Le Soleil Royal by Bill97 - FINISHED - Heller - 1/100

Henry I expect you are referring to the slack bowlines on the fore and main sail. I tried painting them with diluted white and hung a weight on them as they dried. Still when I removed the weights I got some kinks. May try giving multiple coats to see how that does. 

I have one line left I am curious about. In the photos I attached there is line #1191. In the instructions it goes from the mizzenmast down to the bottom of a the flag pole. It looks like a stay of some sort. Not sure if standing rigging or running rigging, or a complete Hellerism!  Any ideas?

IMG_4339.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

Edited by Bill97

Thanks Henry. No. I rigged 1040 the way you guys advised a ways back in the blog. How about line #1114?  It is the line that goes from the bottom corner of the sail. Heller has a block at the bottom of the flagpole that a tackle reeves through. The more I look at it the more I wonder. 

image.jpg

IMG_4344.jpeg

Edited by Bill97

Bill,

1114 is the mizzen sheet and you are correct it would not be fastened to the flag staff.  It would have an eyebolt in the deck for the lower block and a cleat for belaying.  But, if you find moving it would be a hassle, leave it there.  It is the least offensive of the three that Heller wants to belay on the flag staff.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Here you can see what I did. I put an eyebolt on the starboard side of the flagpole for the lower block. I put another eyebolt on the port side of the flagpole to act as a tie down since I have exhausted mysupply of cleats. A rope coil will be added to the tie down later. Finished rigging the mizzenmast. 

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4345.jpeg

IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4347.jpeg

IMG_4348.jpeg

Ian I am not sure I know what a taffrail/transom is?

According to Google it is:   The handrail around the open deck area toward the stern of a ship.

in the case of the SR there is no handrail, just the stern plate, I guess?  At any rate the only connection point is the base to the deck. The red block in my photo. 

Edited by Bill97

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

snip..snip>

At any rate the only connection point is the base to the deck. The red block in my photo. 

Hard to believe there wouldn't be a brace to the stern plate at the upper end of the "lower flagstaff" (as opposed to the "flag top-staff"???).

Even more basic question; why are there two parts to the flagstaff, with a little "cap", at all?  Seems like another Hellerism to me. Perhaps Marc has some historical prints which shed some light on this.

At this point I believe that is a Hellerism I am going to live with since I have it in place and rigged around it. 

Doing an inventory of all the belay points to see if any empty ones are accidental omissions. So far so good. Just need to make the tackle between the fore and mainmast. Then several hours of delicate paint touch up, trimming loose ends and make a bazillion coils to hang at the belay points, add the lanterns to the stern, and make decisions about the boats. A lot to go but in the stretch, to use a Kentucky Derby term. 

IMG_4349.jpeg

Edited by Bill97

What do you guys think?  I picked up this set of figurines from Artesania Latina. The L. Hermione La Fayette. The scale is slightly different than my SR. The scale of the set is 1/86 compared to the SR 1/100. The period of the set is mid 1700’s where the SR is late 1600’s. However the uniforms are still French naval officers and sailors. Thinking about using them as crew on my SR. 

IMG_4365.jpeg

Prieser makes figures in 1:100 scale, but they have to be heavily modified to look like 17th C. sailors.  I thought the old Revell Spanish/English galleon kits came with figures in 1:96.  Might be worth seeing if you can locate those on the market somewhere.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Gentlemen here is a handful of pictures. Except for adding the crewmen and deciding if I am going to put the boats on board, I think my SR is very very close to finished!  I am sure I will find a few threads here and there that need to be trimmed, belay points that still need a coil, and a touch up bit of paint here and there, but with all you guys I think I got it across the finish line. 

IMG_4386.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4382.jpeg

IMG_4383.jpeg

IMG_4384.jpeg

IMG_4379.jpeg

IMG_4380.jpeg

IMG_4381.jpeg

IMG_4376.jpeg

IMG_4377.jpeg

IMG_4378.jpeg

IMG_4375.jpeg

IMG_4374.jpeg

Build commenced:  Oct 2022

Build completed:     Jan 2024

Duration: 15 months

Bill, you have to have set a record for this ship model build!  She looks wonderful ... I love the sails partly brailed up ... excellent work. You are now a master.

Congrats! What's next? A Roman galley perhaps? 😏