading through Anderson’s Chapter 11, he is not a big fan of these spars on a model ship. According to him history shows they were just coming into use about the time the SR was built. Page 253 he states that he is not at all sure early stunsails dad yards. French drawings show the lower stunsails hoisted by the two corners. 

I plan to add sails to my model (probably furled) but not stunsails. With that in mind, reading through Anderson’s chapter, and realizing the difficulty of making and attaching the new spars vs the kit plastic, I have decided to leave these spars off of my yards. 

Your thoughts and/or opinion?

Spending my time now making and adding the rigging to the yards (foot ropes, blocks, etc). Of course while working on these my mind is on the future parrals we have previously discussed. I know I am going to need to make them and hopefully rig them with some bit of realism. I have read through the section in Anderson’s book and studied krill4’s diagram above. I also went back to my reference book for the HMS Victory (Longridge’s book). Interesting in the building of the Victory parrals were not used on the fore and main yards. Just the topsail yards and the topgallant yards.  

For ships of HMS Victory vintage, there is no expectation of lowering the course yards on a regular basis, hence no need for parrals.  There remains a need to truss the yard in towards the mast so truss tackles ( or tackle truss?) are employed.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Yes, the older method of increasing or decreasing sail was to add or subtract from the bottom of the sail. The exact opposite of reefing which is essentially reducing the sail at the top of the sail.  With the old method the lower yard had to be movable on a regular basis. The parral provides rollers to assist in lowering the yard while maintaining control.

When reefing became more of the norm, lowering the course yards was no longer necessary. Le Soleil Royale was right at that transitional phase when reefing started to come into use.  BTW, reefing causes footropes to start being used also.  Before that the sailor used to walk out along the top of the yard.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

From what I can gather, from at least the mid-1680’s onward, the French were single-reefing main courses and double reefing topsails.

Here, evident on RL 1692:

IMG_3732.thumb.jpeg.b6b2f51306a3d1e27b7495cdbc5666fa.jpeg

The men loosing the fore course appear to be standing on foot-ropes, but the same are not discernible on the topsail yards.

Jean Boudriot shows reef points and foot ropes for his L’Ambiteaux of 1680.  Lemineur shows reef points, foot-ropes and lower course bonnets for his St. Philippe of 1693:

IMG_3448.jpeg.5866154b61820178f2b67e1876fcc02f.jpeg

IMG_3447.jpeg.c149c4f6fc3bdd7e2af762a2377c566f.jpeg

Lastly, the Malaga Scroll (1704) representing SR 1693 shows reef points:

IMG_5090.jpeg.e18799905f56adac06aeaea9ab39995a.jpeg

We are all works in progress, all of the time.