Mayflower by Bill97 - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/60 Scale - PLASTIC

Well here goes!  I received the Trumpeter 1/60 Mayflower as a surprise gift. I patiently waited as a finished my Revell 1/100 Man O War. Now that it is finished and proudly displayed in it’s case I am ready for the Mayflower. 
I have never built a Trumpeter model, and in fact had not heard of the company prior to receiving the kit.  I understand this Mayflower is the largest scale of the historic ship. It is huge with the hull being over 18” long. I have yet to begin gluing parts together so I don’t yet know how well Trumpeter model pieces fit together. Once I start I will report on that. However on first examination I am very pleased with the molding of the parts. Little or no flash to speak of. Parts clearly labeled. the instructions are simple drawings with arrows and numbers. Very limited text instructions so having experience from other builds will certainly be helpful. I would have found this very difficult if it were my very first build because of the limited text. There are 2 new techniques I will need to learn for this build. I will have to make my own ratlines. My previous builds had the premolded ratlines. I also will have to rig the deadeyes to attach the ratlines to the side of the ship and up in the masts. I will definitely be referring to MSW for technical advice on doing these two new skills. I began priming hull and deck sections with Vallejo surface primmer. Will be painting with Vallejo acrylics. 

4CA5C117-B95D-4DB2-88B2-1904B3738EBE.jpeg

6CB8DD25-E09E-417D-AD46-295B2CAC2059.jpeg

0D77AB89-C6D0-4617-8F9A-70E070D0451A.jpeg

E02A4C05-3AB4-4D2D-BDFA-4AD0ED56C4F1.jpeg

F60EF053-52F2-4F41-86AD-80FAF5918BB9.jpeg

Looks a nice model.
Have already made some military models of Trumpeter in 1/72. The fitting of the parts was good, no problems.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Trumpeter has been in the plastic kits game for a long time and is particularly known for their steel navy kits. I noticed right away that the molding of your kit's hull looks very good and appears to have a nice level of detail. I also like that they used a tan-colored styrene instead of the more commonly seen black or dark brown used for sailing men-of-war kits. I think that will make things easier when it comes to painting. One thing I might suggest, though, is that you replace the deadeyes -- they don't look nearly so nice, and replacing them should not be difficult.

Have fun on your project!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Thanks ccoyle and Backer for your comments. I have begun the process of painting the deck pieces. Started with primer for each piece and then weathering. Coming out nicely so far. I have seen several different color palettes different builders have used as well as pictures of Mayflower II in dock. Will probably use a variation of different ideas. Also started putting the canons together. Ccoyle I may take your advice and research some new deadeyes. 

95F6CDA6-D3AC-482D-85A1-DA854596BEA0.jpeg

FC55C7CC-10D8-450C-9C9F-673B0526D1F8.jpeg

39F9414D-85C4-4A88-8A78-3195165EB8F5.jpeg

C641AEA3-762D-4FFD-8C70-29AEE0D458BE.jpeg

D06838E9-79DE-4F10-8183-41FBD02897D0.jpeg

073BEA32-91C9-444F-9C0E-D466C871AB16.jpeg

0746D858-F24B-4234-B3DC-6A3051BEAD00.jpeg

9F9D42C5-17DB-4ABC-95EA-02844A2012CF.jpeg

It's great the kit doesn't have too much excess flashing...looks like a fun kit to work with and I especially like the window and door details.

Good luck with your build, looking forward to more progress pics!

Cheers

10 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Will have to do a little research for a suitable idea/technique

Take a look in your mailbox ;)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Got it Backer. Thanks. That should help. Was surprised to find (or not find should I say) fabricated pieces for that. They are shown in the instruction drawings (without a part number) but are no where in the kit. This will be my first build where I make my own shrouds and ratlines along with rigging the necessary deadeyes. So I guess it appropriate to make the chains as well. All these new skills I learn with each new build (Mayflower is my 5th) will go along way when I tackle the Heller 1/100 HMS Victory early next year!

I have always wondered if the Mayflower (the original one) that departed from England to the North East Coast of America, was equipped with guns.

I understand that the hull may have had ports, but really wonder if the first emigrants out of England, had the space and need for eight large guns, inside the hull. I know there was a lot of food, tools, chickens, goats and close to 100 people. 

Could an expert comment on this?

Thanks

Yves 

Edited by yvesvidal

Yvesvidal the model actually has 10. There are 4 on each side and two on the back. In some of my research I have read the pilgrims took a more northern route across the North Atlantic instead of a more calm route near the Caribbean in hopes of avoiding piracy. With that in mind they may have wanted to be prepared in case of being attached. I have the same curiosity about if to display the cannons are have the ports closed?

Here are two links on the internet that have some information on the Mayflower’s cannons:

https://www.plimoth.org/explore/mayflower

http://mayflowerhistory.com/cross-section

I do not know about the accuracy of the information — no bibliography was given.

Working on the color palette for the hull. Most of the color scheme, even though not the exact colors, I derived from watching YouTube videos of the Mayflower II replica. Went being Vallejo burnt umber below the water line, then white above the water line. From there up I am using two varying wood tone shades from darker to lighter. I still need to paint the two stripes that remain as primer. The top one will be a green stripe and the lower one a red stripe. I also still need to hand paint all the white and black raised areas between each row. I will most likely then go back and weather the hull with a little black wash before applying a top coat of Vallejo flat varnish. The majority of this painting is by airbrush. I don’t know if it is the same for you guys but I spend way more time masking and prep then I ever do airbrushing the paint. 

F833C3FA-DE7A-4F45-B055-8F55BCD3340D.jpeg

1DC9FB14-B70D-43A4-8A63-284DF5B515C9.jpeg

9A281F58-FEBB-4CD0-8971-EB97D073FD53.jpeg

Thanks rkwz. I probably have more patience than I have a steady hand!  I definitely do not hurry my builds. Being an older retired guy I enjoying filling my time with this great hobby and do not hurry to finish a build. The hand is still somewhat steady but not as much as in my younger years. 😊

Good day!

Nice painting job, very accurate!

Нave question about under water part color...

Never see before such color scheme for underwater part, white-black? ...as I know in Tudor time under water part  usually covered with a dark, black-brown compound- such color You could see on Antony roll fo example, but later on ,starting from Elizabethuan period , components of this compaund were changed,and color became white-greish color... on the model it could be shown as white ( with add of grey and ochra color...)

This combination of both colors looks very unusual...

Why did You use such two colors scheme?

il_fullxfull.698050689_dl87.jpg

Mayflower-for-individual-gallery-page.jpg

I agree with Kirill.
Mixed colors below the waterline are very unusual

Ps,

very nice paintwork  :imNotWorthy:

Regards, Patrick

A couple more photos. Deciding where to put the waterline was tricky. I did some research and found advice to be that the waterline should be painted right about where the hull bows out at its widest part. So with that in mind I used a little improvised foam cup and pencil to draw a line around the hull at that height. I then painted burnt umber below the waterline and white above it. So in my color scheme the white is not below the waterline, it is the waterline. What do you think? Thoughts, opinions, advice are always appreciated. 

0D9E5770-B7BF-4FB8-A666-A14993D9F0A2.png

734EC6BE-BBF6-4BD5-93E9-4D3C6DF2D5A3.png

87BE1294-DEC2-430B-B72A-F6093080145E.png

Good day,

Dear Bill

By my opinion, 

there are two ways,

A

if You making exact model of replica Mayflower II , than bottom part need to painted as You did, as they did it on real replica

B

if You making just hystorical model of Mayflower , as piligrimm vessel , than 

entire botom part of the hull need to be painted white...

No, not white but let's say white-grayish  ...

- this white -greyish color will simulate color of protecting substance which used in 16-17 centures to protect under water part of the hull against ''sea worms''...

of cause this will be very simplified simulation of protection coating, when model will be painted this white-grayish,

while real underwater coating consisted of several layers of different materials finished with thin wooden planks or even ,more often, lead sheets...

I think creators of  Mayflower II replica did this white color painting for hystoric acuracy only, but real underwater modern protection layer has this red-brown color...

I don't think we need to reproduce it( this two color painting underwater part) on the model...

And as I know, in this time there it was not ness-ry to draw waterline in modern style yet... just to paint grey-white entire hull till first strake...

detailed and very interesting information about construction Mayflower II  and 17 centure shipbuilding You could find in this book , writen by creator of Mayflower replica

01 Mayflower 2 painting.JPG

Mayflower 2 painting.JPG

Edited by kirill4

Good day,

Before repaint ,it better  to be tested on some piece of plastic or back side of the decks plate for example ,using the same paint  as before...

If result will be good, than model could be repainted ... or if there is a risk to destroy painted , just leave it without repaint...

also , first may be need to paint all surface by same dark brown color,and to repaint white after?

My idea (without obligation of course)

The original model will likely have been painted white below the waterline. There are archaeological findings that confirm that ships from about that time have a layer of "white stuff" below the waterline.

The replica is a different story. It looks like the hull below the waterline has been treated with a modern protective layer (I don't know much about modern iron ships, but these days they also have this color below the waterline.

Just above the waterline, the replica is white. Once launched it looks like the hull has been correctly painted and the underwater part is well protected with modern paint.

The original mayflower I was white below the waterline when she was built

https://mayflowereventnews.com/1957-the-reception/

https://mayflowereventnews.com/1957-television-news/

The first voyage

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Dear Backer,

Thanks for the links!:)))

As we could see there are a few modern things implemented on replica bu authority requests which couldn't be seen on contemporary vessels of that period - steering wheel, foot ropes, some of ratlines made from wood planks...

in that book which I refered early author of the Mayflower replica explained why such modernization were done ...